Experiences with non-techies

On 4/6/2016 at 2:32 PM, wkdpaul said:

yeah, cheapest 980ti is around $800+ CAD, then you have to add taxes, in Quebec (where I am) it's 15% ... so just in sales taxes on a $800 GPU it's $120!!! So around $920 for the cheapest 980ti around here!

I used to like building computers as my total goal, and I used to want nothing more than a badass system.  I have come so far since that point, I think a 980ti isn't really worth it to be totally honest and I have a 960 and it runs fine, but in the end choose what you want. 

I just wanted to say for the fact of saying, because I get frustrated especially at my school where some people are just so obsessed with their computers that they spend money on them instead of their career. 

Another thing I hate is when people say they can do things they can't.  We are currently geocoding and so we must store coordinates in a database and pull it through both a PHP gateway and then to the Java code. We have to perform a complicated calculation in SQL to actually take load of both the web server and the java android application.  

But to the point, I look at it when the CEO tells me "Can you do that query?"  And I said "I'll do some research, most likely" and I didn't know for sure if SQL supported queries that complicated, however this guy goes "I know how to do it!"  

WELL WHERE THE F*** IS IT?!?!  He asked me to help him!?!?  I am the COO of a startup company and the CEO is relying on him to provide a complicated query...  I have trouble relying on people today.  

On 4/6/2016 at 2:08 AM, UnbrokenMotion said:

"When you delete a file from your hard drive, it's really just moved to a secret folder. *Proceeds to browse through System32*" 

By that logic, my hard drive should be bursting at the seams with irrelevant data. 

That's kinda true though, it is still stored until overwritten.  So while browsing System32 is not correct, you can still use applications to track down where the file is located and retrieve it.  It just isn't indexed, I'm assuming this uses some registry keys with the location of the data still or something idk.  Or just finds all the files on your hard drive physically. 

So, your hard drive is full of irrelevant data.  But don't worry, because that's supposed to happen and any good system engineer will tell you no matter what if it's supposed to happen, then just let it flow(AKA don't screw with it) .  

12 hours ago, Kalebtheking12 said:

One time this girl said she liked programming games instead of playing them. So i asked her what language she programmed them in (a normal question right?). She didn't miss a beat and replied, "Japaneses". I laughed and said, "No, what programming language". She paused and said, "Oh, that one with all the 0's and 1's".

There are a lot of people who want to make games and suck at coding.  I don't doubt they could make games, it's just you need motivation and curiosity to make good games because you need to learn those skills.  

I personally am a server guy, I'm not at the level where I can write my own actual servers but I want to be soon.  At the same time, those who want to make games can make games. 

As long as they don't work at EA or Ubisoft or any other big game company, where they are underpaid and overworked.  Server people are treated better than game devs in the big time industry because games are so much harder to develop.  

At IBM, you can write servers and get a bunch of time to relax when you need and you get decent work hours, at Ubisoft you probably stay up for days and days. 

I know an EX-Wells Fargo VP.  He stayed up for about a week every couple weeks because he was overworked. That is NOT the situation you want to be in, if you ever want to work hard and not sleep, start your own bloody company. 

Last year my Friend's second hand laptop (was handed down from her bother) was slow, still running Windows 8 not 8.1 (her brother had upgraded from 7 a year or two before and I think it had been a worn out install of 7), had literally a 1000 registry errors, and about 100 viruses. She didn't want to go to 8.1 at the time so I went with what I had to work with. cleaned the whole system with malwarebytes, ran it 3 times, used CCleaner to fix the registry, and defragged the hard drive. My Girlfriend gave her one of her keys to Kaspersky and set her up on that. It was still a bit slow but much safer and quicker than before. A month later the laptop died, turns out it was a Dell laptop notorious for over heating and having CPU and GPU separation. Only solution at the time was to do the towel trick (we were at college then and this was her only computer to do school work on) and then let it cool. I told her it would only work a few times at most and she needed to back it up before it wouldn't work anymore. She then preceded to use the towel trick every few days instead of backing it up and getting a loaner or cheap used laptop, It ran shorter and shorter times until the towel trick didn't work anymore. She ended up nuking it, losing all her data, (I had no HDD reader and she probably couldn't use an electric can opener), and she had to use the school's lab computers to do her work, including her last project for the last month before we graduated. She went home with a Dell paperweight and it probably was tossed with all her data still stuck in it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

1 hour ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Snip

i really really want to get into game development but im a hands on learner. so its really hard to figure it out all on my own. the ideal situation for me would be for someone to actually show me how to do it and work on it with me. Right now im in the process of learning to work with both the unity engine and the unreal 4 engine. although i may have to drop unity because i cant afford modeling programs or the plethora of other external programs that are needed to fully utilize it. i have notebooks full of ideas and half fleshed out systems that i want to implement and make, it sucks not being able to make your dream a reality due to sheer inabiltiy to. one of these days i will find someone to sit down and teach me programming in C# or C++ or something depends on the engine i stick with. 

that reminds me does anyone know how to get ahold of a dev kit for the source engine?

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

14 hours ago, derick90 said:

Welllll, it doesn't move it, but it's not gone, it just labels it as free space on the drive so it can be overwritten, so until it is overwritten it is still recoverable to a certain extent.. 

