So i bought a laptop from my school.....

brandonb21

So today i bought a laptop from my school (i payed them cash no loans on it) and today i noticed they installed a key-logger and a program called "sterok remote desktop access" i am wondering is my school legally aloud to do this? i feel its sort of like some voyeurism is going on. How much trouble would i get into if i format the hard dive?  

if you bought it, and you own it, and the school no longer does, then go ahead and format the drive

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

So today i bought a laptop from my school (i payed them cash no loans on it) and today i noticed they installed a key-logger and a program called "sterok remote desktop access" i am wondering is my school legally aloud to do this? i feel its sort of like some voyeurism is going on. How much trouble would i get into if i format the hard dive?  

If you format you need a new .iso OS. You can get one easily on the web/torrents.

You bought it as in you own it, or the school owns it and you are leasing it?

Most businesses/schools do it. Its so they can fix issues way easier/remote fix things. If you own it you can take it off.

If your school is loaning it to you, have to leave it on

If you legally own it you can formate it and put a fresh copy of windows on it and they can do nothing about it. 

HTID

If you are the legit owner. Install a clean OS asap. If the school is allowed to sell you that, well that's a bit of a gray area. I'm wondering why it's on there in the first place. I don't think school is something that wants to hack you... Anyway, get rid of it asap.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The keylogger might have been there for administration purposes over kids, maybe they didn't reinstall the OS when they sold it. Also, you bought the laptop, you can do as you like with it. Format or erase the logger, do as you damn well please. :)

No, im pretty sure i own it, i was giving 1800$ from the government for going to collage as a grant, so with this money i told them to order me in a laptop that meets the specs of my courses. i was more then capable of doing this but they insisted that they should order it. so i let them and i paid them cash. thus being said i should be the owner of this laptop correct?  

No, im pretty sure i own it, i was giving 1800$ from the government for going to collage as a grant, so with this money i told them to order me in a laptop that meets the specs of my courses. i was more then capable of doing this but they insisted that they should order it. so i let them and i paid them cash. thus being said i should be the owner of this laptop correct?  

You are, unless you signed a contract that says you are not the owner. So reinstall the OS or erase the logger. Done! :)

You are, unless you signed a contract that says you are not the owner. So reinstall the OS or erase the logger. Done! :)

I Signed no contract. what's so ever

They probably insisted you bought it bcuz they receive a bit of profit that way, and they think they can keep an eye on you thanks to that sneaky stuff they installed, but in your case, they are wrong :D

edit: if you want to play safe, make an image of the HDD and store it somewhere, in case the original OS needs to be on the notebook, you have the image.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

$1800? I feel like with that kind of money, they just want to take advantage of you and are ripping you off. 

even when you borrow it, they are not allowed to without notifying you, they are even less allowed when its your own laptop. this is actually grounds for a lawsuit. (at least in belgium it is) it is a complete break on privacy, and like security cameras, it has to happen with notifying the end user, which then has to agree (by buying the product, or in case of the cameras, enter the property) or disagree (not buy the product, or not enter the property)

EDIT: go to your school management, tell them ^ this is a thing...

I Signed no contract. what's so ever

Then you are free to do as you please, so reinstall the OS. :D

If you own it, you can do whatever you want with it.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

If you own it, you can do whatever you want with it.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

$1800? I feel like with that kind of money, they just want to take advantage of you and are ripping you off. 

i also got a lazer jet printer and a pen for doing 3d renders and drawings

Sue them, in most countries this would be a complete invasion of privacy etc.

I would be suspicious. Why would they install a keylogger?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

that is invasion of privacy right there! Remove it asap, and... uh yell at em. Scare the shit out of them. tell them if they pull that kind of shit again, you are taking legal action.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I would highly suggest using Ubuntu LTS as a fresh operating system.

Anyone else's thoughts? 

Also perhaps get pictures of the pre-installed software and ask the school about why it was installed.

I would highly suggest using Ubuntu LTS as a fresh operating system.

Anyone else's thoughts? 

Also perhaps get pictures of the pre-installed software and ask the school about why it was installed.

I am cloning the hardrive then saving it as a image to cover my ass if it ever pops up. taking pictures of it to also for backup to cover my ass