Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

So you bought your 970 based on the number of rops it had?

Dont start , its false advertisement.

False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising, and misrepresentation of the product at hand, which may negatively affect many stakeholders, especially consumers. As advertising has the potential to persuade people into commercial transactions that they might otherwise avoid, many governments around the world use regulations to control false, deceptive or misleading advertising. "Truth" refers to essentially the same concept, that customers have the right to know what they are buying, and that all necessary information should be on the label.

False advertising, in the most blatant of contexts, is illegal in most countries. However, advertisers still find ways to deceive consumers in ways that are legal, or technically illegal but unenforceable.

He clearly doesn't have a 970.......

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Does it matter?  If the box says it is supposed to have certain things and does not it is false advertising.  Why would you want someone to get screwed over and not get a refund if they want one over this?  Why would you want a company to get away with false advertising?  I seriously don't understand the thinking of many people out there.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

No, it's like mark twain says;

never-argue-with-stupid-people-mark-twai

AD Hominem calling us stupid.

Nice discussion man do you want to use more logical fallacies?

What about you back up your shit with proof maybe? Maybe like i did for example.

Dunno.

Dont start , its false advertisement.

Yes, it's false advertisement. But does it change the card performance? Does it change the benchmarks that convinced you to buy the card?

Yes it's wrong what nvidia did, but this has all blown way out of proportion.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yes, it's false advertisement. But does it change the card performance? Does it change the benchmarks that convinced you to buy the card?

All i want is that nvidia does right by their costumers that they scammed.

Dont you want that?

Does it matter? If the box says it is supposed to have certain things and does not it is false advertising. Why would you want someone to get screwed over and not get a refund if they want one over this? Why would you want a company to get away with false advertising? I seriously don't understand the thinking of many people out there.

The issue with false advertisements, aside from being unethical, is that it might change someone's decision. Most of the people in this thread based their decision on the performance shown in benchmarks, not the number of rops.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

There is one case that affects the performance.

If you game at 4k.

Let me read a report from a user on LTT.

After getting past 3.2-3.5gb of vram my game performance becomes unplayable and at times it crashes. This was tested in many games at 4K. I used SLI and both single cards. 

Not trolling, but can I ask what you consider a proportional response from Nvidia should be?

AD Hominem calling us stupid.

Nice discussion man do you want to use more logical fallacies?

What about you back up your shit with proof maybe? Maybe like i did for example.

To retort; https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy

There is nothing to prove because there is no argument. Nvidia failed with marketing, but they did not scam anyone in the broad sense.

Scamming implies they did them wrong by overhyping or overselling a product which turned out to be less than advertised. Which it isn't because the GTX970 is just as fast in benchmarks as it was the last week. Which means for 350, people got a good deal. Yes, the details are different, but it's not a fucking scam.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't scrutinize Nvidia for this. But what you're doing is narcisistic over-entitled whining. You're making this thing way worse than it is.

Any intelligent discussion on this gets flakked by morons who act as if nvidia just committed genocide and ask for nvidia to crawl in the dust for them.

The issue with false advertisements, aside from being unethical, is that it might change someone's decision. Most of the people in this thread based their decision on the performance shown in benchmarks, not the number of rops.

I would have bought a 290x knowing what I do now. The 290x and GTX 970 bench so closely that having 0.5GB of slower VRAM on the 970 absolutely would have tipped me over to AMD.

People who back Nvidia here probably also think the New England Patriots did nothing wrong.  LOL!  Here is another petition to sign if you are tired of New England cheating.  Send a message to the NFL.  40000 sigs strong already ... 

https://www.change.org/p/nfl-immediately-disqualify-patriots-and-replay-afc-championship-between-the-colts-and-ravens

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

To retort; https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy

There is nothing to prove because there is no argument. Nvidia failed with marketing, but they did not scam anyone in the broad sense.

Scamming implies they did them wrong by overhyping or overselling a product which turned out to be less than advertised. Which it isn't because the GTX970 is just as fast in benchmarks as it was the last week. Which means for 350, people got a good deal. Yes, the details are different, but it's not a fucking scam.

I'm also not saying we shouldn't scrutinize Nvidia for this. But what you're doing is narcisistic over-entitled whining.

They scammed people thought their incompetence then , they were incompetent and fooled everyone.

People who back Nvidia here probably also think the New England Patriots did nothing wrong.  LOL!  Here is another petition to sign if you are tired of New England cheating.  Send a message to the NFL.  40000 sigs strong already ... 

https://www.change.org/p/nfl-immediately-disqualify-patriots-and-replay-afc-championship-between-the-colts-and-ravens

What the fuck does that have to do with the issue at hand? Stay on topic or leave, I'm sure you have better ways to spend your unemployment than making useless contributions to this forum. 

@zappian

Signed it. Very happy there is some consumer movement against this kind of corporate fooling.

