GTX 980 and 970 8GB VRAM

Moondrelor

I thought the GTX 970 8GB VRAM card was supposed to come out November 2014. Da fuq happened? I seen R9 290X 8GB, but no GTX 970 or 980 8GB. Did they have issues or? What's going on, I'd like to get my hands on that GTX 970 8GB, for some quality 4k Gaming.

never heard of them, they never mentionned it

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Omg... OMG...

Who said it was supposed to come out in November 2014?

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

It was rumored, likely not happening till GM200/ Titan X/2

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

There are not going to be any 8GB 970/980

Obviously you are very gullible and like to believe rumours...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Doubtful they will release an 8gb variant of the 970, an 8gb variant of the 980 is a given, but only once amd releases its 300 series methinks. It's all about saying you have the fastest best card in someway, and nvidia already is ahead, so no sense in spending the cash to release something that will only pull meagre sales, when if they wait they can put more emphasis on it being super good compared to amd and get better sales.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

There are not going to be any 8GB 970/980

Obviously you are very gullible and like to believe rumours...

Lol, enjoy being salty for no apparent reason. There is a difference between being gullible and curious. Don't say anything if you have anything kind to say.

Doubtful they will release an 8gb variant of the 970, an 8gb variant of the 980 is a given, but only once amd releases its 300 series methinks. It's all about saying you have the fastest best card in someway, and nvidia already is ahead, so no sense in spending the cash to release something that will only pull meagre sales, when if they wait they can put more emphasis on it being super good compared to amd and get better sales.

Any word on the 980 8gb then? Or is it all just talk?

Lol, enjoy being salty for no apparent reason. There is a difference between being gullible and curious. Don't say anything if you have anything kind to say.

Says the person claiming they are salty in their signature. lol

oh and learn to search http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/242489-gtx-970980-8gb-version-turns-out-to-be-false/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I doubt it will release, or at least no time soon. If they bring out another Titan class card, I wouldn't expect them to release a 8GB 980 at all. 

I doubt it will release, or at least no time soon. If they bring out another Titan class card, I wouldn't expect them to release a 8GB 980 at all. 

Says the person claiming they are salty in their signature. lol

oh and learn to search http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/242489-gtx-970980-8gb-version-turns-out-to-be-false/

The 970 can do 4 GB VRAM decently but you want it to do 8 GB?

I doubt it.

Memory interface is just too weak.

Guys, I dont think Nvidia even has the technology to make 8gig gpus. I mean when was the last time we saw a Nvidia 8 gig card. AMD has good ties with  SK Hynix, thats why they have 8 gigs and hbm...

I doubt Nvidia can even make one if they tried

The 970 can do 4 GB VRAM decently but you want it to do 8 GB?

I doubt it.

Doesn't work like that, it can only have max performance across 7/8 of it's memory, regardless of if it has 4GB or 8GB.

Guys, I dont think Nvidia even has the technology to make 8gig gpus. I mean when was the last time we saw a Nvidia 8 gig card. AMD has good ties with  SK Hynix, thats why they have 8 gigs and hbm...

They've made double-VRAM versions of the 760 and 780 (4GB and 6GB respectively) but not many people bought them due to the huge price increase

"Rawr XD"

They've made double-VRAM versions of the 760 and 780 (4GB and 6GB respectively) but not many people bought them due to the huge price increase

Wasent that like EVGA and other aftermarket ones? I may be wrong though. They have been able to go to 6 gigs (Titan) but never beyond that.

The titan black had 6GB

The tesla GPUs have over 12

They dont make 8GB cards because 99.9% of people dont need them and it would just make everything more expensive.

Spoiler

I doubt it.

It's not.

8GB GTX 880M

8GB GTX 980M

6GB GTX 970M (on a 192-bit memory bus)

6GB GTX 870M (on a 192-bit memory bus)

It can be done. They just don't feel like doing it for reasons unknown.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It's not.

8GB GTX 880M

8GB GTX 980M

Mobile cards != Desktop cards.

The 970 has a nerfed memory arquiteture that doesn't even have 4GB at full speed.

And people are asking for a 8 GB card.

Well that would take a complete structural overall of the card and nvidia wont bother for a niche product.

Also nice elaboration : It´s not.

It's not.

8GB GTX 880M

8GB GTX 980M

The titan black had 6GB

The tesla GPUs have over 12

They dont make 8GB cards because 99.9% of people dont need them and it would just make everything more expensive.

Titan black had 6 but not 8.

Tesla has ECC, which always has come in higher capacities for some reasons...

The M's dont have that super high speed memory...

Wasent that like EVGA and other aftermarket ones? I may be wrong though. They have been able to go to 6 gigs (Titan) but never beyond that.

There were 6GB reference 780s

"Rawr XD"

Mobile cards != Desktop cards.

The 970 has a nerfed memory arquiteture that doesn't even have 4GB at full speed.

And people are asking for a 8 GB card.

Well that would take a complete structural overall of the card and nvidia wont bother for a niche product.

Also nice elaboration : It´s not.

Want a bigger elaboration? Read the massive vRAM guide in my signature then.

Also, I disregarded your post about the 970 and specifically responded to "memory interface is too weak".

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Titan black had 6 but not 8.

Tesla has ECC, which always has come in higher capacities for some reasons...

The M's dont have that super high speed memory...

Titan black cannot hold 8. It can hold 3, 6 or 12. It's because of its bus size.

M has slower memory clocks than desktop cards, yes, but that's because that's what nVidia chose to clock them at. You can clock them up higher. Otherwise, same architecture, same bus width, etc.

No card has HBM on it yet, so that in itself is a moot point to mention.

The point is, the M cards (with "slower memory clocks") can make use of the 8GB just fine. So a 980 could do it. A 970 would be limited to 7GB full speed and 1GB slow, unless nVidia fixed the disconnect on the card... but then that'd also fix its ROP count etc, and it'd probably have to be called a 975 or something.