Skylake "confirmed" to support DDR3, up to 95W TDP, new chipsets.

LukaP

Hurry up Intel, I need me a skylake. Also LGA-1151 will not feature more than four cores. Come on guys, stop with the conspiracies.

Right. After all, Intel needs to have maximum smackdown ability for when Zen's octal-core chips still can't win in gaming.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I wager both. More clock speeds AND more cores. Maybe even 6 cores in a normal i7? 

Skylake is already going to kick serious ass in the iGPU department, thats for sure. 

I doubt it. Yes it may be powerful, but it does not have h265 decoder ....

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I doubt it. Yes it may be powerful, but it does not have h265 decoder ....

Skylake is gen 9 graphics architecture. Also, gen 8 has a hybrid decoder which is capable of doing most of the acceleration. AMD's demo of it stuttering was total crap.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Skylake is gen 9 graphics architecture. Also, gen 8 has a hybrid decoder which is capable of doing most of the acceleration. AMD's demo of it stuttering was total crap.

It is not. Intel cannot do it. It only has a h254 decoder.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

some will be DDR3, some will be DDR4, some will be UniDIMM which is intels standard that accepts both iterations

Back in the day, when LGA775 supported two controllers you either had DDR2 or DDR3.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Back in the day, when LGA775 supported two controllers you either had DDR2 or DDR3.

yes? whats your point?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Incorrect. http://techreport.com/review/26896/intel-broadwell-processor-revealed/3

Hybrid. Half dedicated hardware, half real-time calculated by the GPU cores.

Broadwell can play H.265 as it has a hybrid driver which supports H.265. The only difference is AMD can do it at a fraction of the power because of dedicated hardware.

if they make 6Core/12Thread i7s I wonder if they'll still have 4core/8thread i7s or if they'll become i5s and will that trinkle down getting rid of dual cores all together or just make a lower tier?

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

if they make 6Core/12Thread i7s I wonder if they'll still have 4core/8thread i7s or if they'll become i5s and will that trinkle down getting rid of dual cores all together or just make a lower tier?

I dont really think we should expect dual cores to cease. After all, haswell I3 did really improve hyper-threading so it really is suitable for most people.

I also dont expect a "consumer" 6 core I7 with skylake.

Just hope skylake-e comes to x99, 6960x! A 6930k with 8 cores would be cool or if the X version could have 10 or 12 cores I'd be happy!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Just hope skylake-e comes to x99, 6960x! A 6930k with 8 cores would be cool or if the X version could have 10 or 12 cores I'd be happy!

not going to happen. Skylake itself will be on Z117 so Skylake-E will come with X119 or whatever they will call those chipsets

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I dont really think we should expect dual cores to cease. After all, haswell I3 did really improve hyper-threading so it really is suitable for most people.

I also dont expect a "consumer" 6 core I7 with skylake.

Have you read the OP or like half the posts on here, and by dual cores I meant only the kind without hyperthreading  and as you call them consumer I call them i7s cause technically say 5820k 5960x and such are i7e (extreme or enthusiast)

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

damn near impossible based on the idea haswell and skylake (non es) aren't on the same chipset i doubt the e versions would be either... 

not going to happen. Skylake itself will be on Z117 so Skylake-E will come with X119 or whatever they will call those chipsets

Z170 and X190

Skylake will be Z170 and no word on Skylake-E as it's not slated until sometime after 2017.

r5hRdK5.png

Skylake will be Z170 and no word on Skylake-E as it's not slated until sometime after 2017.

Q2/Q3 2016 actually. Broadwell E will be late this year if it launches at all. Intel knows it hasn't the time to dick around and let Zen and K12 hit the server market unchecked. With Skylake S out in just two quarters, I can't imagine Intel pushing it off. As an investor I'd call it utterly foolish for them to do so.

Q2/Q3 2016 actually. Broadwell E will be late this year if it launches at all. Intel knows it hasn't the time to dick around and let Zen and K12 hit the server market unchecked. With Skylake S out in just two quarters, I can't imagine Intel pushing it off. As an investor I'd call it utterly foolish for them to do so.

None of their roadmaps point to Skylake-E in 2016. All they have listed is Broadwell-E until 2017. I guess they want to milk x99 a bit longer as Zen isn't to release until 2H 2016.

None of their roadmaps point to Skylake-E in 2016. All they have listed is Broadwell-E until 2017. I guess they want to milk x99 a bit longer as Zen isn't to release until 2H 2016.

Their roadmaps only extend to the end of 2015 with word of Cannonlake for 2017.

I think the TDP bump will partially be coming from the added circuitry for the DDR3/DDR4 combo memory controller, plus a big bump in the GPU performance. There's no reason to think they'll push 6 cores to the mainstream desktop when they only just put 6+ cores on their enthusiast end. It wouldn't make sense to make the consumer platform have all those cores.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I have a feeling a 6 core/6 thread i5 is upon us

If they release a 6 core i5 i would totally go and buy one and upgrade from my 2600k

Would be hilarious if they kept the SKUs exactly as they are today, and just tacked on a non-overclockable 6/12 core/thread. The rage would boil the internet. 

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

4_678x452.jpg

Yes it looks like it will support past and current AIO water coolers! (I think)

Has there been an Intel platform in the past that couldn't support some coolers that came before it?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Yes it looks like it will support past and current AIO water coolers! (I think)

Has there been an Intel platform in the past that couldn't support some coolers that came before it?

its the same hole layout, since the socket is the same size, just one pin more.

i know 775+ all support the same coolers, before that when they were PGA i do not know