Link to the petition for visibility: https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-refund-for-gtx-970

For Canadians, I would suggest both signing the petition and filing a complaint to Advertising Standards Canada:

http://adstandards.com/en/ConsumerComplaints/howToSubmitAComplaint.aspx

I'm helping my friend file a complaint since I built his gaming rig for him.

Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I don't see this as a big deal, at least not as big as what its being portrayed as in this thread. I believe what Nvidia did is wrong, but I don't believe it was intentional. It sounds like it was the result of internal miscommunication and poor oversight.

If there is proof of intentional deceit then I would walk away from Nvidia products for the foreseeable future.

@zappian

Signed it. Very happy there is some consumer movement against this kind of corporate fooling.

For Canadians, I would suggest both signing the petition and filing a complaint to Advertising Standards Canada:

http://adstandards.com/en/ConsumerComplaints/howToSubmitAComplaint.aspx

I'm helping my friend file a complaint since I built his gaming rig for him.

Im very happy people like yourself with common sense exist.

Tired of these other nvidia apologists.

So much childish anger in this forum over this. 

The 970 benches the same way it did 2 months ago. Nothing changed. ITs the same card. What changed is the ROP count, which 99% of this forum didn't even understand till they started to get all SJW about it and "angry" over being "cheated". 

Internet mob mentalities, gotta love them eh?

Just because people aren't grabbing their pitchforks (or quite frankly give a shit about this at all) doesn't make them apologists. It takes a real 12 year old to have that kind of black and white view on the world and on people's stances. 

You say common sense, I don't think you know what that word means. Now go ahead and circle jerk with the other half dozen people in this thread who keep purporting this like Nvidia just threw your babies over a cliff. Have some bloody perspective on the issue and calm down. 

Just because people aren't grabbing their pitchforks (or quite frankly give a shit about this at all) doesn't make them apologists. It takes a real 12 year old to have that kind of black and white view on the world and on people's stances. 

You say common sense, I don't think you know what that word means. Now go ahead and circle jerk with the other half dozen people in this thread who keep purporting this like Nvidia just threw your babies over a cliff. Have some bloody perspective on the issue and calm down. 

I will calm down when nvidia does right by their costumers , until  then no cigar.

People posting commentary on 970 performance are completely missing the point. The company lied. Who cares which department did? Do we need an employee name? The whole company can be blamed for this failure. It has nothing to do with the card itself, it all has to do with the lies they told everyone about the card. They sold something on false facts and corrected themselves only after consumers found the flaw.

Nvidia needs a consumer protection group to get up in their face.

Most people are not apologists from what i have read. You are just very passionate about the subject. Maybe you can lead the charge and start a class action lawsuit for us? After you save the PC enthusiast community from the diabolical Nvidia company, someone could write a book about you or make a motion picture? It could go into detail about your life and how you were born for this moment!! ZAPPIAN the truth seeker!! Then you could run for office and change the world maybe.....

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

You mean happy with people who agree with you and don't cause a metric fuckton of cognitive dissonance. It's actually muppets like you who screw everything over by taking something and blowing it way out of proportion to force managers or CEO's into decisions that are completely unnccessary, or not proportional to the original wrong-doing, because of your narcisistic over-entitlement. You don't care about nuance, details or specifics, you just want to go on some white-knight moral crusade like all the other tumblrettes who agree with you.

You just whine and whine and make petitions until someone finally folds. But you're not smart enough to see something in advance and keep getting cheated. You people are also the reasons these types of movements eventually die. Because you destroy the original idea or sentiment and turn the movement into something most sane people will start to despise and distance themselves from. It's exactly what happened in occupy wallstreet, and it's exactly what happens with every damn thing that hits the news that is mildly annoying.

I bought a 970 and also think it sucks what they did. But I still think i got a good deal out of it because I didnt expect it to rock 4K, just 1080p. Just a shame it fucking died a day later. But I also firmly believe this will teach reviewers a lesson to not take some companies word for it and do their own research better next time.

You mean happy with people who agree with you and don't cause a metric fuckton of cognitive dissonance. It's actually muppets like you who screw everything over by taking something and blowing it way out of proportion to force managers or CEO's into decisions that are completely unnccessary because of your narcisistic over-entitlement. You don't care about nuance, details or specifics, you just want to go on some white-knight moral crusade like all the other tumblrettes who agree with you.

You just fucking whine and whine and make petitions until someone finally folds. But you're not smart enough to see something in advance and keep getting cheated. I bought a 970 and also think it sucks what they did. But I still think i got a good deal out of it because I didnt expect it to rock 4K, just 1080p. Just a shame it fucking died a day later. But I also firmly believe this will teach reviewers a lesson to not take some companies word for it and do their own research better next time.

I find it funny how you shift the blame to me when NVIDIA did all the wrong doings.

I will be happy when they do right by their consumers like i said.

Now im an asshole because i speak against shit business practices.

I think you should be the spokesperson for EA , you are great at defending organizations that fuck up constantly.

http://www.ea.com/locations

Here are the locations of the EA offices if you are looking for a job as PR manager for scumbags.