Microsoft Open Source Windows Definitely Possible

Arty

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/microsoft-open-source-windows-definitely-possible/

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2905258/microsoft-windows/windows-goes-open-source-microsoft-plays-coy.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/techflash/2015/04/an-open-source-windows-is-definitely-possible.html

if they can get more people on windows, im sure the Office suite would get a boost in sails, and they wouldn't mention this unless they plan on making (more) money some how.

i mean it does seem sketchy but, if they did this it could boost user usage, and they probbly be charging prebuilts to use windows still, im sure they will find a way to make money

MICROSOFT’S SOFTWARE EMPIRE rests on Windows, the computer operating system that runs so many of the world’s desktop PCs, laptops, phones, and servers. Along with the Office franchise, it generates the majority of the company’s revenues. But one day, the company could “open source” the code that underpins the OS—giving it away for free. So says Mark Russinovich, one of the company’s top engineers.

“It’s definitely possible,” Russinovich says. “It’s a new Microsoft.”

Russinovich is sitting in front of several hundred people who spend their days running thousands of computers. He helped build Windows, and he carries one of the most respected titles at the world’s largest software company: Microsoft Technical Fellow. But here, on stage at a conference in Silicon Valley, he’s perched in front of an audience whose relationship with Microsoft is, at best, complicated.

So many Microsoft customers now rely on open source code. That means Microsoft must embrace it too.
The conference is called ChefCon. Chef is a tool that helps tech geeks setup and operate the many machines needed to drive a website, smartphone app, or some other piece of business software. It’s an open source tool, which means it’s typically used alongside other open source software. When Russinovich asks how many in the audience use nothing but Windows to run their machines, one guy raises his hand—one guy out of several hundred. Mostly, they run the open source Linux operating system.
But this is what Russinovich expects. “That’s the reality we live in today,” he says. The tech world has changed in enormous ways. So many companies—so many Microsoft customers—are now relying on open source code. And that means Microsoft must embrace it too. As Russinovich points out, the company now allows Linux on its Azure cloud computing service, a way of renting computers over the internet, and today, Linux is running on at least 20 percent of those computers.

It’s quite a change for Microsoft, so long the bete noir of the open source community. But as Russinovich explains, it’s a necessary change. And given how popular Linux has become, Microsoft could go even further, not only allowing open source software on its cloud services, but actually turning Windows into open source software. “Every conversation you can imagine about what should we do with our software—open versus not-open versus services—has happened,” he says.

Certainly, Microsoft won’t open source the thing tomorrow—if ever. Windows is still such a big part of the Microsoft revenue stream. And as Russinovich says, open sourcing such a complex piece of code isn’t easy. “If you open source something but it comes with a build system that takes rocket scientists and three months to set up, what’s the point?” he asks. But Microsoft is already giving away one version of Windows for free (though not sharing the underlying code). And it has already open sourced other important pieces of its software empire. If nothing else, his very public comments show—in stark fashion—how much the tech world has evolved. And how much Microsoft has evolved.

Open Source Means More Than Free
The future of tech lies not with for-pay software of the kind traditionally offered by Microsoft. Linux has moved into the massive computing centers that power the internet, and open source OSes such as Google Android are running so many of the world’s mobile phones, tablets, and other devices. The future, even for Microsoft, lies in selling other stuff, including cloud computing services such Microsoft Azure and all sorts of other apps and services that run atop the world’s operating systems.

If Microsoft does open source Windows, the operating system can still be a money maker in its own right.
In open sourcing Windows, Microsoft could expand the use of its OS. Open code is easier to test, easier to shape, easier to build into something else. And if the OS is more widely used, that means a bigger audience for the Microsoft applications that run on Windows.
Earlier this year, Microsoft open sourced a tool called .NET, a popular way of building online applications, and the hope is that this will expand the tool’s reach. Outside coders are even working to move the tool onto Linux machines and Apple Macs. In the end, Russinovich says, this will help Microsoft sell other stuff. “It’s an enabling technology that can get people started on other Microsoft solutions,” he says of .NET. “It lifts them up and makes them available for our other offerings, where otherwise they might not be. If they’re using Linux technologies that we can’t play with, they can’t be a customer of ours.”

