New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

for every new person who signed up for vessel they got 7 dollars.... #linushasanewlambo

if you have 7 entries you have a 3 percent chance of winning.... there is almost no way you could win... i would start saving buddy

So you're saying that there's a chance?

Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue Hue

So you're saying that there's a chance?

im saying there is a very little chance and you shouldn't hedge your bets on it

Why do the videos on Vessel look washed out verse those on YouTube?

hell yeah, The whole reason that vessel works is because they are releasing content 72 hours early... a whole 72 hours wow. And the reason hulu worked (vessel is run by hulu) was because they were releasing them 12 days early. Do you see the gap?

I'm a little worried about this. The video platform is fine, but it's a little buggy (and doesn't support android), and personally I don't mind paying for early access (as long as it's not too much). The problem is though that you're going to have to remind people about vessel in order to get anyone to use it. I also don't like having to check 2 video platforms a day, but I'll get used to it.

Rejected Scrub

I'm a little worried about this. The video platform is fine, but it's a little buggy (and doesn't support android), and personally I don't mind paying for early access (as long as it's not too much). The problem is though that you're going to have to remind people about vessel in order to get anyone to use it. I also don't like having to check 2 video platforms a day, but I'll get used to it.

well i mean why woud you support it if you dont like it? I mean they are appealing to us not the other way around

if you have 7 entries you have a 3 percent chance of winning.... there is almost no way you could win... i would start saving buddy

I just hope for a miracle :D. By the way I have only 1 entry so I have0.43 percent chance of winning which is more than enough for a miracle :D

Vessel is essentially paid prioritisation. ;)

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it

- Frederic Bastiat 1850

I'm sorry but i can't STAND vessel... half the time videos dont load and I'm left with just the spinning loading animation, when they eventually do load they're very poor quality videos even with the HD set to on and or Auto.. and then for no apparent reason more often than not part way through a video it will just stop and no longer play without refreshing the page and then seeking the spot where it left off... if this is whats to expect from a paid for service i really think they should be paying me to use it!!!!

yep preety much this. they should pay me to use. it just sucks

I hope you will obtain support on Vessel, and I give you my gratitude for the free year subscription. Best wishes to your pages on both YouTube and Vessel. :)

Looks like I missed out on another contest darn.  Thought it was open for 72 hours.

edit * looks like I could have signed up after work yesterday.  Got home at 11:30pm.  Missed it by half an hour.

It's more like a 0.215% chance of winning.

8 drawings, 7 lots out of 26063 entries. Each drawing you have a 7/26063 = 0.027% chance of winning, and likewise a 99.973% chance of not winning. The chance of not winning 8 times in a row is thus 0.9973^8 = 99.785%. The chance of winning anything is 100% - 99.785% = 0.215%.

(the chance may be a little higher depending on how many entries turn out to be invalid)

I experience vessel to be annoyingly laggy (in germany) even on this "Auto" quality mode. Since it won't let me buffer, this brings me back to YouTube

Why do the videos on Vessel look washed out verse those on YouTube?

Vessel vid are more like YIFY release :P

When will the winners be selected and how will they be selected?

i5-4690k @ 4.5ghz ---- Dual Gigabyte Gtx 780 OC Rev2.0's SLI ---- Noctua NH-D14 ---- Triple 1080p Surround

Ok I saw now with Vessel we have more choices for video playback.  Still it doesn't show what it is running at when we make certain selections and when I picked the highest I had some moments where the video playback got choppy and that never happened on YouTube.  Just letting you know my most recent experience.  Best of luck with Vessel LMG.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I think vessels great but why no WAN show yet

After 4 days and 45 pages I managed to glance through this thread. Here's my thoughts on the matter.

Lets start with the move itself. In all it doesn't matter for me. I have moved from watching all content to only interesting content. There's really not that much that I would want to watch when they come available. In that sense I most likely won't renew my membership for Vessel when the year subscription runs out. Only if there's some other content besides LTT that is more important to see right away.

