How do I cut a zip tie that is really tight on a few cables?

legend8887

I put a zip tie on a few cables and it is too tight to get a pair of scissors in there and cut it.

Next time I should probably use those Velcro straps.

With a sharp knife or thin scissors and a large dose of patience. Try just snipping away at part of the cable tie.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

you can open it with a screwdriver

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I am guessing you could use a sharp knife and kinda use it like a tiny saw. Should get through at some point.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Pliers

With this type of head, i've never seen a household without at least one

cutting-plier-000259270-4.jpg

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

pliers ^^^

everyone should have some, its one of the most important tools

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

carefully 

lol , but seriously make sure the power is off and unplugged first (in case you cut the wire a little ) but just use a pair if side-snips , or an exacto knife and go slow @legend8887 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

SNIP

this is honestly the most useful tool when it comes to cable management

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

this is honestly the most useful tool when it comes to cable management

What is?

What is?

@C_Mike 's photo

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

cut the block part of the cable tie. That always works for me.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

method ive used more then once get something solid & thin..metal part of a screw driver, nail ect, and edge it between yourt cable bundle and the tie so it goes though the hole, hold the cable bundle and twist it, eventually the tie will snap.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Use something like these 

69177_41AVDE.jpg

To cut this bit

508afc64b2.png

This ^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Before I had a pair of wire cutters, I used to use my box cutter, and I put the tip of the blade in between the cable and the tie and gave it a sharp tug. Came right off.

Maybe a cigarette lighter? if you hold it at the right distance i guess you could make the cable hot/soft enough to just pull it apart without any flames/damage to the cables?

On second thoughts seems pretty silly but something i would probably do none the less :)

Maybe a cigarette lighter? if you hold it at the right distance i guess you could make the cable hot/soft enough to just pull it apart without any flames/damage to the cables? On second thoughts seems pretty silly but something i would probably do none the less :)

Please tell me you're not serious... Honestly that is not even worth the risk, and probably wouldn't work, almost 110% sure it wouldn't, you would also run the risk of a) burning yourself b:-) Melting the plastic and sealing the wires together, and melting the rubber so there is no way to get them apart. 

Pliers and patience + being careful will get it off as long as you go for the square part where you pull it through to lock it. You can try going at it with scissors as well but you'll want to be EXTREMELY careful, for your fingers' sake and the wire safety.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

If the zip ties are small enough, nail clippers.

Any larger, use the clippers suggested earlier.

Please tell me you're not serious... Honestly that is not even worth the risk, and probably wouldn't work, almost 110% sure it wouldn't, you would also run the risk of a) burning yourself b:-) Melting the plastic and sealing the wires together, and melting the rubber so there is no way to get them apart. 

Pliers and patience + being careful will get it off as long as you go for the square part where you pull it through to lock it. You can try going at it with scissors as well but you'll want to be EXTREMELY careful, for your fingers' sake and the wire safety.

While i agree its not the best solution i have used a cigarette lighter to get myself out of zip ties that were around my wrists, its just a matter of pulling them apart as the heat is applied. They become soft and pull apart long before ignition if you keep the flame at a reasonable distance lol

Obviously the pointy looking pliers/snips would be the best thing to use but sometimes you have to improvise :) haven't you ever been in a bind where you're forced to think outside the box and use limited resources to problem solve?  

I put a zip tie on a few cables and it is too tight to get a pair of scissors in there and cut it.

Next time I should probably use those Velcro straps.

I use pliers on the head of the zip tie. If you can compress it enough, it will either break or loosen enough for the teeth to pass through.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

use a laser gun *pew pew*

but really, cut through the thick part where the locking mechanism is and use sharp pliers like those for stripping cables

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified