Do you torrent? (A research study)

I'm researching the topic of pirating, torrenting, and how they affect the Entertainment Industry. Pirating has become much much easier in recent years, and congress has done many things to try and stop it. SOPA is one. They explain how pirating music and movies costs the U.S. economy over $200 Billion a year, and over 750,000 jobs. Clearly it's getting out of hand and needs to be stopped. It's safe to assume that during the time that thepiratebay was offline, pirating decreased. Temporarily. These numbers, especially the jobs, are frightening. How accurate are they though?

Mark Twain said "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

These numbers aren't tangible. They are accurately estimated, yes, by the potential revenue. That's an entire topic that can be talked about for 10 pages. The number of jobs, let's see, maybe those are potential jobs too. What if it includes the number of jobs lost obliquely, or even for completely unrelated reason?

These kinds of things aren't talked about enough. For instance, the potential revenue lost from pirating will most likely be spent elsewhere, and would never have been spent on what was pirated in the first place.

If I go to the store, see a movie that I want, then go home and pirate it, that's lost potential.

If I wake up, look at the Top 100 movie torrents, and just start downloading whatever sounds cool, there was no potential because I wouldn't pay to see those movies anyway. Tell me what you guys think and take a vote, these stats will be used in my presentation. Anonymously of course.

All of this seems to only apply to big budget movies, hot 100 songs, etc. What about smaller movies? Well, there's another debate. For instance, if you have a independent film, and it's pay-to-rent online, how many people are going to watch it? Case studies have shown that allowing the free distribution of things like movies and songs greatly increases the popularity and is in a sense, a marketing tactic.

...yes, pirating affects the entertainment industry, in my opinion positively...

Sig under construction.

tumblr_lqjmwm4RMC1qmjv8eo1_500.jpg

Also, "torrent software"? You can do legit things with uTorrent and similar programs. A lot of Linux distros recommend you use the torrent file because it's faster.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

torrent software =/= pirating. :)

Pirating is illegal. Torrent software itself is not. I'm avoiding using possibly incriminating questions.

As Lord GabeN said, if piracy is a problem, its due to service issues.

If it weren't for spotify and Youtube, I'd (hypothetically! :ph34r:)pirate music.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

tumblr_lqjmwm4RMC1qmjv8eo1_500.jpg

Also, "torrent software"? You can do legit things with uTorrent and similar programs. A lot of Linux distros recommend you use the torrent file because it's faster.

You don't wanna know where that text comes from...

I torrent, but I'm not sure how downloading and seeding Linux distros affects the entertainment industry(Spoiler: It doesn't). Torrenting isn't illegal, but the things some people share is. Does it hurt the industry? I see the millions-billions of dollars these companies sit on/make, so do I feel bad for them? Not really.

You don't wanna know where that text comes from...

I think everyone already knows that :D .

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I did, but no more. i got the mollahs to get what i want  ;)

I torrent, but I'm not sure how downloading and seeding Linux distros affects the entertainment industry(Spoiler: It doesn't). Torrenting isn't illegal, but the things some people share is. Does it hurt the industry? I see the millions-billions of dollars these companies sit on/make, so do I feel bad for them? Not really.

Moral Knights incoming. Shield yourself.

Do you use a torrent software?

I guess I use torrent software. I use Popcorn time mainly, but I don't really torrent files like cracks for stuff, just search up some cracks for programs every now and then.

Do you think pirating affects the entertainment industry?

No and Yes. The entertainment industry afaik makes lots of money. I don't mind. But where torrenting comes in, is when the service(maybe netflix) does not live up to what I pay for as the consumer. Then I will start using something free, it might not be as good, but I will be happy with it because it is free. This can show some of the bigger companies that they actually have to live up to their shitty prices.

