Skylake "confirmed" to support DDR3, up to 95W TDP, new chipsets.

LukaP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9006/embedded-world-2015-skylakedt-industrial-motherboard-spotted

4_678x452.jpg

So ComputerBase.de got its hands on an asrock prototype 1151 board with a C236 chipset and DDR3L SODIMM slots, as well as some chipset roadmaps.

One of the big talking points of Skylake is the DDR4 compatibility, but this board throws a spanner into that by supporting two DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM slots for up to 16GB of memory. It is also worth noting the separate chipset (most likely a server grade C236 for the next Xeon E3 CPUs) and support for three HDMI ports on the board.

now it was speculated that Skylake would have both memory controllers, but this basically confirms it now.

And now onto the bigger news, chipsets and TDPs

12_575px.jpg

As we can see, the PCH doesnt get a fancy new naming scheme, they will just go to X100 series now. We get the normal desktop and mobile chipsets, as well as servers E3v4/5 ones.

Whats interesting is Skylake goes on a smaller process node than Haswell, while introducing a higher TDP. This can only mean two things

• much higher clockspeeds
  • or more cores

I would wager on the more cores, be it CPU or GPU (probably a combo). What this information lets me know is that Skylake i7 range will probably be 6 cores. But we shall see.

@patrickjp93 have fun xD

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

sweet, 6 core i7s would be awesome 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

"reasonable" 6-core consumer parts on skylake? With DDR3 support? This would be pretty awesome! I can live without some of the fancy pro-sumer features on the -E chips and without DDR4 (like most consumers), but 6 cores and being able to re-use DDR3 would be amazing. If this turns out to be true I might even upgrade to skylake or the skylake refresh.

happy to hear it supports ddr3! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Would love a 6 core i7

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I will skip this generation. I dont like whole "support both ram" thing with UniDIMM.

I don't know if I should feel bad for just getting a 4690k or good because we might finally get a proper performance boost. I guess I'll pass on my old parts to my littlebrother and go balls to the walls with a i7 etc. I might finally be able to run DayZ mod, Arma 3 and so on without horrible fps drops... Brute force!

I wager both. More clock speeds AND more cores. Maybe even 6 cores in a normal i7? 

Skylake is already going to kick serious ass in the iGPU department, thats for sure. 

Well yeah. i think all i7s will be six cores, with the top i5s being non HT 6cores, and then the rest will go 4 core, with pentium staying 2c4t

I will skip this generation. I dont like whole "support both ram" thing with UniDIMM.

well this particular mobo has normal DDR3L SODIMM slots, so it means you will be able to get motherboards with DDR3 slots, so none of that unidimm nonesense

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Golly gee willikers, I better start saving up some money.

So, will the motherboard be compatible with both DDR3 and 4? Or certain boards will have 3 and other ones will have 4?

some will be DDR3, some will be DDR4, some will be UniDIMM which is intels standard that accepts both iterations

well this particular mobo has normal DDR3L SODIMM slots, so it means you will be able to get motherboards with DDR3 slots, so none of that unidimm nonesens

But that means much more motherboard models. I really want to see how they are going to implement all this.

But that means much more motherboard models. I really want to see how they are going to implement all this.

yes it does, i assume it will be the same models, with different slots or how it was done in 775 days, with both slots on the board...

I'm assuming UniDIMM is hardware patened by Intel, right? Does that mean companies like Crucial and Kingston have to start making UniDIMM ram modules?

its an intel patent if i am not mistaken, but how its done i have no idea, @patrickjp93 should know more, as i have never cared about unidimm

Intel has no plans to bring 6 cores on mainstream platforms...

TDPs are usually "slotted" ( few brackets, like 35 and 65W ) and not well defined before actual release. I'm pretty sure that if the 95W value is true, it will be due to both CPU and iGPU power combined. I think there will be a big bump on iGPUs and a small bump both on IPC and frequency, probably the new i7 K will be at the same frequency of the current 4790K.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

TDPs are usually "slotted" ( few brackets, like 35 and 65W ) and not well defined before actual release. I'm pretty sure that if the 95W value is true, it will be due to both CPU and iGPU power combined. I think there will be a big bump on iGPUs and a small bump both on IPC and frequency, probably the new i7 K will be at the same frequency of the current 4790K.

you forget the fact that they are on a process shirnk. and even haswell on 14nm is super power efficient (look at coreM). meaning the increase in TDP (which is supposed to be the top SKU TDP) has to come from somewhere, and given that intels iGPU architecture is getting a serious overhaul for gen9 (bringing power efficiency), the increased TDP plus smaller process node make no sense if the chips arent 6 core, or 5.3ish GHz.

also, the last time intel said "we do not have plans to release >4 cores on mainstream" was before we even knew the name for skylake. so its possible they changed their mind. they cant keep it exclusive to 2011 forever anyway

nah i can see them doing six cores, at the top end i7 price range, 

Hmm...I could either sidegrade to skylake...up sidegrade to zen in 2016...decisions decisions...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Hmm...I could either sidegrade to skylake...up sidegrade to zen in 2016...decisions decisions...

Wait for release? if you decide to switch, ill gladly take your current rig

Wait for release? if you decide to switch, ill gladly take your current rig

I'd have to sell it to you :P

I'm only going to keep constantly switching so the parts retain their value when i sell them

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I'd have to sell it to you :P

I'm only going to keep constantly switching so the parts retain their value when i sell them

you wouldnt be so mean now, would you :o

you wouldnt be so mean now, would you :o

It's my jewish blood, i wouldn't surrender my shekels to even you babe <3

-snip-

Nope, already confirmed quads max on 1151, so it's either the morph core, full 72-EU iGPU, higher clock speeds, or a combo platter.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nope, already confirmed quads max on 1151, so it's either the morph core, full 72-EU iGPU, higher clock speeds, or a combo platter.

pls dont quote op plus images xD

when was it confirmed 4 cores? :o

Some socket 2011-3 cpus also supports ddr3. skylake might do the same and support both?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list