What’s more, if Microsoft open sources Windows, the operating system can still be a money maker in its own right. Windows code would be freely available, but so many of the world’s businesses would still need a vendor who can package, distribute, and update the OS. That’s the way Linux works. And Android too. Open source is a complicated thing. It’s not as simple as free versus not-free. When code is open sourced, shared with the world at large, the results are myriad.

‘A History to Work Past’
As Russinovich leaves the stage, I chat with Phil Dibowitz, a Facebook engineer who was part of the same panel discussion. Facebook is a company that pushes open source in extreme ways—it even open sources its hardware—and Dibowitz is pleasantly surprised with Microsoft’s willingness to discuss the rise of open source (given the way the company actively sought to suppress open source software in the past). And he sees this as an undeniable sign that Microsoft is evolving. “This wouldn’t have happened two years ago,” he says.

Adam Jacobs, the chief technology officer of the company behind Chef, sees this in much the same way, saying it’s particularly telling that Russinovich made his case at a conference grounded in the world of Linux and its predecessor, UNIX. Russinovich himself will tell you he’s here for a very pointed reason. He wants the open source world to know that Microsoft now operates in new ways, that its not the company it was. “We’ve got a history to work past,” he says. “We’re out there beating the drums as much as we can.”

Microsoft’s path to this point in long and winding. And for years, people questioned whether the company would really change its ways. But now, people like Dibowitz and Jacobs have dropped so much of their skepticism. And at least on some level, the larger tech community is warming up to the company. No one in the crowd was a heavy Windows user. But when the idea of an open source Windows popped up, they cheered. And loud.

I call BS...unless they  make a totally new kinda OS..from scratch

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I call BS...unless they  make a totally new kinda OS..from scratch

if they can get more people on windows, im sure the Office suite would get a boost in sails, and they wouldn't mention this unless they plan on making (more) money some how.

Lol k

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

While this seems nice and all, i just don't understand the new outlook on life Microsoft has, the not bothering with making money outlook. They normally pimp everything they own.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

They could give me free money, and I still wouldn't like them until they gave me all the halo games remastered for PC.

*irrationally butthurt*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hey man, Don't forget to include some personal opinions on the topic in your OP!

It's a rule stated here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.

They could give me free money, and I still wouldn't like them until they gave me all the halo games remastered for PC.

*irrationally butthurt*

*kicks you in the arsehole so you have a reason to hurt*

This all sounds like a belated Aprils fools... Windows is the single biggest profit turner for MS... I can see them maybe releasing a free version for home use (like Home Basic) but most of their high end sales, and Enterprise needs to stay, if they plan to survive as a company

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Hey man, Don't forget to include some personal opinions on the topic in your OP!

It's a rule stated here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.

i did it just wasn't in the original post, ill edit it in, thx for tellin

This all sounds like a belated Aprils fools... Windows is the single biggest profit turner for MS... I can see them maybe releasing a free version for home use (like Home Basic) but most of their high end sales, and Enterprise needs to stay, if they plan to survive as a company

yeah thats kind of what I was imagining the whole time I read this, I cant see an open source windows unless its a very cut down version.

If this happens, will people be able to modify and improve it like people have done with linux? I think I'm more curious to see what the community can with whatever they throw at us, even if it does end up being crappy.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

yeah thats kind of what I was imagining the whole time I read this, I cant see an open source windows unless its a very cut down version.

If this happens, will people be able to modify and improve it like people have done with linux? I think I'm more curious to see what the community can with whatever they throw at us, even if it does end up being crappy.

even a cut down version being open sourced is highly unlikely, since you would still get source access to the kernel, making it very easy to then get past basically any security on the closed versions.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

This would be huge,but how would that open source be?anyone can contribute to it or anyone can make its own build of windows OS customized.

