AMD x86 16-core Zen APU detailed

ahhming

It does.

Then which slide I'm supposed to take ??? the one that disagrees or agrees ?? which one if more reliable ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

AMD? Up to date? No way... MOM, AMD IS LYING AGAIN!!!

But seriously, it's about dammed time.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Then which slide I'm supposed to take ??? the one that disagrees or agrees ?? which one if more reliable ??

I think the comparison slide is only suggesting the memory technology limits meanwhile the above is directly from Micron of packages that will be available later in 2015.

MCDRAM is not HMC but an altered variant that Intel built with Micron specifically for KL. Neither of which are even standardized.

HMC is standardized, just not by JEDEC. There's a ton of companies in the HMC consortium, and frankly it's time JEDEC stepped aside. They've slowed down DRAM progress for far too long.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I wonder how that relate to my statement you quoted?

Is it just me, or does the slide you posted disagree with your statement?

All this FUD spreading around..

Then having 2x16 zen core die in MCM would fit the rumoured 32c/64t SKU that were floating around.

Old slides from late 2013/early 2014. MCDRAM (Memory Cube DRAM hint hint @Opcode) beats the living daylights out of HBM 1.0 bandwidth.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Bout time AMD started doing hyperthreading. Sun Microsystems were doing it decades ago (single cores with 24 multi-threads or some crazy ****), then intel caught on to the benefits. As for people crying over integrated graphics on a cpu, since when was this an issue? Moving forward we are seeing more and more background uses happening with iGPU, even when a pc has discrete graphics. That being said, if they can cram enough gpu cores onto the die with HBM unified memory, why would you even need a discrete GPU, when the APU would essentially be the same thing, with that kind of memory bandwidth. smh. No one likes progress. Word is they are even talking 300 Watt TDP APUs @ 14nm. Thats absurd.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Old slides from late 2013/early 2014. MCDRAM (Memory Cube DRAM hint hint @Opcode) beats the living daylights out of HBM 1.0 bandwidth.

MCDRAM (Multiple Channel DRAM) or another fancy word for HBM is not exactly the same as HMC (Hybrid Memory Cube).

You referenced in a previous post that HMC itself can exceed 340 GB/s.

Funny, because it seems to me the MCDRAM blocks aboard KNL individually top out at 340GB/s

MCDRAM is a hacked up variant of HMC that adds in channeling to make it effectively similar to HBM just without the need for an interposer.

A single A10 7850K core is on par with a single FX 8350.

If a single Zen core is as powerful as 7850K (Hopefully a lot more) and CPU has 16 CPU cores and 32 threads, with 16 GB HBM on chip, we are talking about game changing multi threading performance here.

Bout time AMD started doing hyperthreading. Word is they are even talking 300 Watt TDP APUs @ 14nm. Thats absurd.

Well we had to wait for a new architecture from AMD, they weren't just going to magically add HT to Bullldozer, They bet on physical multithreading being the future and they had to pay for their bad bet, hopefully this new architecture can be a solid base for competing with intel.

point 2, Aren't intel server chips rated for 150w? i imagine the 300w AMD number is only going to be in play if you load the CPU and GPU, if its just a CPU task i imagine the consumption would be way more competitive, and in a task that needs GPUs an intel system would need one anyways.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

A single A10 7850K core is on par with a single FX 8350.

If a single Zen core is as powerful as 7850K (Hopefully a lot more) and CPU has 16 CPU cores and 32 threads, with 16 GB HBM on chip, we are talking about game changing multi threading performance here.

Wouidn't that effectively be the same performance as the opterons out now? 16x a single 8350 core? this arch better deliver 2x the performance of BD if it wants to keep up.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Well we had to wait for a new architecture from AMD, they weren't just going to magically add HT to Bullldozer, They bet on physical multithreading being the future and they had to pay for their bad bet, hopefully this new architecture can be a solid base for competing with intel.

point 2, Aren't intel server chips rated for 150w? i imagine the 300w AMD number is only going to be in play if you load the CPU and GPU, if its just a CPU task i imagine the consumption would be way more competitive, and in a task that needs GPUs an intel system would need one anyways.

Yeah, I realize they needed a new architecture to do multi-threading. My remark about the 300W tdp being absurd is more out of excitement than any negativity. The potential is insane.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Wouidn't that effectively be the same performance as the opterons out now? 16x a single 8350 core? this arch better deliver 2x the performance of BD if it wants to keep up.

Exactly. It will be like getting a consumer version of an Opteron. All the video encoding, physics processing, rendering. I can't say much about gaming and multithread, but onboard HBM should speed things up.

Exactly. It will be like getting a consumer version of an Opteron. All the video encoding, physics processing, rendering. I can't say much about gaming and multithread, but onboard HBM should speed things up.

This is an opteron though, not a consumer part, didn't you see the ECC memory? 

Some Xeons are consumer grade. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Some Xeons are consumer grade. 

Yeah i know their are Xeons that are just rebranded i5s and i7s but they run on consumer (Xx7) chipsets no? they don't use ECC afaik

As far as I know all AMD FX and APU supports ECC. Doesn't matter consumer or server.

Yeah i know their are Xeons that are just rebranded i5s and i7s but they run on consumer (Xx7) chipsets no? they don't use ECC afaik

Yeah a couple of them support ECC

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

They can use ECC memory. What do you think the Q chipsets are for?

Come on baby just one more year * talking to my beloved Phenom II*

A 8 cores AMD CPU with single core performance equal Ivy bridge or Haswell is my dream. 

To be fair their version of multi-threading wasn't the problem it was their IMPLEMENTATION. THey cut corners in its design and assembly that wound up hobbling it royally. With a proper build up their avenue of MT would have worked fine. The places they cut corners wouldn't have mattered with FULL HSA where the GPU could take up the slack, but in a straight CPU where it has hold itself up the MASSIVE tradeoffs meant per core performance was always going to be awful. IF they had built it with proper industry competitive level components it would have been competitive across the board.

ZEN is really going to be a CPU designed the RIGHT way in the same family of operation as an Intel CPU. Had they given bulldozer ZEN level support and required ZEN level sophistication there never would have been that debacle.

It seems to me that the GPU portion is a separate die entirely, so it's not really taking away from the CPU so much as it is making it a more versatile platform.  

Not correct, only Intel does this (with their iris pro?), as the CPU and GPU has no HSA or similar advanced functionality. This is a picture of an AMD APU die:

amd-apu-april2013-1.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Not correct, only Intel does this (with their iris pro?), as the CPU and GPU has no HSA or similar advanced functionality. This is a picture of an AMD APU die:

That is their current APU design, not the new Zen based design the OP is talking about.

AMD is using coherent fabrics to interconnect the Zen CPU die and Greenland graphics die, and it also uses coherent fabric for inter communication between Zen die CPUs and Caches, PSP, Times, counters, ACPI or Legacy interface, GMI Physics, Combo Physics, Host Controllers like USD, SATA or GbE and Memory controllers. GMI stands for Global Memory interconnect and this is the interface between Zen die and Greenland die, or between two chips on the same multi-chip module package.

My interpretation of this is that the dies are considered separate.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti