Do you torrent? (A research study)

Just wondering, how many of you use a VPN? I don't

Edit: That should maybe be added in the poll? :P I think it is a good question.

I never understood the true nature of a VPN. What is really used for, and why?

Many years ago, when I was a lot younger I used bitorrent to download stuff. If anything, it kept me in the software eco system until I had money to buy software, instead of finding another hobby. As far as the Entertainment industry is concerned, Torrents are no where near as accessible for movies, tv shows etc. as streaming sites. Does it hurt the entertainment industry? Which one? new media or old media? Old media had its time in the previous century, but would rather spend billions to lobby politicians on copyright laws, than conform to the heavily saturated market of new media, a market that scares the crap out of old media. 

Software is another huge thing, but not nearly as detrimental to the industry. I believe that as long as someone uses a cracked photoshop to just face swap their friends, and other personal stuff, there's no problem with it. It's when people pirate it, and use it to make money. Then it becomes unethical. This is just my opinion.

I think torrents are very accessible, it's so easy and quick to download bittorrent, then go to pirate bay and click a link. New media of course. Old media? Such as radio? They're doing just fine. People thought TV would replace radio. People thought DVD players and HDTVs would replace the movie theatres. People thought OnDemand, Netflix, etc. would, you get the point. Newer forms of media don't replace older forms. The older forms just stick to what they do best and take advantage of it.

If you mean old movies or TV shows, then that's irrelevant for the most part.

Torrenting sometimes well, hurts the industry.  However first a person needs to get the item first, whatever it is a movie, song, pictures etc. Then they need to start packaging things together in zip files.     However am pretty sure everyone pirates.  Getting music off of youtube with a converter, that's in a sense pirating since you didn't purchase the song and are listening to it for free. However there are sometimes reasons for pirating, maybe you want to find a special track of music which can't be purchased in a store and your only resort to pirate it. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I never understood the true nature of a VPN. What is really used for, and why?

I'm not all that clear on it as well, but I think it is something like hiding who you are. Telling whoever is trying to get your IP that you are from China and not America or somewhere else in the world. It is either used for 1. Avoiding DDoS 2. You doing something shady that you want to hide because it may or may not be illegal

*AFAIK* take it lightly, as I am not completely sure.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

As I said elsewhere earlier today :  I download songs, albums or even full discographies, listen, decide which ones I want to buy and buy them.  If it wasn't for me illegally downloading music to determine which songs I like, I'd have spent about $2K less on music than I have now.  Pretty sure I'm not the only one who does this.

Same with movies and series.  I download them and if I liked them I'll buy them ...  assuming they're available, of course.  I've already had stuff flown halfway across the world because it wasn't for sale locally.

I torrent, but do not pirate, Torrenting is not Pirating! 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The vote does not give me enough say so I will tell you here.

I used to pirate a decent amount of games. If I really liked it I would get them on steam maybe (I remember 3 examples maybe a few more).

After some time I got tired of the hassle of trying to pirate a game, it kinda working and just the work involved.

Also the times I had to format my hard drive due to me being scared of a virus.

So now if I want I game I will just look at gameplay, reviews, and if available company policy (Nintendo and evolve I'm looking at you) and decide weather I buy it.

But now I always buy them.

The vote does not give me enough say so I will tell you here.

I used to pirate a decent amount of games. If I really liked it I would get them on steam maybe (I remember 3 examples maybe a few more).

After some time I got tired of the hassle of trying to pirate a game, it kinda working and just the work involved.

Also the times I had to format my hard drive due to me being scared of a virus.

So now if I want I game I will just look at gameplay, reviews, and if available company policy (Nintendo and evolve I'm looking at you) and decide weather I buy it.

But now I always buy them.

Indeed. Original hackers and crackers that provide games, and movies, etc. promote the sale of the actual product, stating "if you enjoy it, support the developers and buy it!" I couldn't agree more with that ideology. I think of things as an extended trial, like for instance. The 30 day trial of Photoshop isn't enough for people who don't have much time on their hands as others.

As I've said before, I truly don't see the crime in using something like Photoshop, for personal, non-commercial use.

i used to torrent, then I got caught. It's been over 2 years and I don't even miss it :P

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

tbh I dont care how it affects the industries it does. You might be thinking, what is this annoying kid saying, but I'm just telling the truth. With the twenty dollars I might get from my parents every couple of weeks, I cannot afford to hang out with friends, and buy games. You cannot torrent friends.

Oh, and I mainly only pirate single player, non large games. Anything multiplayer I buy on steam, and any single player games I absolutely love I buy on steam. Such as Skyrim, Arma 3, and Euro Truck Simulator. Oh, and if LAN works on a multiplayer game, I torrent it along with friends as we can play together without losing the penny.

