MS Confirms that XBL services on Windows 10 WILL NOT require Gold subscriptions

hUGSSz8T-4WO.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Rejoice gamers on the PC, you need not worry about MS forcing you to have a Gold subscription to make use of all the Live features that will be included with Windows 10. 

Great news indeed. Now lets see what else they have planned to make PC gamers not worry that MS is going to go bend them over a barrel when it comes to PC gaming. 

2Wuz5Qv.png

Microsoft is making a concerted push for greater cross-platform compatibility between the Xbox One console and Windows 10. A build of the upcoming OS that leaked last year revealed the presence of a new Xbox app, and Microsoft recently said on the Xbox Wire that the Xbox Live SDK for Windows 10 "will provide access to the vast majority of Xbox Live services currently available on Xbox One, under a shared set of APIs, integrated with the Windows Store." 

But the integration of Xbox Live into Windows 10 leads to one obvious question: Will PC gamers be required to sign up for Xbox Live Gold in order to access online features in games? Premium service subscriptions are all but mandatory for consoles, but it's not something PC gamers have ever had to put up with—not since the days of TEN, anyway, and we all know how that worked out.

http://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-live-gold-wont-be-required-for-windows-10-multiplayer/

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/573285677149888514

Now this is what I want to see!

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

ill gladly pay 60$ a year for select services. Halo in glorious 4k 60 fps? WORTH IT

besides, halo is so graphically simple(relative to other games) that 4k 60fps is very possible.

xbox live is stupid why would you pay to connect to the internet

XBL is a little more than "connecting to the internet". Not saying that I agree they charge as much as 60 a year to run their servers and CDN across the world for it, and I'm not saying its not a huge source of profit, but if you're going to criticize something then do it with proper facts and not nonsense hyperbole. 

ill gladly pay 60$ a year for select services. Halo in glorious 4k 60 fps? WORTH IT

besides, halo is so graphically simple(relative to other games) that 4k 60fps is very possible.

Why not have it for free??

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

This isn't the sneaky revival of Windows Live right? Right!? (actually asking)

This isn't the sneaky revival of Windows Live right? Right!? (actually asking)

Windows Live is back, its just fully integrated into Windows 10 and doesn't cost a thing. 

Its what Windows Live should've been if MS didn't have their heads up their asses back in the day. 

XBL is a little more than "connecting to the internet". Not saying that I agree they charge as much as 60 a year to run their servers and CDN across the world for it, and I'm not saying its not a huge source of profit, but if you're going to criticize something then do it with proper facts and not nonsense hyperbole. 

ok so you can play games online but if you bought a game why do you have to pay a monthly subscription to also play online

Windows Live is back, its just fully integrated into Windows 10 and doesn't cost a thing. 

Its what Windows Live should've been if MS didn't have their heads up their asses back in the day. 

I will approach with caution.

Good news. I knew they wouldn't charge for it on the PC.

Now maybe the people that were raging about that speculation in the other thread about MS and PC gaming will take a seat.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Good news. I knew they wouldn't charge for it on the PC.

Now maybe the people that were raging about that speculation in the other thread about MS and PC gaming will take a seat.

People? Stopping speculation about how MS is butchering the PC gaming market? 

Never. Not in your wildest dreams. 

Xbox Live costs as much as it does to recover the costs lost in other parts of the ecosystem. The original Xbox 360 was sold at a loss and at best the Xbox One is breaking even. The extra perks you get with Xbox Live, like Games for Gold, are just there to keep you paying for a service that you ultimately wouldn't need if the everything was fairly balanced in terms of pricing.

i thought they were making money from just the console with xbox one

ok so you can play games online but if you bought a game why do you have to pay a monthly subscription to also play online

You're not really paying to play online, you're paying for xbox live. Which gives you access to a bit more than just being able to play online. 

You're not really paying to play online, you're paying for xbox live. Which gives you access to a bit more than just being able to play online. 

could you play online without xbox live?

could you play online without xbox live?

You're bending the issue to be obtuse. 

We've explained why it exists and why it costs money. 

Microsoft is my friend. :)

Xbox Live gives you free games each month and exclusive discounts so it is worth it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Glad they saw the sense in not even attempting to try it, they would me mad to think that anyone would pay for gold on a PC.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

You're bending the issue to be obtuse. 

We've explained why it exists and why it costs money. 

ok microsoft is trying to make back money but 60 dollars a year really. so in 5 years (the average expected lifespan of consoles) they pretty much made the entire cost of the console. and ive been hearing conflicting things some people say you can play online multiplayer games without xbox live and some people say you need xbox live to play online. if you can play online multiplayer but just no internet access it would make sense i guess because you are getting it to play the games and you can play extra for some more functionality 

ok microsoft is trying to make back money but 60 dollars a year really. so in 5 years (the average expected lifespan of consoles) they pretty much made the entire cost of the console. and ive been hearing conflicting things some people say you can play online multiplayer games without xbox live and some people say you need xbox live to play online. if you can play online multiplayer but just no internet access it would make sense i guess because you are getting it to play the games and you can play extra for some more functionality 

I don't know what XBOX games they're playing online but I sure as hell can't play any of my XBOX games online without XBOX Live Gold. It would not surprise me if it's only a matter of time before they try to pull the same trick on PC, not that I think they'll succeed but still...

I was just about to cheer and tell Microsoft "good job", but then I realized I would basically be saying "thank you for not screwing your customers over".

It's sad that Microsoft have become so bad and hostile towards their users that we are now applauding them for not charging us 60 dollars a year for basic functionality that have been free for decades.

Xbox Live gives you free games each month and exclusive discounts so it is worth it.

Is that sarcasm?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...