Valve not taking any royalties from Source 2 engine - just have your game on Steam

Aniallation

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/04/source-2-is-actually-free-like-for-free/

We've had news on the release of Source 2, but it seems that Valve is offering it truly for free, unlike Unreal and Unity, the only catch being that your game would require to be published on Steam. So as long as you're okay with publishing your game on Steam, seems that Value won't be taking any royalties for use of their Source 2 Engine.

Valve’s sudden entry into the engine race, with an official announcement of Source 2, seems to have put them right up front alongside frenzied rivals Unity and Unreal. (Poor old Crytek, eh?) Meeting with studio bigwig Erik Johnson today, I learned that when they say Source 2 is “free”, they mean it. Unlike Unity’s (much lowered) subscription rates (for larger teams), and Epic’s revenue cut of successful projects, Valve won’t be asking for any money at all. Well, sort of… They just require that the game be launched on Steam, along with anywhere else you might want to sell it.

That’s pretty huge. But it’s important to point out it’s also pretty smart. In real-terms, it does mean Valve are going to be getting – in fact – 30% of your revenue, as is standard for anything sold on Steam. However, and crucially, developers are going to be free to also sell their game anywhere else, which means you can also use stores that take far lower cuts. Use Source 2, put your game on Steam and take advantage of Steamworks, the community features, and so on, but direct all your customers to your Humble store where only see 5% won’t reach you.

Of course, as Valve well knows, if a game’s on Steam, most of its sales are going to be on Steam. That’s the current state of the industry, at least. But the counter to that is, if you make your game in Unreal, you’re still going to want to have it on Steam when you launch (or especially if you want to use Early Access). Cross Unreal’s threshold of grossing over $3,000 per quarter, and 5% of that is going Epic’s way, as well as Valve’s 30%.

At the moment, if you’re a lone developer or a small team, Unity 5 still looks like it might be the best deal. Free for lone devs, and only $1500 outright (or $75 a month) for teams, massive success won’t cost you any more like Epic’s deal.

Plus there are no shackles at all, no requirement to pay Valve’s tithe. But Source 2’s arrangement, for those who know they’re going to seek a Steam presence anyway, looks like it could be extremely appealing/

If you’re a developer, whether a bedroom coder or working for a big corp, let us know which way you see yourself or your studio heading.

"Rawr XD"

mZkXibv.gif

Appropriate gif.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

wow, so i guess now we will get a ton of fan made half life 3's :lol:

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

giphy.gif

You got some Sauce for that?

Because he had a hard drive.

Let's create half life 3. Make it happen people.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

The Sauce for the UnEdited one 

Oh like that, nope random google gif find :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Oh like that, nope random google gif find :D

If you want to Post Gifs like me,  you've to be able to Sauce Gifs in a moment

Because he had a hard drive.

If you want to Post Gifs like me,  you've to be able to Sauce Gifs in a moment

I am sorry to disappoint you Castiel. :(

I am really not, cause I am gangster like that.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Yeah, that's because they take a cut of the profits from Steam sales. So it's basically the same thing.

They probably made it free because they know they're going to make bank from Source 2 games sold through Steam. Not a bad strategy though, and it's still a good thing that Source 2 is free.

COMIC SANS

You still realize that they take 30% if you charge anything for the game.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm ok with this since they do not ask you to be exclusively on steam. You can have your game on gog or origin or consoles etc as long as it's also on steam.

This seems fair enough really, and honestly who doesn't put their games on steam.  

They aren't taking a larger Cut then any other steam game, And it seems fair to have the steam availability as a requirement given the free engine. It's not exclusive agreement, and it's wise for a developer/publisher to offer their games on steam anyways.

So they are taking a 30% royalty. 

Why does no one seem to see this? lol

By making it "royalty free", yet force devs to release on steam, they are guaranteeing a 30% cut of all game sales from Source 2 games.

Granted, I doubt they'd ever let Source Engine games ever be released elsewhere, but none the less, saying it's "royalty free" is misleading at best.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

As a person who hopes to build a game one day, I think that this is a great move. Between this and UE4 being free (before you publish), this will make it much easier (cheaper) for people to learn how to make games on amazing engines.

Its also a win win scenario for developers and valve, since they get 30% for games sold through steam and developers have to pay less and they get the flexibility to publish on multiple platforms.

Why does no one seem to see this? lol

By making it "royalty free", yet force devs to release on steam, they are guaranteeing a 30% cut of all game sales from Source 2 games.

Granted, I doubt they'd ever let Source Engine games ever be released elsewhere, but none the less, saying it's "royalty free" is misleading at best.

Source 2 games don't have to be exclusively sold through steam

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/source-2-will-be-free-wont-ask-for-royalties/

PUN INTENDED   :P

It's not an exclusivity agreement. Devs are free to release the games via any distribution method, as long as it's also on steam... And for steam sales they take their usual 30% cut. If people have a problem with that they should be criticizing the steam model... Not the source 2 model because devs are free to also sell on gog, origin also where valve gets no cut.

As a person who hopes to build a game one day, I think that this is a great move. Between this and UE4 being free (before you publish), this will make it much easier (cheaper) for people to learn how to make games on amazing engines.

Its also a win win scenario for developers and valve, since they get 30% for games sold through steam and developers have to pay less and they get the flexibility to publish on multiple platforms.

Source 2 games don't have to be exclusively sold through steam

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/source-2-will-be-free-wont-ask-for-royalties/

PUN INTENDED   :P

It's not an exclusivity agreement. Devs are free to release the games via any distribution method, as long as it's also on steam... And for steam sales they take their usual 30% cut. If people have a problem with that they should be criticizing the steam model... Not the source 2 model because devs are free to also sell on gog, origin also where valve gets no cut.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying that.

With that in mind, whatever other platform they sell on, Steam will invariably be their largest platform.

And I have no problem with Valve taking a 30% cut. They provide a convenient platform with 99% of the games I desire. Until another platform offers the same games and is better, at any rate. Origin comes close in certain ways, but lacks the catalogue of Steam.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)