Experiences with non-techies

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That doesn't freaking count! xD In fact, couldn't they just do that now?  I've heard the PS4 menu runs in 4k even though no game can even do 1080p properly... just upscale from 480p and bam!  60 fps 4k gaming! xD    no... no.... 

It does not, but smart marketing does wonders.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

On 3/28/2016 at 4:52 AM, Hyper_X said:

Hide contents

Screenshot_2016-03-28-11-33-14~2.png.jpg

P.S. - He has Intel i7-6700k. :)

Linus, we need a "Cringy" button.

Now.

"Aw shucks, man. If ya hadn't a put that thing there, ya might not'a messed it up!"

>"Well where's the problem?"

"'Tween the Computer and the Chair. Error ID-Ten-T, I call it."

>"I don't get it."

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

On 3/12/2016 at 11:32 AM, Hyper_X said:

How to look like a "hacker":

-Open CMD and write random things that makes no sense.

That is exactly what everyone at my school does when there bored. For example one day my fellow classmate said "yo i wrote this really cool script." When i got over there i looked and all he did was look up all the commands and since it was scrollng by really fast i guess he thought it looked like what he saw in the movies lel

Desktop - CPU Intel i7-8700k @3.20ghz ~ Motherboard Dell OPHWHK ~ RAM 8GB of HyperX DDR4 ~ GPU Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 3GB ~ Case Dell case ~ Storage 1TB Hard Drive by WD and a Samsung 128 SSD ~ PSU EVGA 500W ~ Monitors MSI Optix G27C2 144hz ~ Cooling CM air cooled ~ Keyboard Corsair K70 ~ Mouse Logitech G502 ~ Headphones Skullcandys ~ OS Windows 10 Laptop 1CPU Intel i7-4700MQ ~ RAM 8GB of DDR3 ~ Motherboard Acer ~ Graphics GTX 750ti Laptop 2 2011 MacBook Pro

Everything is being upgraded so it might be out of date or I missed something

13 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

What? New RAM? And Haswell supports it?

Screenshot 2016-03-29 20.29.49.png

That DDR5 probably is for the graphics card. Otherwise they're lying or they think -1 + 2 = (0 / 0).

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

so today a kid asked my friend if he had a mounting bracket from amd chipset for his cooler that he could buy off myfriend. anyway conversation went on and he asked my friend if he could fix a couple bent pins on his brand new fx 8370.... so me and my friend are reading these texts kinda laughing cause this guy obviously isnt tech savvy yet he insists he is... so it goes on, he send a couple pictures and there were many clumps of 5 ish pins that were bent.. so we asked what happened and the guy said idk i put it in my motherboard and closed the retension arm and it bent some pins 0on the cpu and the mobo socket... me and my friend both look at each other cause theres no pins on an amd mobo... so we ask the kid what motherboard he has, he then replies...... an asus saber tooth.... z97........... yup the kid just put an amd cpu into an intel board.... so we tell the kid that its the wrong motherboard and thats for intel. he then replies "no its not you must not know anything... i got it in a bundle on amazon so its the right one" ...... so for some miracle he was able to get a refund on his fx 8370 and get a new one. the sad thing is that hes going to do it all over again when he gets the new cpu..... why cant people listen

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Was at a site today and a user said she couldn't do anything because her "computer was full", but none of the drives were showing as full.  She had to leave; I checked her computer.  C drive had >100MBs available.  Here's a screenshot of Windirstat...

Untitled.png.530ca997d46f2c763d91361ca9c

The problem was solved by cleaning history in IE.

I don't blame the user for not knowing why the drive was full, but I do blame them for...something...there must be some way I can blame them...okay fine maybe I'll just blame IE instead :P

"Waddle over to the elevator and we'll continue the testing." - GLaDOS, Portal 2

Primary System: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e540, upgraded with 16GB Kingston RAM & Intel 520 240GB SSD

25 minutes ago, thedigitaldoctor said:

Was at a site today and a user said she couldn't do anything because her "computer was full", but none of the drives were showing as full.  She had to leave; I checked her computer.  C drive had >100MBs available.  Here's a screenshot of Windirstat...

I don't blame the user for not knowing why the drive was full, but I do blame them for...something...there must be some way I can blame them...okay fine maybe I'll just blame IE instead :P

How... Just how...

i had to stop by my mothers hospital to give her something and while i was there i took a look at her computer since she was complaining it was so slow. (only logs, and event viewer no patient data. also im hippa certified). the machine was an older hp with pretty good specs, i5 2300 4 gigs of ram 1 tb hd. then looking at what was happening. 

oh my god

so two companys decided what got installed onto the computer one was some firm the hospital hired out and they installed an anti-virus on all the computers and then the hospital installed their own anti-virus on the computer, the cpu usage was always pinned at 85% and the ram usage was almost always at 3 gigs used by the system. it was a war zone. 

i sat back in awe and said to my mother " im sorry but this is not my war " then i left as silently as i had come in the only sound the sounds of the wounded conversing with their family and friends echoing down the hall.

i forgot to give her her mug of tea in the end.

as far as i know she is still in her chair waiting for her programs to load while the war rages on. 

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

1 hour ago, thedigitaldoctor said:

That big red and blue chunk can't just be from IE... I don't believe that

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

7 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

That big red and blue chunk can't just be from IE... I don't believe that

From what I could find, it definitely was.  Once I cleared the history in IE the folder was empty.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

The user does a fair amount of web-based mapping work and cloud document editing, but I'm pretty sure even that wouldn't be the cause of 90+GBs of temporary internet files.  Looking at the screenshot, it almost looks like a bunch of the files were duplicated at some point.  I wonder if some sort of duplication cause this...

"Waddle over to the elevator and we'll continue the testing." - GLaDOS, Portal 2

Primary System: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge e540, upgraded with 16GB Kingston RAM & Intel 520 240GB SSD

14 hours ago, Principis said:

How... Just how...

faith in humanity HAHA whats this faith you speak of. ive never heard of it. 

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

14 hours ago, thorbrantly101 said:

i had to stop by my mothers hospital to give her something and while i was there i took a look at her computer since she was complaining it was so slow. (only logs, and event viewer no patient data. also im hippa certified). the machine was an older hp with pretty good specs, i5 2300 4 gigs of ram 1 tb hd. then looking at what was happening. 

oh my god

so two companys decided what got installed onto the computer one was some firm the hospital hired out and they installed an anti-virus on all the computers and then the hospital installed their own anti-virus on the computer, the cpu usage was always pinned at 85% and the ram usage was almost always at 3 gigs used by the system. it was a war zone. 

i sat back in awe and said to my mother " im sorry but this is not my war " then i left as silently as i had come in the only sound the sounds of the wounded conversing with their family and friends echoing down the hall.

i forgot to give her her mug of tea in the end.

as far as i know she is still in her chair waiting for her programs to load while the war rages on. 

....... HOW JUST HOW. like i said to the last guy. whats this faith in humanity you speak of

Spoiler

When I lived with my parents I used to have a tv with an anti-glare coating. I came home one day and was told the cleaner had been in my room to clean up. All of the coating had been removed from the screen making nice and shiny. *YAY* I guess no one ever told her that not all TV's should be cleaned like glass.

6 hours ago, PepsiBandit said:

We I lived with my parents I used to have a tv with an anti-glare coating. I came home one day and was told the cleaner had been in my room to clean up. All of the coating had been removed from the screen making nice and shiny. *YAY* I guess no one ever told her that not all TV's should be cleaned like glass.

this is why i lock my room when mine comes. ive got like 4 monitors and all this shit that has to be cleaned specific ways. last time i let her in she tried to clean the inside of one of my servers.. WITH WINDEX!!!! SAYING IT WAS GOOD FOR ELECTRONICS!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK! thank god there was just an old motherboard in there at the time. which was broken beforehand. otherwise i would have really flipped shit.on the newly cleaned floors. i explained it to her and she didnt do it again but after that i clean my own room. i dont trust people to clean my shit.

Then there was the week i was paranoid (this was a week after the server incident) because i had a bunch of bare components on my desk while i was building the server. ... that was a stressful week

Spoiler

NOOOOOOOOOOOO THE LAST POST WAS OVER 16 HOURS AGO NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! SOMEONE HIT THE BIG RED BUTTON WE NEED NEW MATERIAL

Spoiler

*sigh*

People can't fuckin read ... after 5 weeks, people are still trying to change their passwords through the new remote access portal, even though 4 emails were sent about it!

