Experiences with non-techies

My dad understand more about tech than me, yet I get access to literally everything in the house. Why wouldn't you get access to Wi-fi

I don't get router access, but I still have wifi. Maybe his parents don't like him on the wifi?

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

I don't get router access, but I still have wifi. Maybe his parents don't like him on the wifi?

I couldn't imagine life without wifi...

I sound like a white girl now lol

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

I once called Microsoft tech support because I couldn't figure out how flip the display on windows.

Insert Sarcasm / Raging / Bragging / Inspirational Crap Here.

No, they can't imagine life without wifi and 4G LTE. I can't live without wifi. How would I watch Linus?

Pentium G3258, R9 280X, Corsair CS600M, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 2 Random monitors, a no-name keyboard, a cheap $15 Logitech mouse.

LG G3 Vigor

Ethernet?

But the routers upstairs and the office is downstairs!

LG G3 Vigor

But the routers upstairs and the office is downstairs!

Powerline

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I could absolutely imagine life without wifi since I rarely use it. Life without Ethernet on the other hand... well it would really suck.

My dad understand more about tech than me, yet I get access to literally everything in the house. Why wouldn't you get access to Wi-fi

Because I don't pay for it. I have to fix everything tech in the house, if I refuse, the Wi-Fi gets turned off, luckily, I have a spare router in my room, since it used to be a office, it has a DSL port, so I plug 3 cords in, and I'm off, I'm the only one who knows the password too!

I could absolutely imagine life without wifi since I rarely use it. Life without Ethernet on the other hand... well it would really suck.

I have only an ethernet switch in my moms pc, so yeah. I would start crying if I lost 802.11ac (If I had it :( cause an ISP provided modem/access point 2 in 1 wont help. I get (when nobody else is using it) 12 megs down and ~1MB up. 

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

CAD doesn't really NEED a good GPU (though having one certainly helps) but it does need an amazing CPU if your model has more than 100 simple parts or only a few complicated parts unless you want to spend more time waiting for the computer to load a view change than actually modeling.

On this note, the tech guys at my school think that the engineering computers: 6-7 year old Dells running on Core 2 Duos with 4GB of RAM and are clogged with enough dust that you could make a tennis ball just by compressing the dust into a ball from ONE COMPUTER (so they are undoubtedly throttling) are quote "good enough for CAD"

I'm not positive what GPU they have, I think they use 7600GTs but I may not be remembering correctly.

Eh, not as bad as my school. They have some budget Celeron PC's with 4GB (Maybe two, I don't know) that are all in a line INSIDE a desk with no ventilation. 

You literally aren't allowed to use colours and textures on autodesk because it 'crashes the server', when in reality the computers are too crap to handle anything more than five parts to a model  :D

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

I was looking at a GTX 980 Windforce while on break in construction and this guy sees my iPad.

Him: Is that a razor blade or something?

Me: What? What kind of razors do you use?

Him: What is that then.

Me: It's a graphics card.

Him and about 4 other people who over heard the conversation: What is a graphics card?

I explained to the best if my ability. One guy jokingly called me a nerd.

Funny thing is, that guy plans on becoming a construction engineer which relies on CAD for a large majority of the work.

CAD requires a decent GPU.

I told him this and he says "So it's for computers of something? Why would I need that my laptop will work."

I looked at his shitty iMac from 2002 and just ignored him.

CAD doesn't really NEED a good GPU (though having one certainly helps) but it does need an amazing CPU if your model has more than 100 simple parts or only a few complicated parts unless you want to spend more time waiting for the computer to load a view change than actually modeling.

On this note, the tech guys at my school think that the engineering computers: 6-7 year old Dells running on Core 2 Duos with 4GB of RAM and are clogged with enough dust that you could make a tennis ball just by compressing the dust into a ball from ONE COMPUTER (so they are undoubtedly throttling) are quote "good enough for CAD"

I'm not positive what GPU they have, I think they use 7600GTs but I may not be remembering correctly.

At my school, we're doing some REALLY basic CAD using PTC ProDesktop 8 (I think the last release of it was in 2003 or something) - and we're somehow able to use it over Linux thin clients to a constantly overdedicated VM server. And it runs quite well, but I guess that's just because we're only working with up to a few parts.

And we have to 'blog' it in PowerPoint - press the 'PrentScreh' key and then paste and crop it inside the slide. This is almost impossible due to how slowly the screen updates.

Sig under construction.

Powerline

Or just do what I did. Buy a 15 meter cable and run it from the router all the way to your room upstairs.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Or just do what I did. Buy a 15 meter cable and run it from the router all the way to your room upstairs.

Yup. I have an even more elaborate setup. We've actually cabled around the lower roof (yes, we have a particularly weird house) and across the front wall.

Sig under construction.

-snip-

Firefox! Yeah!

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

this is sad

On the other hand, what does your country's most popular browser?

-snip-

#portugalchromemasterrace xD

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

this is sad

I feel like this has to be outdated. I thought Chrome had overtaken IE as the most popular browser?

On IE being as "popular" as it is, a lot of people don't even know what an internet browser is so I don't think it'd occur to them to switch to a 3rd party one.

I feel like this has to be outdated. I thought Chrome had overtaken IE as the most popular browser?

On IE being as "popular" as it is, a lot of people don't even know what an internet browser is so I don't think it'd occur to them to switch to a 3rd party one.

True, considering that Sudan isn't split on this map, but still :P

EDIT: also, you would be surprised on how popular IE is.

this is sad

-imgsnip

Awhh, come on. IE really for the UK?

Sig under construction.

Awhh, come on. IE really for the UK?

Not among this crowd, but in general as it is shipped with Windows I could well believe it.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

didnt know where to put this, thought it was brilluiant.

Fej9M5P.png

Like a landline phone. Because it plugs into the wall like a landline phone.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I had a customer one day return her computer system that she called about saying it wasn't working.

She said "I plugged the speakers in and the monitor went black." I said. "Did you plug the speakers into the back of the computer?"

She said "No. I plugged it into the wall." I said "Ma'am it has power built in from the monitor and that the green cable is what goes into the green spot on the back of the PC." "Where did you plug it in at."

She pointed to the GROUND OUTLET on the wall power outlet.

Lets just say I politely pointed and showed her where to plug it in at. Gave her a replacement monitor at no cost since it was cooked. Thank god it wasn't her that was cooked.