Windows 10 to Use P2P to Deliver Updates

GoodBytes

Leaked build of Microsoft's upcoming OS reveals potentially faster distribution model for patchesTo help speed up the Windows Update experience, Microsoft has included a peer-to-peer option in the latest leaked build of Windows 10. It also includes the ability to have other computers in your network to share the update, potentially reducing bandwidth consumption.

Posted Image

While Microsoft has traditionally uses Windows Update to deliver OS and some application updates from a single source, the latest leaked build of Windows 10 reveals that the company is moving towards P2P. A new option allows Windows 10 users to enable "updates from more than one place," with the ability to download apps and OS updates from multiple sources to obtain them more quickly.

Apps and OS updates can be downloaded from Microsoft and PCs on a local network, or a combination of local PCs, internet PCs, and Microsoft’s traditional Windows Update servers. It’s no surprise that Microsoft is moving towards this distribution model. The software maker acquired Pando Networks in 2013, the maker of a peer-to-peer file sharing technology that’s similar to BitTorrent. It’s not clear what technology Microsoft is using for its Windows 10 testing, but it’s reasonable to expect it has evolved from the Pando Networks acquisition.

Source:http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/15/8218215/microsoft-windows-10-updates-p2p]http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/15/8218215/microsoft-windows-10-updates-p2pOther Sources:

Click here to view the article

Oh hey thats neat. Will ISPs block that too :P since you know the only usage of p2p networks is pirating.

Doubtful, or they'd catch hell.

This is a great post, GoodBytes.

For those of us with 5-6 computers, local transfer will be much nicer. That's without even considering those with data caps.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Look guys, microsoft is evolving! That's a good sign, they're not all dinosaurs around there

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Oh hey thats neat. Will ISPs block that too :P since you know the only usage of p2p networks is pirating.

this made me laugh. i hate how thats all people think P2P is used for. it has so many legitamate uses all masked by the illegal ones

i'm really looking forward for W10, seems like this is going to be the next big OS

Goooood. The LAN stuff will be amazing. My computers (4-5) currently run a mix of Win7 and Win8.1, when I upgrade this will take a lot of the load from my very limited bandwidth. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

yay, dammit ms release the build pls

And what if the isp throttles p2p? Then worse download speeds.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

That is why you can use the old method.

Hopefully the Windows 10 market will be enough that your ISP stop doing this.

What is a big part of the problem in updating Windows? Download speed. Especially if you are doing a clean install of Windows that has been out for a while.

To help improve the experience, in the latest leak build of Windows 10, it has been discovered that Windows 10 will use peer-to-peer (P2P) protocol to distribute the OS updates.

But it doesn't stop there, It also includes the ability to have other computers in your network to share the update, helping reduce, potentially, internet bandwidth.

As long as it's systems Microsoft has 100% oversight of, fine.  I won't use it if I'm downloading from unknown sources (like traditional P2P).

My PC specifications are in my profile.

As long as it's systems Microsoft has 100% oversight of, fine. I won't use it if I'm downloading from unknown sources (like traditional P2P).

I'm sure the system will utilise hash checking to ensure updates are legitimate before running them.

This means that a user with multiple PCs can set one machine to update over the internet then use that machine as an update server for other machines on the LAN, that's a brilliant feature.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'm sure the system will utilise hash checking to ensure updates are legitimate before running them.

This means that a user with multiple PCs can set one machine to update over the internet then use that machine as an update server for other machines on the LAN, that's a brilliant feature.

I understand and like the concept.  My concern is the external computers.  Do they plan to peer with end-user systems?  If I'm peering with you, for example, how do I know your system is clean and won't piggy-back malicious code over to my computer?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I understand and like the concept. My concern is the external computers. Do they plan to peer with end-user systems? If I'm peering with you, for example, how do I know your system is clean and won't piggy-back malicious code over to my computer?

Hash checking :)

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

yes hash check, if the files are being used to seed it won't be able to rewritten (override) by something else

yes hash check, if the files are being used to seed it won't be able to rewritten (override) by something else

What will happen is MS will push out an update manifest file which lists the updates and their MD5 sums. When a users machine gets a file (or even part of a file) from P2P it will MD5SUM it then check the hash against the manifest, if they match the file is real, if not its been tampered with and will be deleted before its even run. A virus can't infect a PC if its never run on the system its infecting.

Finally, something Microsoft can get kudos for.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Isp here already throttle p2p data like crazy so for me i like that they kept the better method still

excellent!

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Meanwhile the server managers laugh at this as we already use P2P to push updates from our WSUS servers inside our domains.  B)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yay for local network too. Then only one pc locally has to dl it at some point and everyone else can still get it if you lose connectivity, and potentially at gigabit speeds too :)

Sweet, another reason to hate Windows update. My ISP throttes P2P traffic regardless of legality, and with 2.5mbps down throttling is a big deal. Oh well, the share over lan is a nice feature I guess, but I can see flaws with it.