You kids have it so easy these days in building a computer....

Arct1c0n

You are hypocritical and ignorant apparently. I have no idea why you keep bringing up 1993-1999 era, since I clearly state early 2000's several times as indicated by the OP? I am unsure if it is a reading comprehension thing as this is the third time I where you have not read or understood something posted, or it could be something else entirely. I bolded a part from your last post,  you are being dismissive. You know nothing of my personal history or experience with computers (starting well before 2000 by the way), yet you feel that you must marginalize it with assumptions based on no known facts in an attempt to rationalize to yourself that my opinion and experience which is contrary must be invalid. You did the same thing in your previous post.

I have a contrary experience to the OP, something I share with friends that are far more enthusiasts then myself of the pre 2000 era. I never said that the OPs experience was wrong, just not as difficult as he discusses, hence a point by point discussion instead of blanket statement. You do realize the whole title of the thread is "You kids have it so easy...", and I am only stating that I believe that it has been easy for longer then the last several years.

I am literally, right now, tinkering with and upgrading an old computer of mine from that era (for fun), running windows 98. Its has only been marginally more difficult then it is now because not all the manufacturers still have legacy drivers. I had a couple of problems and old posts on forum 2001, cleared that up in a few minutes.

While things are easier now in comparison, operating systems like Windows 9x and the adoption of the internet made things far easier, and those things predate 2000. People still have many (not all) of the same type problems they did back then, the forums are full of these posts.

Whats your problem?  I never said your experience was wrong.  I in fact went out of my way to say:

How can I be hypocritical?  I haven't dismissed any of your experiences.   All I have done is ask why you are trying to dismiss the op's experience (and before you say you haven't I'll point you back to your post where you detail everything he said and counter it likes it's not true).  As far as I and many others are concerned what he has posted is quite reflective what was involved from 93 to 2003,  Just because you came in on the tail end of that and didn't find it to be as hard doesn't mean he is wrong. 

Yet you claim again that I am.  And you have audacity to question my reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

Also just because the op was having trouble in 2000/1 doesn't make any of his post wrong.  I have said twice now that it is quite relevant from 93 til 2003. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Whats your problem?  I never said your experience was wrong.  I in fact went out of my way to say:

Yet you claim again that I am.  And you have audacity to question my reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

Also just because the op was having trouble in 2000/1 doesn't make any of his post wrong.  I have said twice now that it is quite relevant from 93 til 2003. 

I am right to question your reading comprehension. In that statement of yours alone you state you are not dismissing my experience then continue to dismiss my experience. :rolleyes:

I doubt the OP was having trouble in 00-01, it doesn't come across that way. Its more of the back in my day trope that was being remembered worse than actual experience.

You want to stop this feuding now?

I am right to question your reading comprehension. In that statement of yours alone you state you are not dismissing my experience then continue to dismiss my experience. :rolleyes:

I doubt the OP was having trouble in 00-01, it doesn't come across that way. Its more of the back in my day trope that was being remembered worse than actual experience.

Are you done shitting in my thread yet gramps?

I am right to question your reading comprehension. In that statement of yours alone you state you are not dismissing my experience then continue to dismiss my experience. :rolleyes:

Huh? I never dismissed your experience In fact what I actually said is that your experience does not change his, ergo you cannot claim the OP is wrong because you had a different experience.  How can you sit there after dismissing the OPs experience, totally ignore what I posted (even highlighted), misrepresent it and then still claim you are the one being dismissed?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

My it teacher went on this rant so I bought really old components and built a modded pc he no longer rants about this.

Pictures, c'mon you can't just leave this shit to our imagination, that's not fair.

True that. We did come a long way didn't we? I actually started even before PC's were sold on the market (had my very first K5 CPU from AMD which I allways felt some wierd pleasure of having the Turbo button).

- Noisy fans? Well you probably don't know how most fans were back in the days (small, high RPM and by no means efficient and quiet)

- High precision "gaming" mice? You could say that, if you evber gamed on a trackball one

- Fast internet with unlimited plan? You could do better off with the cd's from the local IT magazines that usually came with all the updated software you needed

- 3D gaming card? Pff, you usually needed two cards (not for SLI mind you.. one card who came with your PC and did 2D only and a 3D extension of it).

- USB sticks not safe to keep your data on? How about a thin magnetised aluminium foil which makes a nice sound when being read and is totally unrecoverable once dead? Oh, and you wanted more than 5 GB of space? You'd better ha denough room in the case for it (and your buget).

- Unfairly hard games? Lol, you should try the first Hexen, Heretic series.

I could go on an on as well :)

There were actually some good things that are reused today.

- Mechanical keyboards

- Gamepads (and I would say games in general .. In those days 90% of the buget was not oriented towards slideshows, character animation or soundtrack, but the actual storyline and gameplay)

- Noisy fans? Well you probably don't know how most fans were back in the days (small, high RPM and by no means efficient and quiet)

Jesus, everyone and their great Grandmothers only used 80mm fans, 120mm fans were a dream as NO cases used them unless you modified it.  My Antec 1080 SOHO had 11 80mm fans on it, it was a god damn Apache at take off when I was gaming.

