NVIDIA has begun shipping new GTX9xxM cards with a vBIOS that blocks core

TwistedDictator

Very possible, although then why would nvidia bother making two different versions of their vBIOS?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they do it for the laptops that have the cooling solutions like I mentioned, like the Gigabyte/Aorus gaming laptops for example.

Of course, although I doubt the likes of asus would tell people they can safely overclock if the VRMs or stuff like that were at risk.

They would if they were willing to wear the returned goods cost in order to be the supplier of choice for that specific market.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Very possible, although then why would nvidia bother making two different versions of their vBIOS?

Well what is in the bios update. Is it needed for stability reasons or just to stop OCing?

They would if they were willing to wear the returned goods cost in order to be the supplier of choice for that specific market.

Meh, I doubt that. The customers who are looking for something like that are a very tiny niche. Those things may sell in the low thousands, and those who'll buy them are almost all going to push them as far as they can.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Tear

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

What sound is that? Oh i think i hear a drill digging into the ground!

More like pitchforking friend :)

Torch-pitchfork.gif

No good year for nvidia. 

No, no one will ever manage to take that shovel away from ubisoft.  Ever.

they can try tho

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

I thought they reversed that decision...is this a re-reversal?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

not to happy with nvidia after they bricked my linux for the 6th time

Get ready for the shitstorm.

i belive this is what you may have been looking for xD

post-121932-0-51584700-1424732034.jpg

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

u fookin wat m8

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

good

they are not supposed to be overclocked, why let people.

its not going to be the exact same fore every chip, a gtx 970m in a slim laptop will be at a lower speed than somthing that has the cooling to run it well

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

People are probably burning them out and RMA'ing them. :0/

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I don't have a problem with this happening in the mobile GPU space.  I think they're likely doing it because of a ton of warranty issues. (i.e people overclocking their GPU, then when their computer dies they're going after the laptop manufacturer)  

While overclocking does technically void warranty, I doubt there's anyway to tell if these heat beast died from someone accidentally blocking the fan exhaust or from an overclock.  Probably will save manufacturers a shit ton of money.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

how does nvidia prove that overclocking caused the damage?

easy  the laptops gpu will look burnt,

I learned this because apparently a gt 8200m was not meant for 3ds max or fallout 3.

on a more serious note, I understand why nivida would want to prevent over clocking but that really should be up to the OEM, some laptops like the asus G series and the lenovo y50 can handle the increased heat output. 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

If this is true, WTF Nvidia? You saw how angry people were when you stopped OC through a driver. If a user had a laptop with an older "unlocked" gpu, had it overclocked and the laptop broke, say the manufacturer decides to offer a replacement or if the user liked that laptop so much they went and bought another one, how do you think they will feel when they can no longer OC.

It won't matter. AMD barely has any gaming laptop offerings. I didn't even know the m295x existed until I saw the 5K IMac.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

not to happy with nvidia after they bricked my linux for the 6th time

So it's not just me! 3 Debian and 4 Ubuntu on my end.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Didn't they block overclocks with drivers then re-enable them after the shitstorm that followed? I don't see why they would ship natively clock speed locked cards now.

So consumers can have the choice of having a Premium gaming laptop that can be designed with overclocking in mind or a bare minimum gaming laptop with a minimal cooling system.

Seems like Nvidia just doesn't want to admit it. They're disabling overclocking because they have no real way of checking whether you actually OCed once the GPU dies. They could easily say "if you overclock our mobile GPUs then your warranty is void" otherwise. They could just admit that and be done with this whole thing, but I guess some PR people think that that would be worse somehow. Just being a bit more honest and upfront with their actions would go a long way, all of the recent shitstorms could have been avoided.

"This is the memory layout of the 970 and this is how it works, it's still a great card though!" - no 970 shitstorm.

"We fucked up, overclocking should not be enabled on mobile GPUs. Sorry, but this could lead to tons of unnecessary RMAs for laptop manufacturers and ourselves due to inexperienced users" - no shitstorm here either.

They're not unreasonable, the 970 memory partitioning is a good way for them to maximize yields and it's actually a fairly good compromise, people just want to know about it before they purchase it because in their specific usecase they might run into issues. They just need to be more honest and work on their communication, a large part of your customers are not complete idiots, give them the information they deserve and let them make their decisions. It just stinks of pure arrogance at this point that they treat their customers (and reviewers) like this.

Even so those laptops will have a small margin for cooling. If they do spend that much and the manufacturer includes a great cooling system, then they should also include a vBIOS that isn't locked. MGPU's should be locked by default. Anyways you misinterpreted my post. I said let them break it, meaning have it unlocked.

my Asus g751jy-dh71 disagree's with you. I got a 6% stable boost on core and mem.

We don't need "pointless comments" but apparently we need comments insulting the millions of people who chose to buy an Nvidia product.

Gr8 logic m8 I r8 -8/8.

No, but we most definitely need comments labeling anyone who disagree with Nvidia's decisions as "bandwagon hate from idiots." The double standard is real.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I have a problem with the lack of an actual source... a forum post doesn't count.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Why? lol

I don't understand what's in it for them...

they might want the OC to be only on desktops versions..locked and unlocked gpu???