NVIDIA has begun shipping new GTX9xxM cards with a vBIOS that blocks core

TwistedDictator

After doing some looking... I can't seem to find any information about this being true. Nothing on NV's site or anything like that, or on news. So...

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

This sucks for the laptop users. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

"This is the memory layout of the 970 and this is how it works, it's still a great card though!" - no 970 shitstorm.

They did go out and explain the memory layout of the 970. They did it fairly quickly as well (not from the start but they did do it just a few days after the rumors got widely spread). The "Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread" which is over 90 pages at the time of writing this was created after Nvidia went out and told everyone how the memory in the 970 works.

I wouldn't be surprised if we would have gotten a pretty decently sized shitstorm even if Nvidia had said it from day 1. Probably not as big as the one we have right now, but still very big.

No, but we most definitely need comments labeling anyone who disagree with Nvidia's decisions as "bandwagon hate from idiots." The double standard is real.

I haven't seen anyone call someone a "bandwagon hater" or "idiot" for simply disagreeing with Nvidia's decision. In fact, if you read posts from for example me, or Victorious Secret in the other thread (or this one even) you will see that we disagree with Nvidia's decision. It's just that we disagree with the anti-Nvidia extremists as well.

It's okay to disagree with a company but you have to:

1) Do it in moderation. A lot of things on the Internet gets blown way out of proportions. I mean just look at Ubisoft. People are basically searching for new things related to them to be upset over.

2) Don't lie to make them seem worse than they are. An example of this would be in the 970 thread where we have (won't emotion any names) people say that the card really only has 3.5GB of VRAM and you can't use any more than that whatsoever. We also have people with baseless accusations of crippling AMD's performance with GameWorks (with 0 evidence to support their accusations).

I have a problem with the lack of an actual source... a forum post doesn't count.

I don't browse TechInferno but Prema seems like a pretty trustworthy user. You're right though, it's best to wait for more sources before grabbing the pitchforks. We don't know if it's Nvidia that are doing it or if it's the laptop manufacturer doing it either.

I don't browse TechInferno but Prema seems like a pretty trustworthy user. You're right though, it's best to wait for more sources before grabbing the pitchforks. We don't know if it's Nvidia that are doing it or if it's the laptop manufacturer doing it either.

We don't know if ANYONE is doing it. Everyone is pissed for zero reason as of now.

One non-respected source? I don't buy it.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Hasn't this already gone full-circle? The new driver disabled over-clocking. Consumers got pissed. Nvidia allowed people to download and install old firmware that enabled it. End.

They did go out and explain the memory layout of the 970. They did it fairly quickly as well (not from the start but they did do it just a few days after the rumors got widely spread). The "Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread" which is over 90 pages at the time of writing this was created after Nvidia went out and told everyone how the memory in the 970 works.

I wouldn't be surprised if we would have gotten a pretty decently sized shitstorm even if Nvidia had said it from day 1. Probably not as big as the one we have right now, but still very big.

I'm not saying that they should have said so once people found out, they should have said so as soon as the thing got released. Reviewers should have been made aware of it before release even. We had a similar situation with the 660, assymetrical memory layout for a new GPU. The difference was that people were aware of it (if they did their research) and that reviewers talked about it and focused on it.

As I said, it's a totally legitimate way of cutting down a GPU and maximizing yields for Nvidia, people just want to know what exactly they're buying. I disagree entirely, I think there would have been absolutely zero backlash if they openly talked about the "issue" from the very start.

I haven't seen anyone call someone a "bandwagon hater" or "idiot" for simply disagreeing with Nvidia's decision. In fact, if you read posts from for example me, or Victorious Secret in the other thread (or this one even) you will see that we disagree with Nvidia's decision. It's just that we disagree with the anti-Nvidia extremists as well.

It's okay to disagree with a company but you have to:

1) Do it in moderation. A lot of things on the Internet gets blown way out of proportions. I mean just look at Ubisoft. People are basically searching for new things related to them to be upset over.

2) Don't lie to make them seem worse than they are. An example of this would be in the 970 thread where we have (won't emotion any names) people say that the card really only has 3.5GB of VRAM and you can't use any more than that whatsoever.

"Calm the fuck down people! Fucking bandwagon up in here jeez. Like this actually affects any of you..."

It's on the first page until it's removed, where criticism from the community is called "bandwagon" in less than 15 posts. You can choose to ignore the double standard, it still exists.

Nobody (very very few) actually legitimately says that the card cannot access more than 3.5GB, it's a joke - so don't straw man the actual opposition's position.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

This is stupid. For the life of me I don't understand the people defending nvidia here or the ass backward logic they're using to declare that others shouldn't be overclocking their laptops.
Its like people don't understand that the actual value people are able to extract from OC'ing is when the device is at the end of its product life and not off the bat when they first buy it.