JaTzY.jpg

- Mechanical keyboards

- Gamepads (and I would say games in general .. In those days 90% of the buget was not oriented towards slideshows, character animation or soundtrack, but the actual storyline and gameplay)

model 'M' keyboard, gravis eliminator, my old game pads, Microsoft ball mouse (sensitivity maxed out, its actually not bad for gaming at all).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

necessary fact lol?

you know i hate it when people omit parts of what i say to make it seem like im some mindlessdipshit.

i know there is a high chance you wrote that in a playful tone but its best not to take chances with me. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

im some mindlessdipshit.

Good to know.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Huh? I never dismissed your experience In fact what I actually said is that your experience does not change his, ergo you cannot claim the OP is wrong because you had a different experience. How can you sit there after dismissing the OPs experience, totally ignore what I posted (even highlighted), misrepresent it and then still claim you are the one being dismissed?

Not dismissing his... I said this several times, back to the reading comprehension again. I am less dismissive than you, ergo, I can't be dismissive if you claim not to be. I was discussing the specific points brought up, as they were not indicative of the everyone's experience, complete with reasons why. I never said he was wrong for nth time, just that his experience is not necessarily the case for all. So attempting to address specific points, countering with my own, is part of a reasonable and rational discussion.

The discussion between the two of us is far far less than reasonable or rational. You demonstrate an unwillingness to have a reasonable discussion, just wanting to throw back and forth "no, you're dismissive", instead of discussing the specific interpretations of my points. I am done with you.

Have a great day.

Are you done shitting in my thread yet gramps?

Yep. Didn't realize a discussion thread was just another Facebook wall post for you. I like how aim shitting your posts, but the antagonist of this derail isn't.

FYI, you are older than I am, octogenarian.

Not dismissing his... I said this several times, back to the reading comprehension again. I am less dismissive than you, ergo, I can't be dismissive if you claim not to be. I was discussing the specific points brought up, as they were not indicative of the everyone's experience, complete with reasons why. I never said he was wrong for nth time, just that his experience is not necessarily the case for all. So attempting to address specific points, countering with my own, is part of a reasonable and rational discussion.

The discussion between the two of us is far far less than reasonable or rational. You demonstrate an unwillingness to have a reasonable discussion, just wanting to throw back and forth "no, you're dismissive", instead of discussing the specific interpretations of my points. I am done with you.

Have a great day.

you actually said in response to the OP,  "meh", "big deal" and "I never had this problem"  if that's not dismissive then I don't know what is.

you know i hate it when people omit parts of what i say to make it seem like im some mindlessdipshit.

i know there is a high chance you wrote that in a playful tone but its best not to take chances with me. 

sorry I didn't know that lawl

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Good to know.

sorry I didn't know that lawl

its okay...

im going trhoguh a really rough time right now.. so anything can tip me over the edge really... :/ 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Great post.

I lived through all of that.

My first build was in '99

Core i7-2600k @ 4.65Ghz - Asus Maximus IV Gene Z - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Cerilian Blue - Samsung EVO 840 250GB - Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB - 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 760 SC - Corsair AX850, custom sleaved and length - Silverstone Sugo heavily modified - Full loop with EK blocks and 360 rad, frozenq res. 

True that. We did come a long way didn't we? I actually started even before PC's were sold on the market (had my very first K5 CPU from AMD which I allways felt some wierd pleasure of having the Turbo button).

- High precision "gaming" mice? You could say that, if you evber gamed on a trackball one

- Fast internet with unlimited plan? You could do better off with the cd's from the local IT magazines that usually came with all the updated software you needed

- 3D gaming card? Pff, you usually needed two cards (not for SLI mind you.. one card who came with your PC and did 2D only and a 3D extension of it).

- USB sticks not safe to keep your data on? How about a thin magnetised aluminium foil which makes a nice sound when being read and is totally unrecoverable once dead? Oh, and you wanted more than 5 GB of space? You'd better ha denough room in the case for it (and your buget).

- Unfairly hard games? Lol, you should try the first Hexen, Heretic series.

I could go on an on as well :)

- Mechanical keyboards

Aegia FTW. Yeah don't miss the seperate physX card. Noone really supported it anyway till nividea brought them out,.

Great post.

I lived through all of that.

My first build was in '99

Ahh.... 1999....  some of the best gaming memories ever that year. 

Ahh.... 1999....  some of the best gaming memories ever that year. 

I was born in 1999

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Get off my lawn....

Sorry mate, it is occupied territory now

And i even mowed it for you and cut all the weeds 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Sorry mate, it is occupied territory now

And i even mowed it for you and cut all the weeds 

Good, now go get me a beer

Good, now go get me a beer

How many ice cubes along with it?