God knows what the people above me are doing about it but my guess is: nothing

*goes back to reset passwords, unlock account and explain (for the "n" th time) that the new portal "password reset form" is broken* FU**

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

*sigh*

People can't fuckin read ... after 5 weeks, people are still trying to change their passwords through the new remote access portal, even though 4 emails were sent about it!

God knows what the people above me are doing about it but my guess is: nothing

*goes back to reset passwords, unlock account and explain (for the "n" th time) that the new portal "password reset form" is broken* FU**

Have you tried sending them physical copies of the notice?

That seemed to work the last time I had to announce something company-wide...

22 minutes ago, DigitalHermit said:

Have you tried sending them physical copies of the notice?

That seemed to work the last time I had to announce something company-wide...

Can't, our branch covers the whole province, so half our reps and managers are working from home, I don't think my boss would like it if I started fedexing out all these notices!

29 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Can't, our branch covers the whole province, so half our reps and managers are working from home, I don't think my boss would like it if I started fedexing out all these notices!

meh do it anyway but use a big shipping crate for each one on its own. or use amazon shipping boxes so they thinnk their package has arrived. im sitting here screwing with shit on miitomo. anyone else here have one. we should collectively exchange our friend things.im gonna post my friend picture qr thingy here in a bit 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DirtyDane said:

meh do it anyway but use a big shipping crate for each one on its own. or use amazon shipping boxes so they thinnk their package has arrived. im sitting here screwing with shit on miitomo. anyone else here have one. we should collectively exchange our friend things.im gonna post my friend picture qr thingy here in a bit 

That sounds like a good April Fools prank actually. Just sending sticky notes in huge shipping boxes...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

On 3/29/2016 at 9:08 PM, BingoFishy said:

At the summer camp I go to (also my friend's school) the web filter (iirc it's Sonicwall) is really messed up. It blocks all HTTPS websites, which is kinda backwards if you ask me. Also, most proxies are blocked. It's a physical piece of hardware and it does work quite well for the most part. According to my friend that goes to school there (total techie, knows more about software and networking than I do, though I know more about hardware. So I trust him. Anyway.) the people ARE techies. Idk why they did that. If you want, I can send a picture of their setup (courtesy of my friend if he's okay with it.)

EDIT: It's just a misconfigured firewall. My point still stands.

^

It means stuff like google is blocked too. Interestingly enough though, Bing isn't.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Dear Fkin GOD ...

Just got home, went to browse the local classified, open a few things and found a gem!!!

"Gaming" PC, and I swear, that guy describes himself as a professional PC builder!

CPU description: Amd phenom II x4 965 black edition 3400 mhz x8 (4 cores, 4 threads)

RAM description: 12GB dual-channels 3 x 4GB

WTF??? Since when cores and threads added up? And how is a 3x4GB RAM kit a dual-channel one????? (some motherboard will run in single channel but most motherboard will run 2X4GB in dual-channel and the 3rd DIMM in signle channel, so under any conditions, this ISN'T a dual-channel kit).

That's why I hate people that don't care about knowing about something they use everyday, this shit happens and then we (techies) are stuck fixing the shit those scammers throw everywhere! MERDE! (excuse my actual French)

*shuts down PC and walks away*

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Dear Fkin GOD ...

Just got home, went to browse the local classified, open a few things and found a gem!!!

"Gaming" PC, and I swear, that guy describes himself as a professional PC builder!

CPU description: Amd phenom II x4 965 black edition 3400 mhz x8 (4 cores, 4 threads)

RAM description: 12GB dual-channels 3 x 4GB

WTF??? Since when cores and threads added up? And how is a 3x4GB RAM kit a dual-channel one????? (some motherboard will run in single channel but most motherboard will run 2X4GB in dual-channel and the 3rd DIMM in signle channel, so under any conditions, this ISN'T a dual-channel kit).

That's why I hate people that don't care about knowing about something they use everyday, this shit happens and then we (techies) are stuck fixing the shit those scammers throw everywhere! MERDE! (excuse my actual French)

*shuts down PC and walks away*

get back here you have more stories to tell

Spoiler