Moving to a new place, tips for moving PC please.

Matthew4170

I am moving to a new place. It's some miles away, not too far. I'd like just some tips for moving my PC. I know the two most at-risk parts are the graphics card and the hard drive. Without taking any parts out (I have no where to put the hard drive and I'd rather not have to remove and re-put the graphics card in), what should I do? One of the simplier things is like should I lay the PC on it's side or upright? Any other things I should know should be nice.  And yes I'll make sure my mom drives slow as to not have the car get bumpy and therefore ruin the hard drive.

EDIT: I SAID BESIDES TAKING ANY PARTS OUT! I really don't want to! And rather can't with the CPU heatsink since I threw away the CPU box.

you need to remove the GPU and any CPU heatsinks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you're not flying or going a far way, you should be fine just driving it there probably best to keep it upfront if you're in a van/truck if you're in a car then the backseat should be fine. I guess it really depends on how long you're going and how you're getting there, I mean to be safe reboxing the GPU and CPU Cooler (if air) would be safe.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

You should consider removing the GPU. Open the case, locate it, unplug the connector, unscrew the screw on the back end, release the tab on the PCI-slot, where the GPu connects to the mother board, on the front side, pull firmly but carefully until the GPU is out. Whrapp in some non-conductive material (a plastic bag for freezing for example) and put it in your luggage wrapped between clothes or soft materials. 

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Weeeeell...

I guess from logical POV it'd be enough placing your PC in a VERY stable position at the back panel (the one behind the mobo), so that the GPU won't wiggle too much, and HHD doesn't spin randomly 'cause of the vertical being in the cage... To ensure the GPU stability you can pack in there some foam stuff... IMO it should be enough this way...

Why did I ask for advice if I already knew what I was going to do X_X (just put it with me so I can help keep it stable and be just fine, without removing any danged parts).

I'm going to be moving soon too, and was wondering if I should remove my h100i as well as my gpu's

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

i've had a pc fall over and slide trough the trunk before, if you're more careful than that you should be totally fine. 

i've had a pc fall over and slide trough the trunk before, if you're more careful than that you should be totally fine. 

lol. I find it so funny. But that's rough too, I'm so sorry I find your suffering, or more specifically that happening funny. 

lol. I find it so funny. But that's rough too, I'm so sorry I find your suffering, or more specifically that happening funny. 

at that point the pc was 18 years old, it is now 20 years old and still fully functional. i'm just happy the early pentiums didnt use massive heatsinks :P

I brought my system over to my friend's house, and I just carried the whole tower, put it in the back of the van, and went. Nothing broke.....  :mellow:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: ASUS Strix Radeon R7 5700 XT OC Edition Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 CL14 SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72 Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X Mirror Black Display: BenQ XL2420Z  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Audio: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum

I brought my system over to my friend's house, and I just carried the whole tower, put it in the back of the van, and went. Nothing broke.....  :mellow:

This. So long as you're driving there just don't be a maniac and take the nicer roads just in case. Sit it in a seat and put a seatbelt on it. I'd put mine with the back of the motherboard facing the floor, but that's just me.

This. So long as you're driving there just don't be a maniac and take the nicer roads just in case. Sit it in a seat and put a seatbelt on it. I'd put mine with the back of the motherboard facing the floor, but that's just me.

^^^Pretty much this. I'd also reccommend taking out the video card.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

I drove about 10-15 miles with a build in my trunk last year and everything turned out okay. Lay the case box flat so the gpu is basically standing up. I drove on a highway, so there were no bumps along the way. Don't make sharp turns and you will be fine.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Unless you are driving up a logging road in the middle of winter with 3 tires, you'll be fine.

Get a big ass suitcase, cuddle up your PC with your bed blanket or some cozy shit, put it in the suitcase, put the suitcase in a fairly non batshit insane position on your horse carriage or whatever.

It may be a bit ghetto, but some friends of mine transported a big ass TV in a cardboard box with blankets and it worked fine..

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

You remove the cables, but a blanket over it and but it in the back seat. 

Done.

PC components are not breaking because you move them a bit. And if you lie it down the GPU won't get any problems too. And even if you just throw it in your car, everything should be mounted quite solid. At least in my PC I don't have to worry about that.

When I go back down home every ~5 weeks, about 300 mile drive ~5 hours with a Phantom 820(Huge Case). Never really took apartment my comp and everything seemed fine, if you need too disassmble, use a cardboard box stuff with packaging peanuts or bubble wrap should be alright.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7 RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom.CPU: i5 6600k w/ H100i

PSU: Corsair RM 850GPU:  GTX 980 Ti Case: NZXT 820 Full Tower