Whole Room Water Cooling Part 5a

Linus has given up on hiring new employees and has started to grow them instead  :D

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

I'm not sure if they are making these videos early in a 5 day period then holding them off or making them one every week or something...

Also at 10:50 in the video Linus said that they are gonna be using the temporary solution for the stuff in the tubes because they are moving in two months...

They spent a TON of money just to take it all down eventually and move place... Dang that sucks...

when you refill it, wouldn't it be a good idea to use automotive coolant instead of automotive antifreeze?

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Since that's an organic thing, you should try cleaning the reservoir and probably also the loop using hydrogen peroxide. It should clean everything. Afterwards i suggest cleaning it very well even though i don't think it will be corrosive.

Oh, van Berkel, that troll there...

"automotive coolant instead of automotive antifreeze"

Ummm those are the same thing, the mix ratio is more the concern I would think, as well using normal tap water instead of distilled or deionized water.  The steel hydraulic reservoir should not be to bad with a high anti freeze mix, but rust and corrosion can always occur with mild steel.  If they want I can offer to make a custom stainless steel reservoir for them as I am local.

doesn't copper piping oxidize over time too?

Edit: this is on a side not to their current problem.

Edit: could this have an effect on on their biocide choices?

Take a bunch of computers and link them together in a water loop system

run them for a few months and then  . .

create new species that can survive in antifreeze

#PCMasterRace

on a more serious note

@LinusTech

were you using Ethylene Glycol or Propylene Glycol?

also what percentage / ratio were you mixing at?

from wikipedia

Under Ethylene Gylcol

Ethylene Gylcol is a posion and can be "deliberate[ly] use[d] as a murder weapon."

although doesn't talk about its ability or inability to kill biological organisms (algae)

while

under Propylene glycol

"biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts to grow, the corrosion rate of the system increases. Maintenance of systems using glycol solution includes regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color, and biological contamination. Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns a reddish color.

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne

"Maybe some of the the viewers will have some insight. They all appear to be experts on this kind of project anyway."

I died, lololoooll

Such a cheeky little grin to go with it.  Loved it.

Yet, look at the youtube comments and it seems to have completely gone over their heads... 

I also love the myriad of comments telling us how long they have waited for this... strangely, it's about the same time as the rest of us...  it's funny how time works!

Hey,

Linus and crew!

I have a couple things I'd like to say, I know you just called us know it alls about this project and I'll forgive that. Joke as you want but you have a large community and that has to potential to contain info that maybe helpfull to you.  I think I might be able to add some insight to the problems you seem to be having. I like this project and I like the fact that you guys have the balls to try it at all. Spurn our insite how ever you like, I'll enjoy it just as much if you fail or succed.

1. The res you bought was meant for a fuel cell (for a car) and May not have any coating on the inside. This is bad as it's the only place where you're introducing steel to water and the whole loop. Not good, Find somthing plastic. I would suggest maybe a plastic garbage can of some sort, see if you can get one thats made of ABS. They work well with hydroponic work.

2. The water you used is from the tap and is not recommended for mixing with anifreeze, as it contains minerals and chlorine. You should try and remove as much of that as you can, letting it airrate with a fish tank air pump over night will work(for one tub, grabage cans are cheap)  Or you could use a dechlorinator on the water. Try both :P

3. As someone has said above while I'm busy typeing more reasurch into the antifrezze being used is needed.

4. Time for a UV filter for the water and maybe a inline solids filter to remove any left over solids for the short term. Biocide would be smart too to kill anything stuck inside the loop.

Thats all I can think of right now,

Could that stuff in the loop be the plasticizer from the soft tubing that Jay is always talking about?

ohh dear.

my suggestion is to get someone in who knows what he/she is doing.

a general inspection of all the joints looks to be in order.

other obvious  things will be picked up too.

if the joints are good the system can be flushed out under mains pressure.

then the system can be treated with various appropriate chemicals such as products by fernox for example.

i do not work for fernox. kamco is another similar company. there are many others.

you seem just to keep digging that hole :|

but probably not worth it now.

just put it down to experience & do it right next time.

Live and learn. The 2.0 whole room water cooling will be better, hopefully free from any contamination.

