Twitter forces Tor users to give up phone number

To help crack down on nuisance and menacing individuals on Twitter, the social network has enacted a new policy whereby US visitors attempting to set up new accounts via the Tor anonymising browser software will be required to activate a phone number before being able to access it. Setting one up with a typical browser like Chrome or Firefox should be unaffected, but those looking to hide their IPs will need to prove their identity in some manner before being given a chance to tweet anything.

This isn’t something that appears to be affecting worldwide users of the site, as this writer didn’t receive any such prompt when setting up a bogus Twitter account using the Tor browser. However, many users have spotted it and TechCrunch too is reporting on its implementation.

tor.jpg

“Ogres are like Tor software Donkey.”

While this move will presumably make it that bit harder for trolls that sign up to multiple accounts, it presumably won’t do much good when it comes to those using VPNs or proxies to access the site. Similarly so, Tor isn’t just a tool used by the nefarious, but by people around the world seeking anonymous protection from government censorship and political groups that may wish to do them harm.

The question is, if Twitter forces users to identify themselves in some manner regardless of how they sign up, how would it react if government or authority groups demand information on those users? Part of the reason the Arab Spring was successful is because people were able to organise on Twitter and other sites without as much fear of being censored or identified by their governments and militaries.

Source : http://www.kitguru.net/channel/jon-martindale/twitter-forces-tor-users-to-give-up-phone-number/

OP : what happens if a person uses Tor on a VPN ? also what about simply use a pay as you go (prepay) phone to register

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

So, if i want to harass someone with a fake account, i can carry on as per usual, due to not being from the US? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I can check, if you want to know

do tell, i really wanna know 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

do tell, i really wanna know 

I kinda didn't read the post correctly, I need to use Tor and vpn (I use hotspot) and sign up for twitter, right?

There are a business. They can do as they want. 

Personally if I ran a social media website, I dont want terriost groups such as ISIS using it. thats one way to stop it. losing a few possible users is worth not having terriost associations.

they are there to make a profit, not be associated with terrorists or anything of the sort. 

I kinda didn't read the post correctly, I need to use Tor and vpn (I use hotspot) and sign up for twitter, right?

Tor using a VPN and use twitter on tor ,yeah

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Tor using a VPN and use twitter on tor ,yeah

erm..  nothing I used my location even in hong kong, I could easily log into my other account and signing up didn't ask for phone number

erm..  nothing I used my location even in hong kong, I could easily log into my other account and signing up didn't ask for phone number

this is recent thought , when was it you were in Hk? also 

This isn’t something that appears to be affecting worldwide users of the site

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Good!

I don't see any good reasons for tor existing.

What, no "Don't do any shady shit if you don't want to be tracked!" rhetoric about how want of privacy is "only for terrorists/child molesters"? Not everyone who likes a bit of privacy when using the Internet is breaking some outdated cockamamie bullshit laws, they just want to do something without being tracked by 90-odd companies trying to hock their wares that are useless to the person wanting privacy.

What, no "Don't do any shady shit if you don't want to be tracked!" rhetoric about how want of privacy is "only for terrorists/child molesters"? Not everyone who likes a bit of privacy when using the Internet is breaking some outdated cockamamie bullshit laws, they just want to do something without being tracked by 90-odd companies trying to hock their wares that are useless to the person wanting privacy.

I don't care if the NSA has picture of my penis in every darm employees room. Oh you don't want to be tracked? Why? Don't want your ISP see your traffic to the priatebay or do you think they care about your facebook status?

Unless you're in korea, china or some shit where every website is blocked, there is not much point of hiding yourself.

Good!

Privacy isn't a 'good reason' I assume.

care to elaborate?

edit:

I don't care if the NSA has picture of my penis in every darm employees room. Oh you don't want to be tracked? Why? Don't want your ISP see your traffic to the priatebay or do you think they care about your facebook status?

so... you forget other people are alive in other countries? people that do not have the luxury to speak their mind. like you.

edit2:

Unless you're in korea, china or some shit where every website is blocked, there is not much point of hiding yourself. 

ah, so there is (minimum) one good reason

thanks for playing!

Good!

Nevermind people in countries where you can get killed for having or expressing the wrong opinion, fuck them, we have to worry more about insecure morons who don't realize that a threat on the internet is about as serious a fly trying to knock down a brick wall.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

+1

Also, how do you think all those videos of the uprisings during the Arab spring were transmitted?

How do you think dissidents communicate in countries with oppressive regimes? (like North Korea, Iran, China, the US, Russia, etc)

There are lots of legitimate reasons to use TOR.

Good!

You either don't know the extent of online spying, are being sarcastic, or just don't understand the issue at hand in general.

In this day and age, many of us have more 'private' stuff online than we do offline.

Lets say I have a prominent position at a major law-firm. I have strong political views though, and most of the people I work with wouldn't be happy with me if I came out about it. Tor would allow me to be able to openly discuss politics on the international forum that is the internet, while minimizing any risk of my co-workers finding out.

There are plenty of people who use it for nefarious purposes, but many more who use it for perfectly legit reasons.

And of course, there is the whole over-stepping government v.s. activist side of Tor. There are plenty of reasons for its existence.

You wouldn't let Wal-mart employees, policemen, and a few odd businessmen and lawyers constantly walk through your house without your permission, right? You lock your door and don't open it unless they have a warrant or welcome them in personally. Whats wrong with doing the same online?

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

care to elaborate?

Lets put it another way: What would be the damage to you if someone you didn't know knew you was going to see your gf because you said it on facebook or if your ISP knows you're on youtube.

Point being, even if they are tracking you, who cares? Unless you're hiding something illegal then why should you care that some company knows that, especially when its private and confidential information that will never leave the office.

care to elaborate?

edit:

so... you forget other people are alive in other countries? people that do not have the luxury to speak their mind. like you.

edit2:

ah, so there is (minimum) one good reason

thanks for playing!

edit: you need to reload your page to see other peoples edits like your edits

Lets put it another way: What would be the damage to you if someone you didn't know knew you was going to see your gf because you said it on facebook or if your ISP knows you're on youtube.

Point being, even if they are tracking you, who cares? Unless you're hiding something illegal then why should you care that some company knows that, especially when its private and confidential information that will never leave the office.

I wouldn't/don't mind. but my privacy isn't up for debate. it is the privacy of ALL

I can only speak for myself. You should do the same.

"US visitors" ...............

huh !?!?!

how the hell would twitter know where tor users come from

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.