You kids have it so easy these days in building a computer....

Arct1c0n

Glad you went through it so we don't have to grandpa. :)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Get off my lawn....

double battered and deep deep fried.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

OMG you freaking heathen brits you.... cubes with beer, jesus H christ.....

I am a brit (well a jock really) and have never had ice cubes in my beer, when I was drinking am TT now.

A TT jock , there goes another squadron of pigs.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

going into the bios scared the shit out off me when i was young ! 

Nostalgia right there...

I still think I have my old 5.25" hard drive around here somewhere.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Nostalgia right there...

I still think I have my old 5.25" hard drive around here somewhere.

One of the old quantum bigfoot? Or something even older (and slower)?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

One of the old quantum bigfoot? Or something even older (and slower)?

Older and slower, lol.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Older and slower, lol.

Hmm, in that case I have no clue as to the model.

PMSL

To be honest, I'm not sure either.  I think I got it in '95... and if I remember the bigfoot came out in '96.  I could be wrong though.

To be honest, I'm not sure either.  I think I got it in '95... and if I remember the bigfoot came out in '96.  I could be wrong though.

Did you upgraded to a different one? Because if you did and your computer ran a lot faster, its a bigfoot.

PMSL

Hah whipersnapers!   ;)

First desktops I used were a Commodore PET[1] and a Cromemco Z2D[2](used as an industrial controller) and it had to be programmed in assembler, first mainframe I used was a DEC20[3].

Take that for old school.

First desktop I had at home was a, positively modern in comparison, 386 with a seperate mouse card and 4Meg of RAM. But it did have a hard drive, all 40meg of it

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromemco_Z-2

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECSYSTEM-20

"This too shall pass"

I remember IDE.

God I remember IDE....

IDE... Ugh

You must have missed UDMA 133, and never used ribbons that were just the right length (aka, neat and tidy when installed, like the ones in my ULR).

PMSL

I'll be just 21 this year but I do know a few things from this! :D

I had first PC in 2001 or 2003 don't really remember. So yeah it's 21-12 = 9 years old (too young to remmebr building any computer :D)

Most likely 2003 because I remember playing GTA Vice City

1. I don't remember that slow internet as we haven't had any at that time :D

2. I remmeber jumpers on HDDs, I've also used them a couple of years ago and then I was surprised when I bought a new HDD and could not find jumpers there  :blink:

3. Win98 :D I bought a game that was running fine on 98, but then we installed XP and I discovered that the game does not support winXP :(

4. We also had 17'' CRT, later we bought 19'' LCD, it was like 300€... Crazy stuff

5. Lowest amount of RAM I had was I think 64 or 128, when I got 512MB RAM and ATi HD 3000 series (years after that) I felt like a Boss :D

I could run War Rock at reasonable FPS :)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Anyone else remember 286 or 386 CPUs? No cpu cooler needed my amd 386 was about an inch square and didn't even have a heat sink

This made me laugh haha

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

When I built my first computer, youtube didn't exist yet and I did have to search on dozens of e-tailers website manually for the best prices since shopbot and others didn't exist/didn't know if they existed yet, also pray it wasn't some scam site since ratings/user comments were rare in those days... I didn't have 56k modem, I had a bit better (much), I think it was something like 3Mbps.

Thankfully I had someone teach me most of how to build a computer, so it went relatively fine on that side... other than me cutting myself a few dozen time on the inside of the case.. because Rounded corners? what's that, have a razor sharp edge instead.

I hated those damn jumpers on the HDD, especially on the rare occasion I had a drive that didn't have any indication of where the jumper went...

Heck, in fact, I still have the first computer I truly built from scratch. It's currently sitting under my desk, all the components still inside and "should" still be in working condition... with my feet on top of the case. :lol:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I did my own case mod even today, got out the Dremel, cut my own fan hole, and spray painted it black.

I don't know about you, but I don't reminiscence that whatsoever. I'm completely glad those days are over, and I can't wait till we progress even further.

Anyone else remember 286 or 386 CPUs? No cpu cooler needed my amd 386 was about an inch square and didn't even have a heat sink

Still got one with a motherboard that posts.

PMSL

I don't know about bending ide pins, but it sure hurts to step on upword facing ide pins

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Anyone else remember 286 or 386 CPUs?

See my post above.

"This too shall pass"

I don't know about bending ide pins, but it sure hurts to step on upword facing ide pins

How the hell do you even pull that off?

How the hell do you even pull that off?

Took apart external hard drive.

Left parts on floor.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7.  Driver downloads took half an hour on times on dial up modems

Usually the time it takes me :P #Pray4Fibre

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15