The way it affects the entertainment industry? As I said, not negative. They already probably make tons of money, and if the "entertainment" was good enough, everyone would pay for it. Some things are simply not worth what they are being sold for. Crappy comparison - CSGO and BF4. I paid 30£ for BF4. I hate it, has never really been good in any way, just been that awkward battlefield. CSGO? Dead cheap, maybe I got it for 5£. I have got hundreds of hours on it, and if the price was 30£ like BF4? I would have gotten it and been happy about it. 

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I think it affects revenue but not job loss.

It most definitely affects revenue. Just not as much as people claim. Job loss is also a very very tricky subject in the entertainment industry. You don't really get fired and go to the unemployment line. If you get any work as say, a camera operator, or a sound mixer, then that's your fault. Small jobs are the ones that are lost, but quite literally anyone can do things like, gaffer, grip, 2nd camera assistant, etc.

It's a work for hire industry. So statistics of job loss can be manipulated, exaggerated, or just plain imaginary.

I torrent movies, tv shows, music and games. 

I can do in excess of 500GB per month of torrents. 

Until the SWAT blast through the door and beat me senseless, we're not stopping. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Until the SWAT blast through the door and beat me senseless, we're not stopping. 

They will find you, and they will kill you.

They will find you, and they will kill you.

Liam Neeson is ba...what

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Do you use a torrent software?

I guess I use torrent software. I use Popcorn time mainly, but I don't really torrent files like cracks for stuff, just search up some cracks for programs every now and then.

Do you think pirating affects the entertainment industry?

No and Yes. The entertainment industry afaik makes lots of money. I don't mind. But where torrenting comes in, is when the service(maybe netflix) does not live up to what I pay for as the consumer. Then I will start using something free, it might not be as good, but I will be happy with it because it is free. This can show some of the bigger companies that they actually have to live up to their shitty prices.

The way it affects the entertainment industry? As I said, not negative. They already probably make tons of money, and if the "entertainment" was good enough, everyone would pay for it. Some things are simply not worth what they are being sold for. Crappy comparison - CSGO and BF4. I paid 30£ for BF4. I hate it, has never really been good in any way, just been that awkward battlefield. CSGO? Dead cheap, maybe I got it for 5£. I have got hundreds of hours on it, and if the price was 30£ like BF4? I would have gotten it and been happy about it. 

I agree. It really does depend on services. It seem like everyone has Netflix or Hulu, and they're very competitive. It seem like Netflix is more documentary driven though, to be honest. It's insane how many documentaries they have. This is good though, it's a great way to allow your low-budget movie to be noticed, without spending too much on marketing and distribution. 

Per month? I sure wonder how much storage you have! I also hope you're a generous seeder.

If you think about it, potato is also really something to consider, don't you agree? It's not about what it is, it's about the meaning of it, and what it represents. It really can make a difference in the world.

I agree. It really does depend on services. It seem like everyone has Netflix or Hulu, and they're very competitive. It seem like Netflix is more documentary driven though, to be honest. It's insane how many documentaries they have. This is good though, it's a great way to allow your low-budget movie to be noticed, without spending too much on marketing and distribution. 

For me, Netflix dies after about a month. Not enough good movies on there. Thats a sign of bad service. I basically have only rented Netflix when some new badass series got out. House of Cards/Orange is the new black

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Per month? I sure wonder how much storage you have! I also hope you're a generous seeder.

If you think about it, potato is also really something to consider, don't you agree? It's not about what it is, it's about the meaning of it, and what it represents. It really can make a difference in the world.

Movies and TV shows i watch and delete afterward. There's no need to keep them.

Just wondering, how many of you use a VPN? I don't

Edit: That should maybe be added in the poll? :P I think it is a good question.

Many years ago, when I was a lot younger I used bitorrent to download stuff. If anything, it kept me in the software eco system until I had money to buy software, instead of finding another hobby. As far as the Entertainment industry is concerned, Torrents are no where near as accessible for movies, tv shows etc. as streaming sites. Does it hurt the entertainment industry? Which one? new media or old media? Old media had its time in the previous century, but would rather spend billions to lobby politicians on copyright laws, than conform to the heavily saturated market of new media, a market that scares the crap out of old media. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR