Who enjoyed Luke's motherboard videos?

In his latest motherboard video roundup he states not very many people were intrested and he probably won't be making another set of videos.

Honestly I thought they were great, if I were looking to upgrade these videos would help a lot especially showing off the BIOS of each board.

I bet more people would enjoy them if there weren't in parts. That would be my only complaint

I would really like to see more motherboard videos like that for future boards.

@Slick

blackshades on

If it was all one 15~ minute video, then I think it would've been good. But four parts stretched out over a long period just doesn't work for something as simple and as basic as a motherboard comparison -- he didn't do any overclocking, so why would it take four videos to discuss four boards in terms of BIOS, layout, etc... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I didn't like the videos for the amount of videos and time; there was still a lack of in depth information. I still think that these multi part videos are just to obtain more ad revenue, especially since Linus is so butthurt about the whole room water cooling and has been talking down to the audience these past 2 months.. 

Other than the cat vomit on the top of my PC case.

eeewwwww, I mean I clean that stuff off the floor but I think if I had to clean it out from a radiator I would be in tears. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I'm not butthurt about anything. Other than the cat vomit on the top of my PC case.

How high are you this time?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

I didn't like the videos for the amount of videos and time; there was still a lack of in depth information. I still think that these multi part videos are just to obtain more ad revenue, especially since Linus is so butthurt about the whole room water cooling and has been talking down to the audience these past 2 months.. 

And thats honestly okay. LMG is a company, their goal is to make money. The issue is that this series did not need to be a series. 

The amount of content in all four videos could easily have been put into a single 10 minute video. And considering how many boards there are on the market, imo this video should be aimed at a general rule not specifics -- i.e. don't compare specific boards for the sake of comparing those specific boards, compare boards for the sake of showing the differences and showing people what they should look for. 

Video 1: 

Look for # of ports, SLI/XFIRE support, general quality (push pins vs. screws, wing vs. tab gpu slots), length of warranty. 

Video 2: 

PCIE layout, fan headers, angled/non-angled USB 3.0, front panel switch labeling. 

Video 3: 

Flash drive issues, bios chips (dual/removable/soldered), UEFI layout/fan control/features. 

Video 4: 

One-touch overclock, driver download speed (in one location), recap. 

And here's how the video should've been structured: 

Video 1 and only 1:

Things you should look for when buying a motherboard is the number of ports (USB 2.0/3.0, sata6, etc...), whether or not the motherboard supports SLI/XFIRE (and if that matters to you), the number of fan headers, whether or not you need front USB 3.0 ports (albeit this wouldn't be an issue for Z97 boards), general board layout/appearance/quality, UEFI layout/features.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

And it would be nice to see a definitive "winner", although I know they would have to do more than just a overview (need to do a more in depth review) before actually recommending one. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I agree it probably should have been 1 long video.

Something like the "whole room watercooling" project is good being in a 6 or 7 part series because there's so much to show.

EDIT: OP should add a 'meh' option to the poll, I can't say I disliked it, but I wouldn't say i thoroughly enjoyed it either.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I thought the videos were a good idea, but it was just too long and spread out over such a long time. I think it could have been cut down into one 15 minute video. Luke did a good job and it was a well thought out series but just was a bit too long.

I'm not butthurt about anything. Other than the cat vomit on the top of my PC case.

I feel pretty bad for you, I would be really sad and butthurt if my loop was creating new creatures.

blackshades on

I do agree the series might have been better if compiled into one (or perhaps two ~20 minute videos) or at least have been contiguous. The videos are quite scattered and I think that negatively effects the experience (from a viewer stand-point) a viewer takes away from watching them.

That said, I did enjoy watching them.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I'm pleased that content output can include realistic advice like this. I watched and enjoyed the videos. I probably enjoyed them because it is the conclusion I came to many moons ago; you do not need to spend high end money to get performance which you can enjoy.

A lot of people who will be using Youtube are the youngsters who are yet to leave school and thus, will not have much money. High end hardware is great, but it is an important message in life to live to your means and not constantly fight an up hill struggle with things which just aren't possible, or instead, run up huge amounts of debt.

I felt the series was fine, multipart series don't really bother me; though the long gaps made it bad if you were referring to it for advice for your own first build. I completely understand why the viewing public do not like multipart series, though. If it is an in progress build, then yes. Review of components? I don't see what it can possibly gain you in terms of expectations - it's not exactly a cliff hanger you're going to get anxious to see the next part of.

I like Luke. I also like the reviews he made. I think he should do more vids CES next time :D or in general, also other LTT guys :)

They should stop with that part stuff. I hate it that they split  things up in parts if not necessary. 

I really like the 4 mobo's comparison, just do it with fewer parts and everyone is happy. I prefer a longer video with full comparison thats later uploaded than a lot parts over days.

I'm still okay with it if the video gets really too long to part it up. But I prefer to avoid it.

Fewer parts, longer videos. 

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

I just don't like his tongue smacking...

Ahhh! Why did you have to point that out?! Cannot be unheard... thanks a lot! :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I didn't enjoy the series of motherboard videos, but it has NOTHING to do with Luke. I think Luke is the man but 4 videos on budget motherboards is too much in my opinion. Honestly, that last 6 minute conclusion video would have been enough for me. If I want to see specifically how a motherboard works, I would have just searched for a video about THAT motherboard.

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Please don't tell anybody but I personally prefer Luke in front of the camera over Linus. 

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Brandon's video was cool too.

It's great to see another guy do videos and see them talking about stuff they know a lot about.

too many parts though

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I really enjoyed the series, I think it's one of those basic things that people could do with knowing more about. Don't me wrong I love the crazy planet melting hardware videos as much as the next guy, but I think it's good to have things on the channel that appeal to the "every man" when it comes to PC hardware. 

I would have preferred each part one after the other though. 

I've always enjoyed Luke's videos, especially the G402 review and some of the case reviews. They always are informative and fun to watch. Though, this time I didn't really enjoy them, mainly because of the four part series. 

Please, please no more teasing in the beginning of videos. I beg of you. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"