NVIDIA has begun shipping new GTX9xxM cards with a vBIOS that blocks core

TwistedDictator
Well I wanted to confirm this first hand, but now that I have, here You go!

NVIDIA has begun shipping new GTX9xxM cards with a vBIOS that blocks core overclocking!

Looks like OC will soon be a thing from the past regardless of the driver used:

Source

LMAO After everything that is happening right now.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Get ready for the shitstorm.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Well.. We will see..

I think we will see some new videos on the GTX 970..  Again!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Honestly you shouldn't OC laptops, but if people want to ruin their stuff, let them.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Honestly you shouldn't OC laptops, but if people want to ruin their stuff, let them.

What about the people that spend a fortune on huge ass laptops, so they can have flexibility? Fuck them right?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

What about the people that spend a fortune on huge ass laptops, so they can have flexibility? Fuck them right?

Even so those laptops will have a small margin for cooling. If they do spend that much and the manufacturer includes a great cooling system, then they should also include a vBIOS that isn't locked. MGPU's should be locked by default. Anyways you misinterpreted my post. I said let them break it, meaning have it unlocked.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

i think this should be a thing that the laptop manufacturer can control.  For instance, a company like Razer might not want you to overclock the gpu in their blade laptops as cooling is not necessarily optimized for overclocking in the first place due to not having a beefy cooler on it, while a company like Asus wouldn't mind users overclocking the gpu on their giant g series laptops.  That would make a whole lot more sense than an all out hardware block on overclocking. 

They seem determined to snatch Golden Shovel Awards from Ubisoft this year.

No, no one will ever manage to take that shovel away from ubisoft.  Ever.

Why? lol

I don't understand what's in it for them...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Didn't they block overclocks with drivers then re-enable them after the shitstorm that followed? I don't see why they would ship natively clock speed locked cards now.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

No, no one will ever manage to take that shovel away from ubisoft.  Ever.

NVIDIA just did.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

I'm busy but does this mean companies like Asus won't be able to alter the clock speeds of their laptops before release? because thats just silly.

I'm assuming this means only for laptops that aren't made with beefy cooling solutions, right?

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Even so those laptops will have a small margin for cooling. If they do spend that much and the manufacturer includes a great cooling system, then they should also include a vBIOS that isn't locked. MGPU's should be locked by default. Anyways you misinterpreted my post. I said let them break it, meaning have it unlocked.

Yeah I disagree on the "should" part. They need to be unlocked by default, since a non-experienced user probably doesn't know how to overclock anyway. And those chuncky laptops do have quite a bit of cooling headroom (the flexibility I was talking about). It is just a big pain in the ass if every manufacturer has to include a custom bios and the consumer has to be on the lookout if the laptop he wants to buy is unlocked or not. I think this is genuinely just bullshit. Also, what if the the laptop does not have any headroom and it runs hot? The user cannot underclock either, so he's gonna get the finger from NVIDIA... (Had this happen to me, where my 460m was reaching 93C and I had to underclock to prevent shutdowns)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Calm the fuck down people! Fucking bandwagon up in here jeez. Like this actually affects any of you...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Or you could flash the one that allows OC? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

They dont care, they got the stupid customers that throw money at them.

Did you even read the post lol. Its about the Mobile GPUs lol. Read the post before commenting lol

We dont need pointless comments here. Reported spam!

We don't need "pointless comments" but apparently we need comments insulting the millions of people who chose to buy an Nvidia product.

Gr8 logic m8 I r8 -8/8.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

We don't need "pointless comments" but apparently we need comments insulting the millions of people who chose to buy an Nvidia product.

Gr8 logic m8 I r8 -8/8.

Im not talking about the typical user that buys an 780 or a 980. im talking about people that  spends 1K/3K on a crappy card. There are people that throw money at them, for stupid things.

8/8 thxs m8 gr8 nice numb3r pl8t

Slick:

Im not talking about the typical user that buys an 780 or a 980. im talking about people that  spends 1K/3K on a crappy card. There are people that throw money at them, for stupid things.

or maybe just for high-quality-top-of-the-line work benches :P

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Laptops cooling is usually pretty integrated and overlocking mobile GPU's is dumb as shit. Noones forcing people to buy the Nvidia GPU's.

I'm getting tired of that ''Nvidia keeps digging'' nonsense. Its getting annoying.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

GJ on the meme there... Laptops cooling is usually pretty integrated and overlocking mobile GPU's is dumb as shit. Noones forcing people to buy the Nvidia GPU's.

I'm getting tired of that ''Nvidia keeps digging'' nonsense. Its getting annoying.

Please read the post. Then come back and post on what you have found, then Ill explain more :)

Slick:

Please read the post. Then come back and post on what you have found, then Ill explain more :)

Im not talking about your post btw ;) I was refering to all the comments in the thread of people hooting an hollering about Nvidia...

Still don't see what you are trying to prove. Overclocking integrated GPU's does more harm than good, I doubt this effects even 1% of the people on this forum since laptops with those GPU's are crazy expensive.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor