Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, henkka_scorpio said:

but hey it can run GTA5 at 30fps

i mean like at 1024x768, with all min settings but still.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-260-vs-Intel-HD-530-Mobile-Skylake/3160vsm34955

*cough cough*

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

OMG you guys will love this one... xD 

So I bought Undertale for my girlfriend as a gift on Steam.  She authenticated it, but hasn't been able to play it yet.  Last night, she told me that she couldn't find it in her Steam library.  Then we had this conversation today:

Me: "Hey...did you download the Steam app yet?"

Her: "No, I didn't realize that was a thing."

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

One thing that I can't stand is that my family is a bit of an Apple enthusiast family (except for me). I personally can't stand our mac (it's running on a 1.6 GHz dual-core, 8gb 1866 MHz ddr3, and integrated intel graphics) for all of that absolutely dreadful hardware and that it only has a 21.5 inch 1080p display. God knows how they sell that for $1100 seeing as that I made a pcpartpicker with the same specs and included a same spec display and it came out at under $500, but I digress. It is safe to say that my family knows basically nothing about technology. So when I text my mom telling her that our mac is incredibly slow (because of the specs I listed above), she says that there is a problem with the internet, and that it could be too far away. The only issue with that is that our wifi is right next to the mac. When I tell her that, she says the wifi could be broken. Once I convince her that it has to do with the computer having hardware from the 1800's, she says that the computer could have an issue, and maybe a virus. The only issue is that mac's are so incredibly restricted and childproof, that they can't get viruses. Once I tell her that, she doesn't believe me. Then I have to make a 10 minute long video showing her spec by spec how incredibly weak the mac is compared to a pc of the same price. She still somehow isn't convinced. So I just give up and take in the fact that she lives the same dumb lifestyle of every other retarded apple enthusiast where they think that more price = more performance. 

On 1/16/2013 at 9:32 PM, TetraSky said:

The latest for me, is my mother calling me to ask why her computer mouse doesn't work (while shouting that it's a piece of crap and what not), when I get there, I find she managed to plug the USB mouse in the Ethernet port of her laptop.. Couldn't help facepalming in front of her.

How could a person not plug a usb mouse into a usb port, but instead into an ethernet port?

17 minutes ago, Autz said:

she says that the computer could have an issue, and maybe a virus. The only issue is that mac's are so incredibly restricted and childproof, that they can't get viruses

Yes you can, there is just not as many as on windows or other oses.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

15 minutes ago, Autz said:

How could a person not plug a usb mouse into a usb port, but instead into an ethernet port?

Because a usb connector fits snugly in an ethernet port. Also stupidity.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

57 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Because a usb connector fits snugly in an ethernet port. Also stupidity.

My mom has done this multiple times.  It's irritating.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

I have another one again today.

Remember the discord guy who said you that only X99 i7s are the only real i7s.

Now he's saying there are no i7s on the X99 platform and that X99 is for Xeons only and meant for servers.

..yeah

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Now he's saying there are no i7s on the X99 platform and that X99 is for Xeons only and meant for servers.

..yeah

I feel sorry for you. Sure the xeons and the i7s share the same LGA2011 v3 socket, server motherboard are made with very different featuresets, so I have no idea where he got this idea of where x99 boards are ment for servers as gaming grade rgb x board will not be used in that scenario anyway.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

My father doesn't know how to copy and paste files, doesn't know how to setup the easy process of Android first time setup, accidentally factory reset his phone and doesn't know how to install apps from the google play store. The only thing he does know is watching youtube and writing a word document, after some assistance. That is from what I remember, there should be a lot more that I have forgotten about.

Well, at least my parents thinks Elementary OS (a Linux OS) is easy to use cause I had it setup as a HTPC, lol.

1 hour ago, BlazingGunnerFTW said:

I feel sorry for you. Sure the xeons and the i7s share the same LGA2011 v3 socket, server motherboard are made with very different featuresets, so I have no idea where he got this idea of where x99 boards are ment for servers as gaming grade rgb x board will not be used in that scenario anyway.

I mean, he's the type that thinks (and I'm quoting him here) that my 860K can't game, because it's AMD and only a $70 CPU.

Like, bullshit, I know it does.

41 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

860K can't game

well it really depends on what the person classifies as gaming

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

6 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

..yeah

please just PM me his discord tag and i will drop the information hammer on that idiot. or try, seeing as most of the people who say this kind of shit refuse to learn. like the guy who bought a 750TI a month ago saying it would do 4K gameing and that the RX460 was shit compared.

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I mean, he's the type that thinks (and I'm quoting him here) that my 860K can't game, because it's AMD and only a $70 CPU.

Like, bullshit, I know it does.

jesus just show him some benchmarks or something already...

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

well it really depends on what the person classifies as gaming

its "fine" for 1080p low-medium

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

please just PM me his discord tag and i will drop the information hammer on that idiot. or try, seeing as most of the people who say this kind of shit refuse to learn. like the guy who bought a 750TI a month ago saying it would do 4K gameing and that the RX460 was shit compared.

jesus just show him some benchmarks or something already...

which discord? I wanna see some kiddo get slammed by le good old info hammer

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

which discord? I wanna see some kiddo get slammed by le good old info hammer

i can post some screen caps if i get the tag so i can PM him on Discord. im 99% sure that he will just refuse to accept the facts. people tend to get deffensive and shut down when slapped in the face with facts.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well, best benchmark I can give for the 860K is that Gears of War 4 and Titanfall 2, two very recent AAA titles (newest ones I own) both run at high settings respectively.  60FPS smooth for both.

Also, I'm not giving his discord tag.  He's a mod for this server I'm on.

I spilt water on my motherboard 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I spilt water on my motherboard 

like iv handled tech stuff with wet-ish hands but you just took it to another level, was it on?

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

like iv handled tech stuff with wet-ish hands but you just took it to another level, was it on?

Yes

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Yes

im not sure if im laughing or crying anymore...

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im not sure if im laughing or crying anymore...

:( 

image.jpeg

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

:( 

why have you not powered down and cleaned up your mess man?...

Builds:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

why have you not powered down and cleaned up your mess man?...

I have 

I did that yesterday. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I have 

I did that yesterday. 

Is it fine now? You're lucky your computer didn't flat out break...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Is it fine now? You're lucky your computer didn't flat out break...

It's fine now :) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.