Valve not taking any royalties from Source 2 engine - just have your game on Steam

Aniallation

With that in mind, whatever other platform they sell on, Steam will invariably be their largest platform.

this is true, unless it's a multiplatform game releasing on consoles as well.

They get more money from a developer putting their game on Steam than they would get if the developer licensed the engine traditionally and never put it on Steam.

Win/win for them.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

So they are giving it away for "free", as in, you have to sell the game in a way, that ensures valve 30% of your entire revenue?

Well I guess It's still cheaper if you use steam anyways.

Is it steam exclusive though? Because that would be shit.

I guess valve are still pissed off that titan fall became origin exclusive.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Why does no one seem to see this? 

You know about beer goggles right? There are some pairs on the tech world, some work for Nvidia, some for AMD, some in this case for Valve though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This makes sense for devs who already want to sell on steam (in addition to whatever other stores they are using). Because for those devs who plan to be on steam they can get source 2 for no additional cost.

It doesn't make sense for devs who want to avoid steam at all costs.

Is it steam exclusive though? Because that would be shit.

no. The clause is that the game must also be on steam... I.e you can release on consoles and gog and origin etc as long as you also release on steam at the same time, and for steam sales valve takes usual 30% cut.

As I said above this makes sense for devs who plan to be on steam anyway. For devs who want to avoid steam I think unreal model is better.

But the counter to that is, if you make your game in Unreal, you’re still going to want to have it on Steam when you launch (or especially if you want to use Early Access). Cross Unreal’s threshold of grossing over $3,000 per quarter, and 5% of that is going Epic’s way, as well as Valve’s 30%. At the moment, if you’re a lone developer or a small team, Unity 5 still looks like it might be the best deal.

Considering that Epic now also has a fund for Unreal projects (that only have to be in "working prototype"-stage) as well as everything they include for free with their engine, I still think Unreal is a great choice for small teams

Thing is, for a lone Dev, who would other wise have to go through greenlight, doesn't this give them auto access to steam. Or do they still have to go through greenlight?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

No, problem!

Just go PAY MONEY for some other engine then!

And have your game never appear on steam afterwards! Im sure youll earn a lot more by NOT having your game on steam.

No 30% sale cut from your game if you dont sell it, right!?! YEA!

holy fucking jesus balls... some of the people in this thread are beyond SPECIAL

i can't believe they have the NERVE to release THE GAME ENGINE THEY MADE free for use only to turn around and APPLY ROYALTIES if I make a game ON THEIR GAME ENGINE and release it ON THEIR DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION PLATFORM!!!!

What the hell is next?!  Are grocery stores going to start charging me for the food I take out of there now?

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Why does no one seem to see this? lol

By making it "royalty free", yet force devs to release on steam, they are guaranteeing a 30% cut of all game sales from Source 2 games.

Granted, I doubt they'd ever let Source Engine games ever be released elsewhere, but none the less, saying it's "royalty free" is misleading at best.

Now imagine if EA said the same with the Frostbite engine. Imagine the butthurt. People have the best double standards with Valve and their practices. 

That being said, I'd rather have Frostbite be loosed upon the world for people to create what they will. Far more powerful a engine, IMO. 

I hope this doesn't go the other way and Games with Source-Engine get a free pass to be published on Steam.

There is enough crap already.

That being said, I'd rather have Frostbite be loosed upon the world for people to create what they will. Far more powerful a engine, IMO.

We don't know yet about the technical capabilities of source 2 apart from the fact that it supports vulkan and has a good new toolset.

Having said that I too like Frostbite. Seems to be a solid engine. However I think EA sees it as a valuable resource to be utilized across all EA's studios. Rather than licensing it out to 3rd parties.

Can't wait to see all the new games. :D

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

So they are taking a 30% royalty. 

Exactly what I was thinking.

"There's no royalty on games made with Source 2. Just put it on Steam where we take a 30% cut off the top."

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Now imagine if EA said the same with the Frostbite engine. Imagine the butthurt. People have the best double standards with Valve and their practices. 

what a worthless post with zero substance....

pls link me the stacks of comparison videos of source2 and frostbite, btw

You forget one thing sir.

Origin.

No one wants to willingly use that crap, we do so because of a lack of choice.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying that.

With that in mind, whatever other platform they sell on, Steam will invariably be their largest platform.

And I have no problem with Valve taking a 30% cut. They provide a convenient platform with 99% of the games I desire. Until another platform offers the same games and is better, at any rate. Origin comes close in certain ways, but lacks the catalogue of Steam.

Waiting for the GOG client ;)

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

this is actually quite a smart move, since valve takes 20-30% for having the game on steam

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

You still realize that they take 30% if you charge anything for the game.

you are probably reaching a much greater audience paricularly if you are a lone developper or a little game company. The 30 % cut would be acceptable if you reach 2-3 times more people through Steam than with more traditional methods which is probably feasible

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

gotta love valve. Source is still one of the best game engines, let alone 2. their physics engine still rivals anything else attempted, and is reason alone to use Source 2.0. Plus the source engine runs so smooth its not funny.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

So they are taking a 30% royalty.

WOW WHAT A HERITIC

GABEN DOES NOT LIKE YOU