Water pipeline can be tapped for electricity

ahhming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDKTXvreGo8

Lucid Energy has developed a renewable energy system that makes use of water moving through pipelines.

waterinorego.jpg

The company's LucidPipe Power System converts pressure in water pipelines into electricity.

A 200kW LucidPipe Power System installed in a Portland Water Bureau water pipeline in Portland, Oregon, came online and began generating renewable energy for Portland General Electric.

LucidPipe simply replaces a stretch of existing gravity-fed conventional pipeline, that's used for transporting potable water.

portlandlucidpipe-3.jpg

The company said on their website that one mile of 42" diameter pipeline could produce as much as 3 megawatts or more of electricity.)

Discussing the process, Ben Coxworth in Gizmag said, "As the water flows through, it spins four 42-inch (107-cm) turbines, each one of which is hooked up to a generator on the outside of the pipe. The presence of the turbines reportedly doesn't slow the water's flow rate significantly, so there's virtually no impact on pipeline efficiency."

source:

http://www.lucidenergy.com/lucid-pipe/

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-oregon-pipeline-electricity.html

I guess they are recycling a little bit of energy from the total of what it takes for them to pump the water up there in the first place.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

in other news, 500,000 hamsters are out of work.

j/k, glad to see some innovation that can utilize existing technology.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Recapturing energy that is lost through pumping water, I'd say that's pretty awesome. What percentage of the initial energy do you think is recaptured? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

lbr still not enough for 295X2 /s

You mean the 395X2

K70 RGB

Recapturing energy that is lost through pumping water, I'd say that's pretty awesome. What percentage of the initial energy do you think is recaptured? 

This isnt recapturing energy. This is complete BS.

It takes energy in the first place to pump the water, all they are doing is reducing water pressure to convert that energy back into electricity.

Since energy is lost during conversion, not only are they losing energy, but they are literally just moving it from one place to another.

If there actually is that much spare energy due to water pressure, they could just reduce the power of the pumps to save more energy than they get back by reducing pressure with these turbines.

Logically this is a waste of time and money to get electricity from one place to another instead of using cables.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As much as I want to be excited for my city... I guess you can call this recycling energy. I guess we will need to see how well it actually works. Less pressure because of a generator in the pipe = more pressure needed at the start (more power used). So.... yeah, that's a concern to me. 

Unfortunately, we will probably never know how much this will actually help, or make it worse. Just, yknow, our tax dollars used for "renewable energy" that may or may not be helpful at all. But hey, "renewable" so, it must be good. All I know is I can count a dozen streets in my area that are not even paved.... just giant mud pits. And We are about a mile from Portland's Airport..so by no means "outskirts". Just question political priorities sometimes. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Hold on... thanks to the law of conservation of energy this cannot possible be a good technology that is more energy efficient.

Basically what will end up happening is that you will just need more energy to pump the water through the pipes since you will need to account for the amount of energy that these things will be taking away from the water flow.

lbr still not enough for 295X2 /s

It's not enough to cool a 295x2 either.

But it's getting close.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Hold on... thanks to the law of conservation of energy this cannot possible be a good technology that is more energy efficient.

Basically what will end up happening is that you will just need more energy to pump the water through the pipes since you will need to account for the amount of energy that these things will be taking away from the water flow.

Is it not remotely possible some of this water could be coming in off a damn or a lake above as well? If water is already being moved there for waste treatment, then using the potential gravitational energy as it comes falling out of the plant is a good thing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

In a perfect flat world with no friction, that would be true. However, due to slopes and whatnot, more pressure is needed to push the water up and then there's too much pressure when it goes back down.

K70 RGB

Is it not remotely possible some of this water could be coming in off a damn or a lake above as well? If water is already being moved there for waste treatment, then using the potential gravitational energy as it comes falling out of the plant is a good thing.

It is, but that would simply lessen the pressure of the water traveling where it needs to go.

In a perfect flat world with no friction, that would be true. However, due to slopes and whatnot, more pressure is needed to push the water up and then there's too much pressure when it goes back down.

Some people might like a good bit of water pressure when they take a shower.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This isnt recapturing energy. This is complete BS.

It takes energy in the first place to pump the water, all they are doing is reducing water pressure to convert that energy back into electricity.

Since energy is lost during conversion, not only are they losing energy, but they are literally just moving it from one place to another.

If there actually is that much spare energy due to water pressure, they could just reduce the power of the pumps to save more energy than they get back by reducing pressure with these turbines.

Logically this is a waste of time and money to get electricity from one place to another instead of using cables.

My thoughts exactly.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

^ gravity-fed, right?e. 

Possibly, but, in our area we use water towers and and water reservoirs to generate appropriate pressure to different areas. And we use pumps to fill those. So, It just depends on where they put them, and if we have excess pressure to loose. 

Where I am from, all the water in the pipes get pushed in by strong industrial electric pumps, that are very power hungry. I imagine, the majority of cities are doing this. There is no net gain with this! As the entropy point is too low (2nd law of thermodynamics), effectively we are both loosing power and applying resistance to the water network.

Some are saying it's another way of transporting energy, however why would it replace a wire? There are extremely few (or even none) scenarios where water pressure can be forced through pipes but there is no way to put a wire in.

Also, people says it salvages the 'excess' pressure on the water delivery system. Everything is designed so water goes equally and even using the path of least resistance, in parts that pressure builds up it allows to unfed piping to get filled. Of course there is lost with this, but it gets better each time the system gets revisited.

It is, but that would simply lessen the pressure of the water traveling where it needs to go.

it could lessen the pressure than what the residents are used to..but im sure the design will still meet per capita requirements..

the potential energy available should be so ginormous for them to think of this, otherwise, it really is just a waste of money/time..how long could've been those pipes have been there before this was thought of??

According to the article the change in pressure is near-negligible, and given the equations of gravitational force, I'm not surprised.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If this actually works by using downhill pipes, then cool. Otherwise, it's dumb.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I guess they are recycling a little bit of energy from the total of what it takes for them to pump the water up there in the first place.

They don't pump the water, gravity moves it through the pipes :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

They don't pump the water, gravity moves it through the pipes :P

In Portland they do. They pump water from our treatment/filtration centers into several Reservoirs and Tanks. So at some point, they do pump :) 

Source: I live in Portland and know where several pumphouses are. 

In Portland they do. They pump water from our treatment/filtration centers into several Reservoirs and Tanks. So at some point, they do pump :)

Source: I live in Portland and know where several pumphouses are. 

yes, im sure pumping water is usual for most areas. the wonders of engineering.lol

hopefully, water through these gravity-fed pipes wont be supplying areas which pump water..

(but if energy created were to be used in pumping those water, then perhaps it has its uses, no?)