Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

How would that kill you?

Sorry forgot to mention that the resistor wasn't rated for that high of voltage, so it got fried, then opened up 36 amps of current. You only need 0.2 amp to kill you. :P

Spoiler

Sorry forgot to mention that the resistor wasn't rated for that high of voltage, so it got fried, then opened up 36 amps of current. You only need 0.2 amp to kill you. :P

That's not how electricity works. The current flowing in the circuit won't just flow into your body, your body follows the laws of electricity as well, and has a very high resistance.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

That's not how electricity works. The current flowing in the circuit won't just flow into your body, your body follows the laws of electricity as well, and has a very high resistance.

Well yes, it doesn't jump that easily at all. But I was implying if I would have touched it, and if it conducted, sending that much current straight through my right side into the ground since my left arm was behind my back, would probably have made toast.

Spoiler

Well yes, it doesn't jump that easily at all. But I was implying if I would have touched it, and if it conducted, sending that much current straight through my right side into the ground since my left arm was behind my back, would probably have made toast.

No. It wouldn't. Your body is a 100 kilo ohm resistor. What is the current through a 100,000 ohm resistor with a 36 volt supply? 36/100,000=0.36 milli-amps, which is below the threshold for "feel-able" shocks.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

How though?  The resistance of the human body is very high; even ideal conditions ( wetted [high salt liquid] metal rods in hand, with one connected to the source one grounded ) would get nothing like .2A with a force of only 36.1 volts .

Say the resistance of the human body with wet skin is in the 1000Ω region V=IR I=V/R or 36.1/1000 = .0361A(mps) hardly lethal .

With dry skin it is in the 100,000Ω range so current would be .000361A .

There's a reason they use 2000 V(olts) in Electric chair executions.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

How though?  The resistance of the human body is very high; even ideal conditions ( wetted [high salt liquid] metal rods in hand, with one connected to the source one grounded ) would get nothing like .2A with a force of only 36.1 volts .

Say the resistance of the human body with wet skin is in the 1000Ω region V=IR I=V/R or 36.1/1000 = .0361A(mps) hardly lethal .

With dry skin it is in the 100,000Ω range so current would be .000361A .

There's a reason they use 2000 V(olts) in Electric chair executions.

Thank you for better phrasing what I was trying to say. People who don't get physics acting like they're electrical engineers annoys me.

Accidentally taking out an HDD from an £800 laptop without even realizing it. The battery was somehow giving out current whilst it was off for some reason. I have learned from my mistakes, but with difficulty...

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Buying strix 980s

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

Buying a prebuilt for £250...

Pentium G2030

ASRock H61-VG3

GoodRAM 4GB 1066MHz DDR3

1TB DT01ACA100 Toshiba 7200RPM

GT610

Custom case with custom PSU for the build

No intake/exhaust fans, no 2.5" slots, no USB 3.0 etc. etc.

I thought it was really good because it was 3GHz -.-

This was 3 years ago

Lucky that I built my current epic PC to use cus I couldn't have lasted much longer on that with 25FPS on league of legends at medium settings.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Yeah but you touch it and the current that flows through /you/ is going to be much smaller. The lowest resistance your body is likely to have (given wet skin, or a cut) is 1000 ohms, giving a current of 0.036, which wouldn't kill you. In most scenarios, your resistance would be more like 100,000 ohms, giving a negligible current.

Of course but that's why I said absolute best circumstances which would probably directly touching the heart. Its possible but not feasible. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

buying beats mixr insted of audio technica or Sennheiser or dt 990 pro

not researching enough and building amd rig

bricking my galaxy sii

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

Accidentally taking out an HDD from an £800 laptop without even realizing it. The battery was somehow giving out current whilst it was off for some reason. I have learned from my mistakes, but with difficulty...

what? So your laptop battery screws in? Most or every laptop you need to unscrew something to take the hdd out

When I started experimenting on modifying and upgrading PCs when I was around 9ish? I had my first personal PC (a Pentium MMX Pionex tower) apart and wondered what would happen if I flipped the red volt switch on the power supply from 115V to 230V (because bigger must mean better right?). Plugged it in and POW!!! Sparks, flames and smoke came rolling out the back of the power supply. Oops

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Had an amd processor but wanted to upgrade to intel, budget was tight so I went for a fx-8350 because I already had a AMD mobo after the cpu got delivered to my door and I sat around for few weeks I remebered to look what cpu's the motherboard support ofc the 8350 wasn't one of them so I had to buy a new mobo, well shoot.

2 π noscope

/powered by mountain dew and doritos/

what? So your laptop battery screws in? Most or every laptop you need to unscrew something to take the hdd out

Oh no, not like that. I was in the process of diagnosing stuff with the HDD. However, the battery was giving out current without me realising so when I was taking out the battery, it screwed up.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Buying AMD cpu.

In 2015.

For rendering and gaming.

For £175.

while building my first ever water loop, I lost the O ring in my D5 pump. Worse however, is that I didn't notice until I fired up the loop, filled with water. EVERYWHERE. THE WATER. WENT. EVERYWHERE. Nothing will make a techie move faster than watching water fly into your GTX780.

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

while building my first ever water loop, I lost the O ring in my D5 pump. Worse however, is that I didn't notice until I fired up the loop, filled with water. EVERYWHERE. THE WATER. WENT. EVERYWHERE. Nothing will make a techie move faster than watching water fly into your GTX780.

I would cri. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I would cri. 

It was the worst... I didn't even know what was wrong, so it happened twice in a row (after WRENCHING the pump on and it still leaking)

WD MYNET 900c nas/router. strage never worked on it, and router worked about  as as a router made of swiss cheese.  Also I've RAZER kraken pro, about as good headphones as a headset made of muenster cheese.

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

not researching enough and building amd rig

That Phenom II x4 is still a very capable CPU and has aged well, mind if I ask what your Intel counterpart would have been at the time you built your system?

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

It was the worst... I didn't even know what was wrong, so it happened twice in a row (after WRENCHING the pump on and it still leaking)

Took the pump of my Revo D5 to see what it's like and they are difficult to reattach. thankfully this was before it was installed and hasn't spewed...yet

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Trying to delid a cpu.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Trying to delid a cpu.

is that how you dropped your 3770k? I considered delidding my 4790k but decided 65 degrees tops was good enough