DOA product, do I have to pay shipping BOTH ways!? NCIX

Bupalooga

So i got a shield tablet shipped to me here in Australia from Ncix Canada & is doesn't recognize any sim cards, iv tries 1 AT&T and 2 Optus ones. Iv been through all the trouble shooting with NCIX & Nvidia. It did have old android when i got it so i ran all the updates, factory resets and the like but nothing has worked and my customer service representative has just said:

"We can help cover the warranty but we would need to receive the tablet back in BC, Canada to replace it and you may be responsible for covering the shipping to send the replacement back to Australia."

I expected that I might pay to begrudgingly ship it back to them, but to pay for them to ship it back!?   I think NOT!

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

In their defense, you do live in Australia :unsure: 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes, it's true. This is the sole reason why my headset is still broke shipping is too much.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

What did you really expect?

I never expected to have to pay for the new product!

My sister works in a local computer shop and she said some manufacturers will reimburse the return postage once its a confirmed manufacturers fault but they never charge for return shipping. Would have bought it locally if it were sold here.

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w

I never expected to have to pay for the new product!

My sister works in a local computer shop and she said some manufacturers will reimburse the return postage once its a confirmed manufacturers fault but they never charge for return shipping. Would have bought it locally if it were sold here.

That's part of the risk in purchasing from overseas mate.

So... is the sim card thing the only thing that doesn't work?
If so, I wouldn't call that "DOA".

Have you looked here ?
http://support-shield.nvidia.com/tablet-user-guide/index.htm#t=lte-models.htm

My guess is either there's an issue with the sim card themselves or it's simply not compatible with the network there. From what I could find on google, Telstra LTE seems to work with the shield tablet. I see zero mention of AT&T and Optus.

But honestly why do you want the cellphone network connected to the shield tablet? Aren't you guys also getting gouged when it comes to mobile data over there?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

But honestly why do you want the cellphone network connected to the shield tablet? Aren't you guys also getting gouged when it comes to mobile data over there?

I confirmed with optus that it would work before purchasing. I want to mount a tablet in my car to use for gps, car OBDII interface, music & entertainment hub. I have 5gb a month on my mobile plan that i can share with a tablet by connecting a second sim to the account.

I chose the shield specifically because i was interested in the gamestream technology and knew console mode is something that i would definitely use.

Would i be able to rma direct to Nvidia? or is going through NCIX the only option?

Aussie FTW!

I confirmed with optus that it would work before purchasing. I want to mount a tablet in my car to use for gps, car OBDII interface, music & entertainment hub. I have 5gb a month on my mobile plan that i can share with a tablet by connecting a second sim to the account.

I chose the shield specifically because i was interested in the gamestream technology and knew console mode is something that i would definitely use.

Would i be able to rma direct to Nvidia? or is going through NCIX the only option?

How did you confirm it would work with optus? Did they check the shield serial and take your location.  Because not all devices are compatible with all towers in Aus, even some phones won't work in more remote places where the towers haven't been upgraded.

Unfortunately because you purchased from overseas you are not subject to Australian consumer laws.  If they say you have to send it back to NCIX then that's what you have to do.  I would try calling or emailing Nvidia regarding the issue, you never no they might just put you in contact with Australian warranty.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I found the network bands the canadian/us version of the tablet operates on and contacted optus, who confirmed it was compatible with both 4g and one out of two of the 3g bands used in my area. But that's not the issue. It doesn't READ the sim card, it doesnt recognize that its even in there. The AT&T one came with it in the box so it should definately be able to read that.

Aussie FTW!

I found the network bands the canadian/us version of the tablet operates on and contacted optus, who confirmed it was compatible with both 4g and one out of two of the 3g bands used in my area. But that's not the issue. It doesn't READ the sim card, it doesnt recognize that its even in there. The AT&T one came with it in the box so it should definately be able to read that.

then your best bet is to contact Nvidia Australia (or international) and hope they can help.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If they are willing to SELL to AUS market they should be willing to properly SUPPORT the AUS market....

or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

If they are willing to SELL to AUS market they should be willing to properly SUPPORT the AUS market....

Disagree. That's expensive for them (shipping to Australia from Canada is probably most of their margin on the product) and it's for too small of a market. But they shouldn't not ship to Australia, if the buyer assumes the risks involved - I buy a fair bit from Newegg, and do not assume that they are going to freely ship me replacements if something goes wrong. Hence why I buy lower risk items such as RAM. 

Anything that requires a SIM card is going to be a very risky purchase overseas, and if you want proper support, buy local. If you buy from Canada, you should expect to lose your Australian consumer rights (which are excellent) and accept that there is a certain level of risk.

See if you can cancel the deal.  That way you get the purchase price back and only need to pay 2x shipping instead of 3.  Then look for one locally.

Do they not have DOA insurance for overseas stuff?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Usually only covers shipping damage.

If there is something in the U.S. that covers monetary loss from a product being dead on arrival then, no, it does not apply to overseas purchases (unless an insurance policy is separately purchased)

Se if you can cancel the deal.  That way you get the purchase price back and only need to pay 2x shipping instead of 3.  Then look for one locally.

I could send it back for a refund but they're not available in Australia which is why importing was the only option.

Only shipping insurance

Aussie FTW!

• 4 weeks later...

So i thought id better finish this off by saying how it ended up.

I had to ship it back to them but they paid postage to send back the new item. & there was no waiting time, I received notification of them receiving the tablet and another notification of them posting out the new one that same day. New one works perfectly.

Aussie FTW!

So i thought id better finish this off by saying how it ended up.

I had to ship it back to them but they paid postage to send back the new item. & there was no waiting time, I received notification of them receiving the tablet and another notification of them posting out the new one that same day. New one works perfectly.

That is awesome to hear.  Gald it worked out well for you,  and Kudos to NCIX for stumping the shipping.