Yes I am aware of this. but that still works differently than simply moving a file. simply moving a file does not free up any space on a hard drive and that is what I was getting at.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

50 minutes ago, HrutkayMods said:

Last year my Friend's second hand laptop (was handed down from her bother) was slow, still running Windows 8 not 8.1 (her brother had upgraded from 7 a year or two before and I think it had been a worn out install of 7), had literally a 1000 registry errors, and about 100 viruses. She didn't want to go to 8.1 at the time so I went with what I had to work with. cleaned the whole system with malwarebytes, ran it 3 times, used CCleaner to fix the registry, and defragged the hard drive. My Girlfriend gave her one of her keys to Kaspersky and set her up on that. It was still a bit slow but much safer and quicker than before. A month later the laptop died, turns out it was a Dell laptop notorious for over heating and having CPU and GPU separation. Only solution at the time was to do the towel trick (we were at college then and this was her only computer to do school work on) and then let it cool. I told her it would only work a few times at most and she needed to back it up before it wouldn't work anymore. She then preceded to use the towel trick every few days instead of backing it up and getting a loaner or cheap used laptop, It ran shorter and shorter times until the towel trick didn't work anymore. She ended up nuking it, losing all her data, (I had no HDD reader and she probably couldn't use an electric can opener), and she had to use the school's lab computers to do her work, including her last project for the last month before we graduated. She went home with a Dell paperweight and it probably was tossed with all her data still stuck in it.

sounds like a pain in the ass

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

*snip*

*sigh*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

*sigh*

「sigh」

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DirtyDane said:

「sigh」

<div>
  <p>sigh</p>
</div>

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

7 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

<div>
  <p>sigh</p>
</div>

latest?cb=20140105221224

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

「sigh」

but seriously, it's ironic that he start with complaining about people talking out of their ass, then proceeds to says deleted file could be recovered from the registry (WTF?!?!?) and how he would love to "write a server" ... what the literal f***?

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

but seriously, it's ironic that he start with complaining about people talking out of their ass, then proceeds to says deleted file could be recovered from the registry (WTF?!?!?) and how he would love to "write a server" ... what the literal f***?

dammit you broke the cycle. now we have to start the signs over again

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

dammit you broke the cycle. now we have to start the signs over again

I know, I'm a rebel! xD

9 hours ago, DirtyDane said:

i really really want to get into game development but im a hands on learner. so its really hard to figure it out all on my own. the ideal situation for me would be for someone to actually show me how to do it and work on it with me. Right now im in the process of learning to work with both the unity engine and the unreal 4 engine. although i may have to drop unity because i cant afford modeling programs or the plethora of other external programs that are needed to fully utilize it. i have notebooks full of ideas and half fleshed out systems that i want to implement and make, it sucks not being able to make your dream a reality due to sheer inabiltiy to. one of these days i will find someone to sit down and teach me programming in C# or C++ or something depends on the engine i stick with. 

that reminds me does anyone know how to get ahold of a dev kit for the source engine?

Well.   Coding isn't something a lot of people are naturally talented with, I'm not either.  But it takes time and understanding, your best bet is to try and try and try.  The best IT people learnt what they learnt because they spent ages trying to figure out one problem.  And learnt massively from that experience.  

I suggest going with c# and Unity at first to be totally honest.  And then would move onto Unreal Engine or something.  It depends, if you want to get into game development I suggest working for an indie game dev company or something, maybe Valve if you're lucky.  But a lot of game dev jobs are terrible because they overwork people.

8 hours ago, daniellearmouth said:

<div>
  <p>sigh</p>
</div>

Why the random div?  All I can think is that you want to separate your code from the rest of the code.  

10 hours ago, HrutkayMods said:

That must have been frustraiting.  I get really frustraited in those situations because some people just don't understand the risks and keep exploiting the fact there is a way to revive their personal computer with all their super important data for a few more minutes. 

1 minute ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Why the random div?  All I can think is that you want to separate your code from the rest of the code.

Because I'm a div.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

"1080p" xD

?
Ultra HD is 4K

Also, snip that image.

Specs:

Just now, BingoFishy said:

?
Ultra HD is 4K

Capture.PNG.8d588510ac68cf335f616a4dd5599a11.PNG

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

Capture.PNG.8d588510ac68cf335f616a4dd5599a11.PNG

Never mind then.

Ouch.

Specs:

3 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

?
Ultra HD is 4K

Also, snip that image.

Nah, they used a little "d" :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Just now, Fetzie said:

Nah, they used a little "d" :)

Look in the description

Specs:

On 4/2/2016 at 0:03 AM, BingoFishy said:

This:Laptop Station.jpg

Saw this gem at a hotel. Almost want to cry. ;(

This makes me want to do a pickaxe lobotomy on myself.

"Aw shucks, man. If ya hadn't a put that thing there, ya might not'a messed it up!"

>"Well where's the problem?"

"'Tween the Computer and the Chair. Error ID-Ten-T, I call it."

>"I don't get it."

2 minutes ago, PC Engi said:

This makes me want to do a pickaxe lobotomy on myself.

Sounds dangerous.

Specs:

On 1/15/2013 at 9:47 PM, rainbrodash666 said:

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

Wow. Just...wow.