O boy I can't wait for 5.B.2 part 1 of 3  !

No but seriously, great video showing some behind the scenes stuff, I enjoyed it :)

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

I really must congratulate you on your ability to keep your cool I would be crying over it  and screaming "Why wont it work". At it I hope it all works and when you move you will understand more to what you are doing!  

00:29 well i have same thing happen with headphones and such. Best solution i have found is heatshrink to start of the cable ( so that heatshrink is on top of the cable and on top of the reinforcement ) . Cable will be stiffer but it wont break so easily. Another option is spiral cable, find mic with spiral cable or whatever the device is.

Well done LTT team, I know it didn't work perfectly this time, but unlike the things people who watch your channel screw up on, PC wise that is, there are no tutorial videos or guides or easy ways to go about a project like this. You're trying something that's both new and ambitious, some things were going to go wrong. I'm sure you'll nail it next time.

doesn't copper piping oxidize over time too?

Only on the outside, where it's exposed to oxygen rich air. On the inside, all the copper is in contact with is water and ethylene glycol; as a large, organic diol, ethylene glycol is exceptionally stable. Whilst the non-distilled water will contain various ions, copper metal is fairly stable as a transition metal, so such ions will likely react with each other before the copper.

Could that stuff in the loop be the plasticizer from the soft tubing that Jay is always talking about?

Nah, plasticiser just sort of clouds tubing and takes at least 6 months to leach from high quality tubing in any particularly noticeable way. Given the shear volume of Linissius computum (I named the organism), it would have to have grown, given the parts were all pretty clean only a few months ago.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Why use bacteria, that is dumb. If you're gonna go that route at least put some luminescent fish in the loop or something. 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

My guess on stuff that was in the system is that its bacterial, i think i have seen it in house plumbings. Why is it there, i can only make guesses on everything but introduction of fresh water/tap water ? into the system could be one or that at some part of building process some dirt or any stuff in general did get into either pipes or to reservoir. I am just making a guesses based on what i know.

What is worse than sad Linus ? 

a sadder Linus

So sad, RIP Whole Room Water Cooling

I suspect some one has been blowing their load into the loop.........

all kidding aside its for sure bacteria / algae

dump the steel res and go for a plastic based water container used for like holding drinking water or go for small acryllic aquarium
I say forgo going any additives and go for kill coils trapped in the intake. keep a soft mesh filter like the kinds used on aquariums on the return and the pump intake.

Also in your acryllic res look into installing a bubble trap.
Bubble+Trap.jpg
will instantly stop any bubble returning to the pump

you could also just buy a pre made Aquarium sump as it will include most of the things you will need and a few things you will need to trap the solids.

Berlin-Sump-BS-1-23-inch-x-12-inch-x-14-

They are listed as pre made sumps

http://aquariumsupplies.marinedepot.com/search?p=Q&srid=S3-USCDR01&lbc=marinedepot&ts=custom&w=sump&uid=543874853&stateid=s3C13C23C2DYGMDC0y&method=and&isort=score&view=grid&srt=0

as you trap solids you will need to clean out the filter often as your anti bio agent will continuously cause the solids to break up.

you should also perform 20-50% waterchanges daily to remove any diluted dead contaminates.

you might want to look into investing in a RO/DI water filter as its leaps and bounds better to use over tap water.

Others have also mentioned the use of a UV sterilizer
Coralife-Turbo-Twist-3X-UV-Sterilizer-9-

Although I'm not sure it will be as cost effective as putting a large amount of kill coils in the pump intake

I posted this in the youtube comments, but a better chance of it being read here I suppose. I have a fair bit of experience with the Countryman microphones so a tip for the cable is to 'fold' it down then 'fold' it back up so the cable is pointing up and away from the transmitter then tape the little bundle of cable to the plastic connector. This will change the stress point of the cable to a part that can handle it a little better. I've seen people grab the cable of the mic and lift a lectrosonics tx pack up with it and have still gotten a fair amount of use out of it. 

This taping trick was done to over 16 Countryman's we used on my last job, using them 24/7 for 12 weeks and we only lost a couple to the wear and tear.

HOLY FUCK THATS NASTY

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.