Judge: IP-Address Doesn't Identify a Movie Pirate

ObscureMammal

Source: https://torrentfreak.com/judge-ip-address-doesnt-identify-a-movie-pirate-150410/

https://www.scribd.com/doc/261439695/Torrentfreak-Manny-Ruling-Ip-Address

Judge: IP-Address Doesn't Identify a Movie Pirate

The filmmakers behind the action movie "Manny" have filed hundreds of lawsuits against BitTorrent pirates this year, but not have been successful. In a prominent ruling Florida District Court Judge Ursula Ungaro refused to issue a subpoena, arguing that IP-address evidence is not enough to show who has downloaded a pirated movie.

While relatively underreported, many U.S. district courts are still swamped with lawsuits against alleged film pirates.

One of the newcomers this year are the makers of the action movie Manny. Over the past few months “Manny Film” has filed 215 lawsuits across several districts.

Like all copyright holders, the makers of the film rely on IP-addresses as evidence. They then ask the courts to grant a subpoena, forcing Internet providers to hand over the personal details of the associated account holders.

In most cases the courts sign off on these requests, but in Florida this isn’t as straightforward.

When District Court Judge Ursula Ungaro was assigned a Manny Film case she asked the company to explain how an IP-address can pinpoint the actual person who downloaded a pirated film. In addition, she asked them to show that geolocation tools are good enough to prove that the alleged pirate resides in the Court’s district.

In a detailed reply the filmmakers argued that IP-addresses can identify the defendant and that a refusal to grant a subpoena would set a “dangerous precedent.” Manny Film further stated that “all other courts” disagreed with the notion that an IP-address is not a person.

This last remark didn’t go down well with Judge Ungaro. In an order handed down this week she cites various cases where courts ruled that IP-addresses don’t always identify the alleged offenders.

“Due to the risk of ‘false positives,’ an allegation that an IP address is registered to an individual is not sufficient in and of itself to support a claim that the individual is guilty of infringement,” wrote the Judge citing a 2012 case, one of many examples......

I'm sure everybody here knows that an IP address does not — by itself — qualify as personal information that can accurately identify a specific person. Hopefully this trend continues and more people will come to realize this.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

I don't pirate  :ph34r:

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

swag.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I don't pirate  :ph34r:

The thing is, if this had gone the other way around and someone had used your ip address without your permission you could have been charged for pirating.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The thing is, if this had gone the other way around and someone had used your ip address without your perfmission you could have been charged for pirating.

Ouch....

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Well, maybe because dynamic IPs and multiple PCs under each of them is a thing for a while now?

Bet they want IPv6 to hurry up and be implemented.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Bet they want IPv6 to hurry up and be implemented.

Would IPv6 basically make an IP address person specific? What changes would this bring with it in this context?

Since IPv6 addresses are 128 bits long, the theoretical address space if all addresses were used is 2128 addresses. This number, when expanded out, is 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456, which is normally expressed in scientific notation as about 3.4*1038 addresses. That's about 340 trillion, trilliontrillion addresses. As I said, it's pretty hard to grasp just how large this number is. Consider:

• It's enough addresses for many trillions of addresses to be assigned to every human being on the planet. 

There wont be a need for NAT & PAT with IPv6

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Good job. We need more judges like this.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

What happens if i go to a Wi-Free area and download something? identify that biatch.

What if i share wi-fi/ethernet with someone else like a neighbours or friend? identify that bitach.

What if i use a VPN over a free wi-fi? ok ok ill stop now...

IP is a person,like my ass is a rainbow.

If your ISP and your local network are using IPv6 than that address can be tied to a device unless that device runs Windows. Windows uses a temp IPv6 address that gets randomly generated at boot. Linux and Mac use IPv6 addresses based off the MAC address of the device. 

A judge, from the us, has sense... mind blown

UmpOi.gif

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

To the copyright bastards, from me:

nelsonhaha.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs