*sigh* WTF are you thinking Apple?

Dabombinable

I finally took the plunge today to see how bad the Macbook air will be after the 1 port/1 jack BS with the new 'Macbook'. Lo and behold on Apple's website I discovered this (the images are the links):

The new Macbook Air

post-155575-0-03591300-1426835840_thumb.

The new Macbook

post-155575-0-89121400-1426836032_thumb.

Comparing the I/O and the prices, who the hell in their right mind would buy the more expensive and limited Macbook, when they can get the Air which is a shitload better.

Message to Apple:

What the f*** are you guys thinking? Because this move can only be described as retarded when you have your cheaper product beating the crap out of your more expensive model.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This thread has happened many times already.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Why is the Air thicker than the regular Macbook? It's called the Air for a reason

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

This thread has happened many times already.

It has? Because I didn't see any direct comparisons at all.

PMSL

well, you might be even able to get a macbook pro for the price of the macbook, thought they killed that product line with a reason, instead the brought it back as a piece of junk, which makes barely sense, no matter what perspective.

Why is the Air thicker than the regular Macbook? It's called the Air for a reason

because new apple products became BS stuff after jobs left/died, which also happend in history.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

It's a lot like the problem with Ubisoft. Company does something stupid, people bitch about it, people buy it anyway, company continues doing stupid shit because stupid people keep giving them money. I just can't entirely blame a company for doing stupid shit anymore, because the people forking out money for this crap are enabling it.

I had a guy actually tell me that the mac NEEDED to only have one port because it was so thin. Isn't the yoga thinner, and has like, several ports?

I brought up that fact, and mentioned that to get everything plugged in that you would need to you'd have to carry around a small bag full of adapters, which was quite convenient.

He followed that up with saying, and i quote. "Sometimes you just have to sacrifice convenience for quality."

Please lord GabeN, help me shed light on that fanboy...

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I had a guy actually tell me that the mac NEEDED to only have one port because it was so thin. Isn't the yoga thinner, and has like, several ports?

I brought up that fact, and mentioned that to get everything plugged in that you would need to you'd have to carry around a small bag full of adapters, which was quite convenient.

He followed that up with saying, and i quote. "Sometimes you just have to sacrifice convenience for quality."

$10 says that's what the idiot behind the Macbook's design said.

PMSL

$10 says that's what the idiot behind the Macbook's design said.

Lol, hope not. Doesn't really matter anyway, people are still going to buy it because its a mac and its kinda thin.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Wasn't there already a rant thread? 

It's hopelessly impractical

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

You can't. Fanboys are never willing to accept any argument against their stance, no matter what you tell them or how much proof you give them, it's why apple has gotten as big as it has.

Then again, I guess I'm an anti-apple fanboy, because I'm never going to accept any argument for anything they do.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well, since the switch to Intel CPU's, the only real selling point for Macs have been design. Apple are working hard to appeal to a very specific niche of the market, and those people don't want visible ports on their laptops. If they lost that market, they would be in very big trouble.

Personally I'd never buy a Mac due to higher costs than a comparable non-Apple laptop, but of course, any Mac user will argue that "Yeah, but you pay the extra money for better quality". Some people will still argue that Macs are "faster" than other PCs as well, despite the fact that they now use exactly the same hardware. Understand it those who can.

All I know is that the highest amount of performance for your money will always be more important to me than what something looks like.

To be honest, the second that Jobs died, the company had lost more than a CEO. The company lost the one person who kept the company together, the one whose love for proper design made Apple the company it is today. Thus, without the creative design from Jobs, the company's product uniqueness/usability is falling apart. I 100% guarantee if Jobs were still alive, he would have scrapped the USB Type C idea the second anyone drew a light sketch of it.

and here is me, really liking the macbook

You realise the Air and Retina Pros are still available and have been updated with new stuff...... this is not here to replace airs and pros... its a different product category 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The new Macbook is an engineering marvel, and people will buy it because of it's insane reliability. It has absolutely no moving parts. It is not meant for gaming; it is to be used for office work and on the go documents. As well, people don't use flashdrives for storage anymore, people use the cloud and email to transfer documents. And if you did need to use a USB stick, it's not like you can't charge, just unplug your charger for 10 seconds, transfer files, and plug it back in, people are so stupid...

People hate on Apple because they are pushing towards a new USB standard?!?!? That doesn't even make sense.

Oh and guess what, Surface Pro 3 only has one USB port, but no one hated on them? Stop hating on Apple just because they are Apple. The Macbook is an insane piece of technology, it's motherboard is smaller than your phone and it has no fan on the heatsink for the CPU. If that  isn't impressive I don't know what is.

Educate yourself please @ , your comments make no sense on the new Macbook.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

~snip~

To someone like me, then the new MacBook is not a device used as a primary device. I love them for forcing the USB C connector down our throats (I sincerely do). But what I, and many others don't like about this device is how limited you become with just a single USB connector, one that you need half a dozen adapters for if you would want to use the MacBook as a primary device.

Something like the Surface Pro 3 gets away with having few ports because they have a 'normal' USB A connector. Along with SD card slot and a mini DP out.

If I myself were looking at one of Apple's laptops as my primary device, then I would hands down go with the MacBook Pro. 13 inch model with the Retina display.

The new Macbook is an engineering marvel, and people will buy it because of it's insane reliability. It has absolutely no moving parts. It is not meant for gaming; it is to be used for office work and on the go documents. As well, people don't use flashdrives for storage anymore, people use the cloud and email to transfer documents. And if you did need to use a USB stick, it's not like you can't charge, just unplug your charger for 10 seconds, transfer files, and plug it back in, people are so stupid...

People hate on Apple because they are pushing towards a new USB standard?!?!? That doesn't even make sense.

Oh and guess what, Surface Pro 3 only has one USB port, but no one hated on them? Stop hating on Apple just because they are Apple. The Macbook is an insane piece of technology, it's motherboard is smaller than your phone and it has no fan on the heatsink for the CPU. If that  isn't impressive I don't know what is.

It has 1 USB port because its a 10 inch tablet, not a laptop which is a lot larger and has been designed by idiots who've lost sight of reality. Just look at the ports of the Macbook that's supposed to be thin, the Air, then look at the Macbook that's supposed to be used as a laptop by everyday people. There is no excuse, no matter how deluded you are, for Apple's design choice.

PMSL

How is it  "an engineering marvel" ? Only thing Apple did was making a thin chasis. The reason why it is possible is because of Intel's Core-M CPU's. Not because Apple did something magic.

And also, the Surface Pro 3 has separat charging port, it has microSD card slot, Mini DP and then the USB port. If you want all of that on that Macbook you'd need an adapter which ad to the weight and size of needed bag. 

EDIT: Colors are fucked up, automatic won't work

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

It has 1 USB port because its a 10 inch tablet, not a laptop which is a lot larger and has been designed by idiots who've lost sight of reality. Just look at the ports of the Macbook that's supposed to be thin, the Air, then look at the Macbook that's supposed to be used as a laptop by everyday people. There is no excuse, no matter how deluded you are, for Apple's design choice.

Actually, it is a 12'' tablet; the same size as the new Macbook screen. And with the keyboard it is a fully functional laptop. In fact, there are more Surface Pro 3's than Macbooks in classrooms now.

To someone like me, then the new MacBook is not a device used as a primary device. I love them for forcing the USB C connector down our throats (I sincerely do). But what I, and many others don't like about this device is how limited you become with just a single USB connector, one that you need half a dozen adapters for if you would want to use the MacBook as a primary device.

Something like the Surface Pro 3 gets away with having few ports because they have a 'normal' USB A connector. Along with SD card slot and a mini DP out.

If I myself were looking at one of Apple's laptops as my primary device, then I would hands down go with the MacBook Pro. 13 inch model with the Retina display.

