Whole Room Water Cooling Part 5a

I've been waiting a long time to see the next part.

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Part 5a... Whats next 5b?  :D

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Regarding the very beginning of the video, you do actually have some solutions. 

You can honestly make your own cable for your wireless...assuming that your previous one is dead as stated

Buy a new connector

http://www.redco.com/Redco-SM-LK.html

Make sure when you solder you put the correct parts on the tip and the ring.

reinforce with some solid heat shrink and techflex.

http://www.redco.com/Techflex-PTN0.13.html

I do this for a lot of people that have the same issue you seem to be having and it works wonders. Plus you can cut the wire for you lav to the exact distance you would use it for you body.

Why is it that whenever the guys start picking up tools and doing stuff, a part of me says "NO! YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

I honestly feel like my friend from high school and I, given a similar budget, could have pulled this off with much less headache. Then again, bleeding that thing must be a pain in the ass.

Still I say they should have gone with PVC.

And Linus, that stuff inside the tank is probably manufacturing grease. The reason it looks so nasty is because of what happens when anti-freeze and oil mix, which with certain blends of anti-freeze, create's a wax like substance. Although as far as I was aware a few years ago, this only happens with the pink anti-freeze and not the green.

My suggestion for an alternate reservoir.

A 3 or 4 foot section of 4in. diameter PVC tubing, with an end cap and fitting on the bottom. A T connector on top. The T connector needs to be on it's side so that you can have the return line from the system coming in from the side, and a removable end cap on the very top of the reservoir for filling and bleeding.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

that episode kicks the drama to a whole new level...

VAwQAYp.jpg

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

I think the main lesson in this video was that using tap water was a bad plan. They were inevitably going to get growth in that loop, especially after having left it stagnant for 4 months.

Hopefully all this will mean they do a better job at the new place lol

I think the main lesson in this video was that using tap water was a bad plan. They were inevitably going to get growth in that loop, especially after having left it stagnant for 4 months.

Hopefully all this will mean they do a better job at the new place lol

Yeah, that's been a nagging thought for me. Usually, when filling a custom loop, one should buy purified (i.e. bottled) water. When I first heard about this, I assumed they'd go get a bunch of the big water cooler water tanks from a store.

Another thought: Buy Isopropyl alcohol in bulk, run the system off that? Or maybe even fluorinert? Although the latter option would be hella expensive...

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

<<<expert here...jk...

What kind of antifreeze are you using?

From Wikipedia:

Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze". It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes where incidental ingestion may be possible. As confirmation of its relative non-toxicity, the FDA allows propylene glycol to be added to a large number of processed foods, including ice cream, frozen custard, salad dressings and baked goods.

Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat, forming lactic acid.[8][9] If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive,[citation needed] so pH buffering agents such as dipotassium phosphate, Protodin and potassium bicarbonate are often added to propylene glycol, to prevent acidic corrosion of metal components. Pre-inhibited propylene glycol solutions like Dowfrost (manufactured by Dow Chemicals, US) and Tonofrost (manufactured by Chemtex Speciality Ltd, India) can also be used instead of pure propylene glycol to prevent corrosion.

Besides cooling system corrosion, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts to grow, the corrosion rate of the system increases. Maintenance of systems using glycol solution includes regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color, and biological contamination. Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns a reddish color.

I see someone beat me to this information on page 2.

I find it hilarious that Linus uses his phone for a flashlight and keys instead of a knife. Phones certainly *work* as a flashlight, but I find an actual flashlight superior in many ways. (doesn't kill your phone, waterproof, easy to turn on/off, adjustable brightness, has a beam instead of a wide wash)

And for keys... how many boxes do you open every day? Wouldn't it be faster to just get a knife?

I find it hilariuos that Linus uses his phone for a flashlight and keys instead of a knife. Phones certainly *work* as a flashlight, but I find an actual flashlight superior in many ways. (doesn't kill your phone, waterproof, easy to turn on/off, adjustable brightness, has a beam instead of a wide wash)

And for keys... how many boxes do you open every day? Wouldn't it be faster to just get a knife?

Just let your pinky nail grow and sharpen it.  :huh:

I find it hilarious that Linus uses his phone for a flashlight and keys instead of a knife. Phones certainly *work* as a flashlight, but I find an actual flashlight superior in many ways. (doesn't kill your phone, waterproof, easy to turn on/off, adjustable brightness, has a beam instead of a wide wash)

That means extra crap to carry with you all the time for the occasion where a phones flash/keys are more than likely sufficient. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

wow, linus grew something. all joking aside, that really sucks.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

That stuff is bacteria, try making(cheaper)/buying(less effort) chlorine gas then dissolving it in the fluid.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Also, a custom reservoir made from stainless steel and tig welded won't have any manufacturing contamination, such as one made from aluminum or carbon steel, that has possibly been mig welded together.

