Cities Skylines! Who else is playing?

Geldar

Anyone else out there playing this wicked new game? 

How is everything going?

Not me.

City-building games are as dry as a month-old piece of toast.

I am, loving it, just dont run with dxtory running in the background so yeah, that sucks

Either you're master race or you're not.

I'm playing it. About 6 hours in, 13k population and my biggest problem is getting people to industry.

<-this guy the best guy

(not me a youtuber)

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

I'm playing it. About 6 hours in, 13k population and my biggest problem is getting people to industry.

Ive played 3 hrs n can play any more till i get home from work xD safe to say i dreamt in game last night!

when i first started i kept building too many roads (i was planning it all out) turns out roads are expensive!

"Who else is playing?"

Oh... only 29k other people.

QE9f36g.jpg

That is alot but i more ment in LTT xD

i am, haven't gotten to play nearly enough. i can't go smoke and get something to eat while I build up surplus cash like in the old sim cites. the early game is frantic almost, when you get a police station unlocked the town decides it need law now or we will just rob people too, housing prices plummet people move out, place police station when i get back from getting a drink within two minutes the town does a 180 and housing prices go back up. this is until you get the next unlock the processes happens again. I hope to get to a point where the city can manage itself for 10 mins. i'm sure it calm down when I unlock everything and if i build smart. not going to happen.

"Who else is playing?"

Oh... only 29k other people.

QE9f36g.jpg

Woop Woop! Civ V! 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

i am, haven't gotten to play nearly enough. i can't go smoke and get something to eat while I build up surplus cash like in the old sim cites. the early game is frantic almost, when you get a police station unlocked the town decides it need law now or we will just rob people too, housing prices plummet people move out, place police station when i get back from getting a drink within two minutes the town does a 180 and housing prices go back up. this is until you get the next unlock the processes happens again. I hope to get to a point where the city can manage itself for 10 mins. i'm sure it calm down when I unlock everything and if i build smart. not going to happen.

Yeah i think when services unlock the city goes down hill to fast

Yeah i think when services unlock the city goes down hill to fast

They also give you money when you unlock them so you have the ability to buy them.

It is meant as an early game progression. So when the game starts the player would not be overwhelmed with getting schools and clinics and all that. It they needed that from the start half of the town would be services. And you have to pay for the maintenance for them.

It seems that the unlock system there is there for the pacing and a bit easier balancing.

They also give you money when you unlock them so you have the ability to buy them.

It is meant as an early game progression. So when the game starts the player would not be overwhelmed with getting schools and clinics and all that. It they needed that from the start half of the town would be services. And you have to pay for the maintenance for them.

It seems that the unlock system there is there for the pacing and a bit easier balancing.

at 10k in people, unlocked most stuff, game is much better. Just starting to see a great city spring up now.

Same here, apparently well educated people can not work there. So keep your city dumb if you want more industry.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Same here, apparently well educated people can not work there. So keep your city dumb if you want more industry.

That is not actually my problem. My education level is rather low. 50% is low education. I think the problem is that there is enough of a distance from my industry to where they live and the roads aren't efficient enough to get them there. Bus lines did help but when I created my farm industry I got the same problem there again.

I probably have to run a metro line there and rebuild my bus lines once again.

<-this guy the best guy

(not me a youtuber)

100% agreed

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If you can build offices, do that instead of going for industry. almost zero pollution and you'll be able to use those educated workers.

As for keeping them dumb, make sure some areas have no school or just reduce the budget for education.

I heard that the game throttles back as the population increases. I think I know why too.

Looking at my 50k city, my CPU is at 45%. Increasing the speed to the middle position (without changing views or anything) raises the CPU to 65%. At fast forward all 4 cores are around 95% (i5-2500 @ 3.8)

GPU usage is around 45% on my 770 no matter what I do. No idea if SLI works, but I just don't see why I should try that.

Perhaps the thing that I like most is that it works on Linux too. One small step for Tux, one giant leap for mankind.

Is this a good one to start with if your new to City Builders?

Should be good. It's normal to fail repeatedly at first no matter what city builder you play.

I was about to launch it again, so far I started with a typical curved neighborhood, loving the look:

I also had a bit of traffic issues that I managed to divert with the heavy traffic ban which let me force the traffic to a turnpike style elevated pass that feeds straight into the Farmlands and Forestry areas, here it is overlooking my high density area:

EDIT: No extension on the stupid images so here's a link to my steam public library:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Peligrosisimo/screenshots/?appid=255710

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah is fairly close to all other decent city builders (named Simcity up to 4) but here's a friendly tip: Don't pay attention to all friendly tips. The tutorials and alerts will initially overwhelm you and push you to upgrade and provide services far too early, it's ok to grow your city with lower levels of happiness and landvalue at first, only stop focusing on fire first, then health and education and lastly police (since well educated population reduces crime)

The typical newbie mistake is to try to build your first schools and clinics as soon as they're available and that means it will kill your budget and slow your growth, sometimes to the point of crashing the economy.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If you can build offices, do that instead of going for industry. almost zero pollution and you'll be able to use those educated workers.

As for keeping them dumb, make sure some areas have no school or just reduce the budget for education.

I heard that the game throttles back as the population increases. I think I know why too.

Looking at my 50k city, my CPU is at 45%. Increasing the speed to the middle position (without changing views or anything) raises the CPU to 65%. At fast forward all 4 cores are around 95% (i5-2500 @ 3.8)

GPU usage is around 45% on my 770 no matter what I do. No idea if SLI works, but I just don't see why I should try that.

Perhaps the thing that I like most is that it works on Linux too. One small step for Tux, one giant leap for mankind.

Over some time I actually didn't need to keep people dumb. They need work and and eventually they got jobs at farms.

Also if you don't have any industry the stores will start importing their goods(instead of sing the in-city goods) and that will put a lot bigger stress on the roads. If you have cargo train stations and shipyards then they will get huge numbers of trucks every so often. And you don't get tax money from getting those goods. You only get tax money from the commercial when they sell goods. But it's definitely a tradeoff over pollution.

And you can also use the office districts between commercial and residential to block the sound pollution from commercial.

As for the performance I think I mentioned it in another thread that the it does work about how you described. The devs did separate the performance of the graphics and the performance of the simulation. And since the game simulates every person it will slow down the game when you get higher population. That is also why they have that 1million hard cap. But separating the graphics performance is good since increasing population will have minimal effect on the FPS of the game. Of course there is more stuff to draw and that will have an effect but it's very minimal.

Damn, I bought this game around 8 PM last night and did not stop till 3 AM.  Have to be at work at 5 AM and now I am dying over here.  I may take lunch in my car and sleep.

I have a potato!

I wanted to wait for a sale, but I broke down and got it form GMG's VIP sale for $21.

I've been watching Northernlion play it for awhile, and it seems to be as good as it looked. I'm going to lose astronomical numbers of hours in it, though, made worse by how slowly and cautiously I play these kinds of games.