Skylake "confirmed" to support DDR3, up to 95W TDP, new chipsets.

LukaP

I have a feeling a 6 core/6 thread i5 is upon us

i5 are not hyperthreaded. They wont be. If i5 had "12" cores in total then i7 wpuld have to have "16" in total at least to make sense. Highly inlikely to happen this soon. We gonna sit on 4cores for a while :(

So keep on dreaming :D

If u meant 6+6 cores i7 for consumers (Z170 mobo, not Extreme on X99 platform) then i would love to see that too :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

pls dont quote op plus images xD

when was it confirmed 4 cores? :o

Sorry, replying on a phone sucks. WCCF and extreme tech both have articles up about it claiming quads max, which makes perfect sense considering you'd need more pins for I/O for the extra cores. There's a hovering rumor Intel will go Tri-core on the I3 though and cut off HT below the I7 line.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Sorry, replying on a phone sucks. WCCF and extreme tech both have articles up about it claiming quads max, which makes perfect sense considering you'd need more pins for I/O for the extra cores. There's a hovering rumor Intel will go Tri-core on the I3 though and cut off HT below the I7 line.

That would also make sense, but then again, rumour is they will up the PCIE lanes to 20, youd need more pins for that too, but we dont get that... so maybe they are doing some clever voodoo magic to make it work with more cores. id hope so, otherwise, skylake will have to bring awesome instruction set extentions to make it even mildly interesting. or a really high performance (in real scenarios not on paper) GPGPU grade iGPU

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i5 are not hyperthreaded. They wont be. If i5 had "12" cores in total then i7 wpuld have to have "16" in total at least to make sense. Highly inlikely to happen this soon. We gonna sit on 4cores for a while :(

So keep on dreaming :D

If u meant 6+6 cores i7 for consumers (Z170 mobo, not Extreme on X99 platform) then i would love to see that too :)

I did not say HT, i said 6c/6t, so no HT. A Hyperthreaded CPU would be  6core/12thread

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Skylake will still top out at a quad core. The higher TDP is likely because of GT4e and the integration of the FCH. It's not logical for them to stab their own recently launched enthusiast platform in the back. Plus with the addition of GT4e and extra cores get ready to pay for a $500 i7 which makes no sense as that's LGA 2011 territory. Skylake will boost IPC, PCIe connectivity, and a beefier iGPU.

Plus with the addition of GT4e and extra cores get ready to pay for a $500 i7 which makes no sense as that's LGA 2011 territory. 

i dont see why they would jack up the price, by then 14nm will be a mature process with a good yield, and a 4core/72EU die would not be really big... so id assume the 300/200/140$ structure to remain

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

as long as i5s also get a core boost :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

skylake will stay at 4 cores. No way intel will make a 6 core skylake when there is 6 cores on the x99. xeons, and high-end will need more cores first before any of the mainstream cpus will get any additional cores.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

skylake will stay at 4 cores. No way intel will make a 6 core skylake when there is 6 cores on the x99. xeons, and high-end will need more cores first before any of the mainstream cpus will get any additional cores.

may i remind you of the 4820k?

may i remind you of the 4820k?

That cpu is highend runs on socket 2011 using the x79 chipset. It isnt mainstream, socket 1155 is. Intel strongly segments their cpus.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That cpu is highend runs on socket 2011 using the x79 chipset. It isnt mainstream, socket 1155 is. Intel strongly segments their cpus.

just illustrating a point.

also, hi @LinusTech

i dont see why they would jack up the price, by then 14nm will be a mature process with a good yield, and a 4core/72EU die would not be really big... so id assume the 300/200/140$ structure to remain

I was referring to a 6 core (12 thread)/GT4e chip would run you into LGA 2011 territory on cost and thermals.

A 6 core i7 would be a dream. I do wonder if Intel would actually do that though. They love to leak out new features as slowly as possible.

A 6 core i7 would be a dream. I do wonder if Intel would actually do that though. They love to leak out new features as slowly as possible.

If Zen delivers big and easily matches Skylake IPC Intel will have no choice but to roll out a 6/8 core i5/i7 with Cannonlake.

If Zen delivers big and easily matches Skylake IPC Intel will have no choice but to roll out a 6/8 core i5/i7 with Cannonlake.

I couldn't agree more; but, that's a big 'if'. 

5820k is an i7 with 6 cores. It's only a bit more expensive than 4790k. 

I think they mean on the consumer platform. The 5820K is on 2011 which is for higher-grade users. 115X is consumer.

What matters is the price. Either ways, you will need a new mobo and new RAM if you go DDR4 for Skylake. 

I did not say HT, i said 6c/6t, so no HT. A Hyperthreaded CPU would be  6core/12thread

My bad :) Still too soon for 6core i5 imho. Maybe Cannonlake.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I was referring to a 6 core (12 thread)/GT4e chip would run you into LGA 2011 territory on cost and thermals.

only if intel upped the margins on it. cost is a function of transistor count * $/transistors + margin%. so with 14nm you drop the cost per transistor enough to make it viable to produce 6core chips with graphics (and i dont see intel using GT4e on normal desktop cpus, will probably use GT3).

only if intel upped the margins on it. cost is a function of transistor count * $/transistors + margin%. so with 14nm you drop the cost per transistor enough to make it viable to produce 6core chips with graphics (and i dont see intel using GT4e on normal desktop cpus, will probably use GT3).

GT4e. The desktop is a final testing ground before the E5/E7 Xeons get made, and this time around it's a function of feature parity, raw compute performance, and competitive pricing. Intel's not dumb enough to let Zen just run amok unchecked if such a scenario can be avoided.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

GT4e. The desktop is a final testing ground before the E5/E7 Xeons get made, and this time around it's a function of feature parity, raw compute performance, and competitive pricing. Intel's not dumb enough to let Zen just run amok unchecked if such a scenario can be avoided.

fair enough. still dont see a 6/72 die be so expensive that intel would need to up the price to 500. 

I think it was AMD that once said that die prices are the smallest expense in making a chip (they were talking about gpus) and upping the die size really shouldnt jack up the prices

fair enough. still dont see a 6/72 die be so expensive that intel would need to up the price to 500.

I think it was AMD that once said that die prices are the smallest expense in making a chip (they were talking about gpus) and upping the die size really shouldnt jack up the prices

The Crystalwell cache is the expensive part, but given Intel's also aiming to put HBM on-package for the socketed versions of KNL in addition to the cards, it could be Intel decides their Xeons could use a boost up front with an HBM L4 cache. Interesting stuff coming up over the next year and a half for certain.

Hurry up Intel, I need me a skylake. Also LGA-1151 will not feature more than four cores. Come on guys, stop with the conspiracies.

If the skylake i7 is 6 cores that will be my next upgrade.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|