Tubing is porous and it doesn't have the same insulation that automotive hoses have. 

Wow, what a project this has become. Sucks to be you guys, but it makes for great viewing :)

I did think anti-freeze lacked a biocide when it was mentioned, but figured I was wrong as you'd have checked..... Clearly, that was one of those things that obviously should have been checked... in hindsight but easily missed during initial investigation (they usually happen).

LOL @ the diss to some commentors. That seems to be happening a bit of late, makes me chuckle.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

<<<expert here...jk...

What kind of antifreeze are you using?

From Wikipedia:

Propylene glycol, on the other hand, is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol and may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze". It is used as antifreeze where ethylene glycol would be inappropriate, such as in food-processing systems or in water pipes in homes where incidental ingestion may be possible. As confirmation of its relative non-toxicity, the FDA allows propylene glycol to be added to a large number of processed foods, including ice cream, frozen custard, salad dressings and baked goods.

Propylene glycol oxidizes when exposed to air and heat, forming lactic acid.[8][9] If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive,[citation needed] so pH buffering agents such as dipotassium phosphate, Protodin and potassium bicarbonate are often added to propylene glycol, to prevent acidic corrosion of metal components. Pre-inhibited propylene glycol solutions like Dowfrost (manufactured by Dow Chemicals, US) and Tonofrost (manufactured by Chemtex Speciality Ltd, India) can also be used instead of pure propylene glycol to prevent corrosion.

Besides cooling system corrosion, biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts to grow, the corrosion rate of the system increases. Maintenance of systems using glycol solution includes regular monitoring of freeze protection, pH, specific gravity, inhibitor level, color, and biological contamination. Propylene glycol should be replaced when it turns a reddish color.

I see someone beat me to this information on page 2.

Don't forget that certain types of Anti-freeze, when mixed with oils, and heated, basically turns into a waxy substance.

As said by T3397 on YouTube, this is a bacterial infection. It happens.

It is incredibly easy to clean out to, since you already have the piping and pumps set up.

Look into a product called National Chemicals Beer Line Cleaner. It is used in the brewing community to clean out lines and kegs of caked on deposits, bacterial and yeast films, etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/National-Chemical-Cleaner-Kegerators-Bottle/dp/B0038NKDRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423072804&sr=8-1&keywords=beer+alkaline+cleaner

It will remove EVERYTHING from the lines, pumps, and reservoirs.

You will have to do a few steps to ensure it works properly.

-Empty the system
-Flush with fresh water for a few hours (since the system is so expansive) making sure to clear air out of the lines.
-Empty again
-Fill with a solution of the cleaner and run it through as directed, (long soaks to be positive of cleanliness should be OK) (again, removing air)
-Empty again
-Flush again (removing air again.....)
-Finally, fill with your desired coolant

Also, if you want a contaminant free system, and want to use bleach, you CANNOT use a steel container, or fittings, as the bleach WILL corrode steel.

Good luck.

As said by T3397 on YouTube, this is a bacterial infection. It happens.

It is incredibly easy to clean out to, since you already have the piping and pumps set up.

Look into a product called National Chemicals Beer Line Cleaner. It is used in the brewing community to clean out lines and kegs of caked on deposits, bacterial and yeast films, etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/National-Chemical-Cleaner-Kegerators-Bottle/dp/B0038NKDRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423072804&sr=8-1&keywords=beer+alkaline+cleaner

It will remove EVERYTHING from the lines, pumps, and reservoirs.

You will have to do a few steps to ensure it works properly.

-Empty the system

-Flush with fresh water for a few hours (since the system is so expansive) making sure to clear air out of the lines.

-Empty again

-Fill with a solution of the cleaner and run it through as directed, (long soaks to be positive of cleanliness should be OK)

-Empty again

-Flush again

-Finally, fill with your desired coolant

Also, if you want a contaminant free system, and want to use bleach, you CANNOT use a steel container, or fittings, as the bleach WILL corrode steel.

Good luck.

Should he not use a degreaser to remove the assembly lube/grease from the steel reservoir?

Should he not use a degreaser to remove the assembly lube/grease from the steel reservoir?

The alkaline solution will remove any grease, oil, or whatever in the system.

And they will have to completely fill the reservoir with the solution and allow to soak, then flush thoroughly.