Where would open source benefit Windows itself or MS? i cant see where,maybe more bug fixes,but unless they allow people to add/remove features and modify the OS open source is pointless.Thats what windows desperately needs more features and better UI/customization,its already performant and stable.

They are talks about making Windows free.

Windows 10 free upgrade offer is just the first step, and Microsoft testing the waters. They are switching to a service company.

If they are able to achieve this (meaning people buy Apps from the store, uses more Office 365, Music Pass, Azure (businesses), and so on), Windows will be free. And when we reach this, expect Microsoft to make it open source.

I expect a partial open source at first. Maybe the kernel open source, and see how it goes. Like it was said on interview. Who will have the the version that would be installed on most systems. Are the consumers ready for this new level of complications?

All I would see is that Microsoft would be the head manager of the open source distribution. Meaning all goes to Microsoft, and they pick (or by vote) the best direction/improvements and they distribute the OS.

Well I'll be damned. I don't know if this will get me to switch from Arch Linux, but this will make me not have a problem with people using Windows anymore.

I really hope that if this happens, it can somehow be used to make WINE perfect.

Maybe this is one of their ways of giving the finger to the NSA, since they wouldn't be able to put in backdoors anymore without people noticing.

Big things could be happening with Microsoft. We'll just have to wait and see.

Wow, I wondered about this so many times lately, and I can't actually see how that would work, though. But it seems interesting, in a way.

If it would happen, I would just not want that that Windows open source OS would end like Linux in fragmentation of distros. That would just be lame.

And I'm also wondering how come they didn't start including MS Office in Windows? Or at least in top edition which costs more, and maybe just essential program from Office suite for entry editions. That'd be nice.

Was expecting one edition of Windows with included MS Office and ditch 32-bit. That's just when W10 news tarted to appear.

They said they will minimize editions more so it won't confuse consumers. And still leaving 32-bit versions, can understand it why, but still.

I'm waiting for pricing of W10 editions, it's said they'll make it cheaper.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Wow, I wondered about this so many times lately, and I can't actually see how that would work, though. But it seems interesting, in a way.

If it would happen, I would just not want that that Windows open source OS would end like Linux in fragmentation of distros. That would just be lame.

And I'm also wondering how come they didn't start including MS Office in Windows? Or at least in top edition which costs more, and maybe just essential program from Office suite for entry editions. That'd be nice.

Was expecting one edition of Windows with included MS Office and ditch 32-bit. That's just when W10 news tarted to appear.

They said they will minimize editions more so it won't confuse consumers. And still leaving 32-bit versions, can understand it why, but still.

I'm waiting for pricing of W10 editions, it's said they'll make it cheaper.

they can't ditch 32bit, because  most xp could be upgraded to vista/7 and Every single computer  on 7 is compatible to 8 and 10 

and

most xp/vista/ and a chunk of 7 was originally 32bit and all those support 8 and all thoses support 10

so until every 32bit device no longer exists...

or 2 a point where it no longer is importantent

I love the idea. A closed source OS isn't the way to go anymore. Vulnerabilities will be detected so quickly, which means patches should come quicker. 

This might turn more people towards Windows, and actually could pressure Apple into posting an open source OS as well, since they will be just about the only major one left closed source.

I think open source encourages development and improvement. It's a brave jump, but I think it would be a wise one. 

Microsoft now wants to be AMD: Let's claim we are open, though we're not.

When/where did Microsoft say they were open source?

When/where did Microsoft say they were open source?

look at links in original post

look at links in original post

I did. And it says "Microsoft: An Open Source Windows Is ‘Definitely Possible"

Doesn't say it currently is open source whatsoever.

They could do what Canonical do. Open Source the OS and provide paid tech support.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Microsoft just keeps on surprising me

They are incredible businessmen and innovators

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"