USB C will soon be normal. Within a few months you will start to see USB C flashdrives and everything you own that is USB 2 will be old.

LinusGGtips

How is it  "an engineering marvel" ? Only thing Apple did was making a thin chasis. The reason why it is possible is because of Intel's Core-M CPU's. Not because Apple did something magic.

And also, the Surface Pro 3 has separat charging port, it has microSD card slot, Mini DP and then the USB port. If you want all of that on that Macbook you'd need an adapter which ad to the weight and size of needed bag. 

EDIT: Colors are fucked up, automatic won't work

Clearly you didn't read my post. Maybe you will read below so I can RESTATE some things.

1. It is an engineering marvel because it's CPU runs on 5 WATTS of POWER, requires NO fan, has NO moving parts, it's motherboard is smaller than a smartphone (for the most part).

2. Oooh, it has a separate charging port. I never knew having to need my USB and Charger at the same time was detrimental. Maybe you forgot this thing has a 9 hour battery, so when you need to transfer a file quickly you can unplug your charger, transfer your file in less than 3 minutes because of the FAST USB C port, and then plug your charger back in.

3. Let me do this for you quick... Already has USB port, microsd adapter weight, 100g, most external devices require an adapter to go to Mini DP (so Surface Pro 3 needs one too, along with other macbooks and laptops). Not even projectors have Mini DP usually.

LinusGGtips

Clearly you didn't read my post. Maybe you will read below so I can RESTATE some things.

1. It is an engineering marvel because it's CPU runs on 5 WATTS of POWER, requires NO fan, has NO moving parts, it's motherboard is smaller than a smartphone (for the most part).

2. Oooh, it has a separate charging port. I never knew having to need my USB and Charger at the same time was detrimental. Maybe you forgot this thing has a 9 hour battery, so when you need to transfer a file quickly you can unplug your charger, transfer your file in less than 3 minutes because of the FAST USB C port, and then plug your charger back in.

3. Let me do this for you quick... Already has USB port, microsd adapter weight, 100g, most external devices require an adapter to go to Mini DP (so Surface Pro 3 needs one too, along with other macbooks and laptops). Not even projectors have Mini DP usually.

1. Its not Apple's engineering marvel, its Intel's. #yougotrekt

2. The Macbook Air has 9 hours battery life with the 11inch model, and 12 hours with the 13 inch model, and they both use a more powerful CPU. And all that is done with a dedicated power jack, 2xUSB 3.0 ports (which is still the main standard) a mini display port correction-thunderbolt which carries a display port signal, audio jack and an SD card reader. #yougotrekt

3. More screens and projectors are using mini display port as its a better alternative to HDMI, and because more people are starting to use display port. #yougotrekt.

PMSL

You never actually said it was because of the CPU, you just said it was an engineering marvel, I pointed out that Apple didn't do anything special. And really Intel didn't either. It was a natural step forward I would say.

Fanless and no moving parts isn't anything new. Not normal yet, but not new and nothing marvelous about it.

It is not really a big problem that it doesn't have a separate charging port, but I would easily get annoyed if I time to time needed to use a USB device when I was charging my laptop. 

And a bigger point, I think they could've fitted a second port in there if they wanted to. And that would be way much better. 

The adapter might be light, but it is still sad that you have to buy an adapter for basic stuff on a PC, and that also counts towards the miniDP in the Surface Pro 3 instead of HDMI (Though we would all want DP to be the standard and not HDMI, that is just not the case yet)

All in all my point is, the Macbook is not impressive at all. And for it to be a real office/work machine many people would need some extra equipment so a Macbook Air would be a much better (and cheaper, and faster and longer battery life? (don't know this part for certain, but sure I read that somewhere to)) choice. I don't see exactly what marked the Macbook fits into except for people that just really really needs a light PC for elementary stuff and is willing to pay a ludicrous amount for it

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64