When it comes to software, if I cannot get it from my school for free, I pirate it. For example, because of my graphic design class I get some adobe products for free. If not, instead of using free alternatives I simply do a quick search on piratebay. Sony Vegas, pirated. Photoshop, legal copy. 

If watching youtube with adblock is considered stealing, than I do that to.

For what I use it, it doesn't affect the industry in the least. Because I wouldn't be buying the 95% of the stuff I torrent in the first place.

For softwares, I try to keep to free softwares, anything that's "mission critical" for me is either paid for or free. Like Acronis which I paid. I also bought my RETAILS copy(not oem) of Windows xp pro, 7 ultimate and even 8 pro(don't use it), totalizing nearly $700 in software in just that alone...

That said I do have a few ill-acquired softwares... but nothing I use often.

For games, I "pirate" in order to "try" a game before buying. If I like it, I generally end up buying it. (like Dying Light)

It's also to see if I can even run the damn game... The woes of having an "outdated" PC. (and sh*t console ports)

Because PC games demo are such a rare thing these days and videos aren't enough to give me an idea if I like the game or not. (like Cities Skylines... I loved watching people play on youtube... but when I tried it, it was just boring to me)

For movies, I ain't buying most of them. Last ones I bought were the Toys Story movies... and quite honestly I regret it, there's like 30 minutes of Ads before starting the damn movie... I didn't pay to f*king watch ads god damn it.

This comes to mind:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/28jwew2.jpg

As for music, I don't listen to any and there's youtube if I were to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

i used to torrent, then I got caught. It's been over 2 years and I don't even miss it :P

Like, the cops came to your house, or your parents found out?

I torrent, but do not pirate, Torrenting is not Pirating! 

Is what you torrent freeware, or something you've payed for?

Is what you torrent freeware, or something you've payed for?

I torrent things that have a torrent. Such as ISOs. Linux ISOs usually have torrent options that are faster than a download.

Or games that are freeware. (Directly from the Dev site) 

I have never pirated a piece of software. 

Your question is flawed as torrenting and piracy are not synonymous.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Your question is flawed as torrenting and piracy are not synonymous.

Okay, so do you pirate things illegally?

I see the millions-billions of dollars these companies sit on/make, so do I feel bad for them? Not really.

I too do not feel bad for the people losing their hard earned money due to thieves stealing from them.

BTW, if this is a research study, the results should be private. 

Also, your second question is not really related to the first. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I too do not feel bad for the people losing their hard earned money due to thieves stealing from them.

Lol, in an ideal world I would feel bad, but with CEO's and other "higher ups" stealing from there workers I'm not pinning the blame on piracy. What I don't understand is how Sony can fire their workforce due to "budget cuts", yet the management goes home and cries into their millions of dollars. Same with musicians and actors, they say "piracy hurts me" yet drive around in a car that is worth more than everything I own. Also, I would like to point out that DRM and distribution systems are also a huge cause of piracy, since they hinder the experience and lessen the value of the product. Zero effort goes into fixing this issue, which is a problem because pirating something is better not because of cost, but because "it doesn't suck". I can't count how many times DRM has messed up with Xbox music and left me without the music I payed for, or games that had activation problems since the validation system was just plain broken(Securom for example). I rarely ever pirate things because I agree, "stealing is bad", but I'm not going to let a broken system get ignored when bringing up how "piracy is bad".

Not really. I can't remember the last time I actually torrented anything, except for Alan Wake back when that was on Humble Bundle and I gave the Steam keys away. Also, I never voted on  the poll, I don't like the options. I think overall it has a negative effect, but it's absolutely justifiable and in some cases it can benefit the content creator. Plus, it's kinda difficult to feel sorry for anyone who puts DRM that fucks up the game/service for legit customers, and I don't really want to be seen as sympathetic to them.

How do you know they're stealing from their workers? To hold such a title is no easy job, and of course any CEO of a major company will be adequately compensated. Whether the decisions they make as the CEO are right is another question, but regardless pirating is stealing, no matter how you look at it.

DRMs/ Poor distribution may be an issue, but let's be honest, how many of the pirates out there pirate solely for such reasons?

I torrent things that have a torrent. Such as ISOs. Linux ISOs usually have torrent options that are faster than a download.

Or games that are freeware. (Directly from the Dev site) 

I have never pirated a piece of software. 

*never*, I lack trust in this statement.

*never*, I lack trust in this statement.

Never. Paid for everything. Paid $99.99 for Windows. 

"They explain how pirating music and movies costs the U.S. economy over $200 Billion a year, and over 750,000 jobs."

Yet they're still here, making millions & billions of dollars..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I torrent some TV shows i really like, not because im too tight to pay for them but because im sick to death of Australia getting things months/years after everyone else. As a general rule if i torrent a show/movie i buy it as soon as it hits the shelves over here. I have a 1400+ strong DvD+Blu-Ray collection (all 100% retail copies)