That said I'm down with manufacturers locking up the ability to OC CPU/GPU via bios/drivers, so long as they unlock it a year or so after warranties expire. Or allow users to do so, but void the warranty of the entire laptop if done.

:edit: Mobile spelling

Well I have a laptop that cost me 2k and I don't care if I can't OC, it's a laptop...! lol

Maybe the performance does satisfy you for now, but what about later down the road? It's just a good thing to have.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

What's it matter to Nvidia they have no competition in mobile GPU's and well even on desktop they have so many blind fanboys that'll defend any anti consumer practice they engage in and still buy their products and then come here and call others stupid for not being as blindly brand loyal. 

Anyone ever think this could have been done by request of a major laptop manufacturer? Even the effort involved in receiving the laptop back under warranty and finding out it was user inflicted damage then shipping it back wastes money and time it's more then likely someone got sick of it and requested the core clock be locked it's not like there's a bunch of laptops running unlocked intel CPU's and I'd venture a guess there's good reason for it.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

"Calm the fuck down people! Fucking bandwagon up in here jeez. Like this actually affects any of you..."

It's on the first page until it's removed, where criticism from the community is called "bandwagon" in less than 15 posts. You can choose to ignore the double standard, it still exists.

Nobody (very very few) actually legitimately says that the card cannot access more than 3.5GB, it's a joke - so don't straw man the actual opposition's position.

Oops I missed that post. I don't quite see how that's a double standard but yeah I was wrong about nobody shouting bandwagon.

I am not making a strawman because there are people who say the card only has 3.5GB of VRAM. Some are not saying it as a joke either, they want Nvidia to change the packaging to say 3.5GB. I never said you said that, but I said that some anti-Nvidia extremists are lying about things to make them seem worse than they really are.

That's not a strawman in the same way you pointing out that "calm the fuck down people" post on the first page is not a strawman.

Its like people don't understand that the actual value people are able to extract from OC'ing is when the device is the end of its product life and not off the bat when they first buy it.

Really good point here.

And those people who are telling us "Why do you care, not that you own 980M". Well I'm pretty sure there are at least one of your comment at 970 gate threads and you do not own 970. And it's not about "does it affects me". People that are interested in technology ( in this case all in this discussion) do care about 980M locked clocks in a same way as a people interested in politics cares what other country politicians have to say even if it does not affects them.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Maybe the performance does satisfy you for now, but what about later down the road? It's just a good thing to have.

Well I won't be able to, my laptop will overheat. 

Wow, this is moving fast and typically leaves much confusion.

This was already addressed last week–

You can revert to old drivers to re-enable overclocking while waiting for new driver update.

This has to do with the vBios on new cards blocking OC, not dirvers.

Prepare $$$ for "unlocked" GPUs...
On a serious note: But can It be OCed via flashing?

Yeah, the source for the OP is The guy that can/will do it.

Calm the fuck down people! Fucking bandwagon up in here jeez. Like this actually affects any of you...

Actually, it does. A lot. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well I won't be able to, my laptop will overheat. 

Yeah you got a point there.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I'm still waiting for my real source for this information that everyone is so pissed about.

Actually, it does. A lot.

Really tho? Even if desktop graphics weren't overclockable i wouldn't care. So you dont get 10% additional performance in exchange for your laptop melting whats the big deal?

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

The Nvidia defense league is out in force today... my god. I have a laptop with an 880M so thankfully wouldn't be affected by this, but still; Why should Nvidia dictate what it's users do with their laptops? If they overclock it and burn it out then that's the users issue. My laptop has a pretty beefy cooling system so can actually handle a mild overclock without any issues, i'm not going to allow Nvidia to dictate if i overclock or not so i'm staying on the old drivers until they re-enable overclocking.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Why should Nvidia dictate what it's users do with their laptops? If they overclock it and burn it out then that's the users issue.

Because if the laptop dies Nvidia will have to pay, not the customer. It's not the customer's issue if their laptop dies from overclocking, it's the OEM and Nvidia's issue.

Because if the laptop dies Nvidia will have to pay, not the customer. It's not the customer's issue if their laptop dies from overclocking, it's the OEM and Nvidia's issue.

Could just have it as a disclaimer.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Could just have it as a disclaimer.

Disclaimer how? They don't have any way of checking if the GPU died because of overclocking, and where I live it's up to the manufacturer to prove that the damage was done by the customer. If they can't prove it then it is covered by the warranty. If it weren't for the water detectors in my phone I could just drop it into a glass of water and they would have to repair it for free, unless they caught me on tape doing it or something.