I'm not going to comment on whole rage on you backstabbing audience or going for money. Not interested about that. But I will say that I'm bit disappointed to the time and way you did this. Whole time @LinusTech has said that he isn't sell out. Yet, he does giveaway which requires mandatory registration, watching and commenting to be eligible to win something. Even if this is free move, I don't like it. Its like TTLs giveaways where you have to be active member of forums (1 week and 10 posts IIRC) to get something. I have been with you whole time when you give change for people outside of forums. This move wasn't good at all. Also the timing of this. I think you really should have waited until beginning of summer or something like that before making announcement to all your viewers. If this was because of Vessel, I understand. But to invite very vocal crowd to website which is clearly still in beta-stage wasn't good move. Having some few hundred test subjects would have been better, at least until they've fixed to biggest issues in quality, playback and mobile support.

So about Vessel then. Beside the obvious issues with the things I already mentioned, they have really shitty UI. I mean one of worst modern UIs I've seen lately. If they are indeed backed by Amazon, I get it. You can't expect good UI from company that has had same for last 10 years. But to problems I've found (last check today). To be clear, I use browser addons to YT. Because I'm "paying" for Vessel I expect at least that they would have same stuff that those addons provide. Or even the things Vimeo has.

• Player/Site doesn't save player preferences. This is huge for me. Having to pump volume and set player to "High" every login is not 2010s.
  • No stop-autoplay and buffer ahead, no indicator for buffer amount. The auto-play stopper is addon function which I use all the time. I open several videos to tabs and having to pause them manually isn't cool at all. The buffer indicator is standart to several video players, including YT, Twitch and Vimeo. So why doesn't paid platform have it?
  • Zoom problems. As @Hazy125 pointed in more website design perspective, having site that doesn't react well to custom zoom is just plain stupid. To be clear, currently I have got my players about same size in YT and Vessel. Thats 110% zoom for YT and 90% zoom for Vessel. If I would use 110% for both (better because of text size), Vessel player would be too small and the top bar would be too big for my screen.
  • Some "What were you thinking?" moments. Related videos as default "tab" for video? I want to check video details more often than related. This is why YTs overlay and sidebar methods are much better. Text over video... for people with low vision this is always bad thing. Also why would you have "Play" sign for every video on video service? The low vision thing is important when checking channels. I dislike transparent bg's on many occasions but most with white/black text that doesn't have outline or shadow to pop it out. White against light image (or with older LTT video, black cables against black surface) is just stupid.
  • The header. I meantioned this in zoom section and how it changes size. With video player I have problem minimized. But with channel page it comes annoying. Having text in two rows mean two times the screen hog. So when it finally gets black bg, I'm dealing with just header taking almost 1/5 of my available screen (1440x900).

Those are my biggest problems atm. Things like buffering failures when returning to play and sometimes lack of quality are minor. No choppy play here either. And the mobile support. Well, its USA company. Who in USA uses Android anyway? Why would they need to make app for that.

Plus. And only one.... comes from having HTML5 player. Hopefully this means no trouble with my Linux laptop.

E: Let's add. Where's todays Vessel video?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Quality/streaming/buffering issues aside - I think Vessel is really confused about what they want to be.

They're targeting young and tech savvy people like us (my assumption based mostly upon who is in their "paid producers" lineup and where their marketing is showing up). So basically advanced/power users of Youtube.

But then they give us a really dumbed down interface with no control. It's like they're offering power android/linux users freebies to try out iOS.

We're not the type of people who are going to give up the ability to tweak our experience to our liking.

If I commented on Youtube my Vessel Name and videos I watched and like on Vessel I'm I entered in the giveaway.

It's more like a 0.215% chance of winning.

8 drawings, 7 lots out of 26063 entries. Each drawing you have a 7/26063 = 0.027% chance of winning, and likewise a 99.973% chance of not winning. The chance of not winning 8 times in a row is thus 0.9973^8 = 99.785%. The chance of winning anything is 100% - 99.785% = 0.215%.

(the chance may be a little higher depending on how many entries turn out to be invalid)

ok you kind of mentioned this but about one in twelve is invalid, and i am looking at rads and am on spring break so no math for me :)