Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

just check benchmarks... 4K is too much for the 970s now. and check crysis3 for the future :)

I'm not so sure about that. 2-way SLI at 4K performs pretty well. As you said though, 4GB of VRAM still isn't used.

bf4_3840_2160.gif

ac4_3840_2160.gif

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

I would put it this way: people are upset because we know now and not back then.

but what does that change? youve known the benchmarks, and as a consumer its all you need. You dont care if you achieve those benchmarks with 1 cuda core and 1kb of ram, or 4098 cuda cores and 8GB of HBM, it still performs the same. 

you all started suddenly looking at the card from an expert like low level view, while 99% of you should stay in the high level consumer view and realise nothing has changed

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i will say forever, because 1440p is only so many pixels, and you will optimise your textures to suit it, and not load 8k maps into your vRAM when you will never be able to see those pixels

Optimization is the key word. Theres also no reason for games to be 50gb large, but storage/RAM/VRAM is cheaper than the labor proper optimization would cost.

Really? Your argument is that future proofing is for morons. Not everyone wants to buy a new GPU every year or two.

Yes as theres no such thing as future proofing. 

/not that you'll read this since you've ignored me. Oh well, have fun being ignorant I guess. 

I'm not so sure about that. 2-way SLI at 4K performs pretty well. As you said though, 4GB of VRAM still isn't used.

-snip-

Those don't show minimums though. Average FPS is a very misleading thing. Plus 45 fps in a twitch shooter is kind bad :unsure:

Not to mention those are recent games where it's already "struggling".

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Really? Your argument is that future proofing is for morons. Not everyone wants to buy a new GPU every year or two.

it is when you dont check how the product performs. its like when i bought a 770 in january last year and would now complain that its not a good card for 1440p... but i checked benchmarks and knew what i was buying. youre trying to futureproof with a card not meant for that

i meant in the future. check crysis 3 benchmarks (or far cry 4)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Yes as theres no such thing as future proofing. 

If there is no such thing as future proofing, why did you buy an i5-4690k to run a single 780? Most people seem to buy unlocked i5's so they can overclock them to compete with future Intel releases. Why did you get one though?

If there is no such thing as future proofing, why did you buy an i5-4690k to run a single 780? Most people seem to buy unlocked i5's so they can overclock them to compete with future Intel releases. Why did you get one though?

Because it actually does make a difference in some games -- such as BF4.

GPUs also grow in power much faster than CPUs. CPUs are only about 30% faster than they were almost five years ago, and a lot of that 30% increase in performance can be made up for by overclocking). The same is certainly not true for GPUs, which can easily jump 20%+ between generations.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

because there is fun in overclocking. why buy a 4790k when even if you get it to 4.8GHz that is still not a perciavable change over the default 4.1. because its fun

because there is fun in overclocking. why buy a 4790k when even if you get it to 4.8GHz that is still not a perciavable change over the default 4.1. because its fun

No there isn't, I thought it's all about performance and framerates?

You're getting CPU bound with a single 780?

in BF4 you can get, if you take a i3 versus an i5 since that game runs >4 strong threads

No there isn't, I thought it's all about performance and framerates?

then you are a moron... oh wait ;)

of course its for the fun of it. an enthusiast is ENTHUSIASTIC about the hardware. and that means he likes to have fun with it. 

You're getting CPU bound with a single 780?

GPUs also grow in power much faster than CPUs. CPUs are only about 30% faster than they were almost five years ago, and a lot of that 30% increase in performance can be made up for by overclocking). The same is certainly not true for GPUs, which can easily jump 20%+ between generations.

I'm also pushing a 144hz monitor and I have second 780 I'll throw in whenever I stop being lazy/decide to bring it from my other system. So yes, overclocking will actually help. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

And I have second 780 I'll throw in whenever I stop being lazy/decide to bring it from my other system. 

So there is no such thing as future proofing is just tired gamer dogma?

honestly i dont care, it still performs pretty well.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

no, there literally is no such thing. you buy a card because it performs well now, and you know it will only perform worse, come future. if you think you will keep the performance level longer than 3 months, you are a moron... oh wait

When it comes to GPUs, you can't really future proof. When it comes to more stable hardware -- CPUs, RAM, Monitors, motherboards, etc... then you can. 

You told me performance is all that matters.

He's talking about something else entirely. A lot of people buy -k chips because they want to push the limits of their overclocking skills. Theres a reason why LN2 overclocking exists -- it's exciting. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm also pushing a 144hz monitor and I have second 780 I'll throw in whenever I stop being lazy/decide to bring it from my other system. So yes, overclocking will actually help. 

You're too lazy to throw in your second 780? I'd do it immediately, bit of asseto corsa or skyrim would benefit greatly. Well I guess it depends on what games you play, something like CS:GO runs at 250FPS on max settings with my crappy 660ti. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

no, there literally is no such thing. you buy a card because it performs well now, and you know it will only perform worse, come future. if you think you will keep the performance level longer than 3 months, you are a moron... oh wait

There you go putting words in my mouth again.

You told me performance is all that matters.

for a consumer. which 95% of sales are. when i build rigs for people, the percentage of them with a K skew in there is <10%. because consumers want a part that works and doesnt break because he fiddled with it. we enthusiasts find it enjoying to fiddle with them a little, to get some extra free performance, which is what matters, but if its fun doing it, all the better

There you go putting words in my mouth again.

nope, paraphrasing and TLDRing what youre saying here, youre futureproofing with a 970. you are a complete moron

You're too lazy to throw in your second 780? I'd do it immediately, bit of asseto corsa or skyrim would benefit greatly. Well I guess it depends on what games you play, something like CS:GO runs at 250FPS on max settings with my crappy 660ti. 

Well, lazy is the wrong word.... I have two systems -- one at home and one at school, each with a 780. Right now I'm able to push 90+fps in the games I play on my single 780, so I just assume make my life easy and leave one 780 in each computer. Now, when that starts to not be the case then I'll grab the second 780.

I also haven't been playing much else other than Dota, because Dota is a cold-hearted bitch that won't let me leave her alone.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

for a consumer. which 95% of sales are. when i build rigs for people, the percentage of them with a K skew in there is <10%. because consumers want a part that works and doesnt break because he fiddled with it. we enthusiasts find it enjoying to fiddle with them a little, to get some extra free performance, which is what matters, but if its fun doing it, all the better

I regret not getting the 3570k, but it was just at a time that I was short on money, so I somewhat cheaped out on the i5 3570 and a crappy cooler. But if I were to buy my PC I'd get an unlocked i5 and a better cooler, need dat performance in 3ds max. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I regret not getting the 3570k, but it was just at a time that I was short on money, so I somewhat cheaped out on the i5 3570 and a crappy cooler. But if I were to buy my PC I'd get an unlocked i5 and a better cooler, need dat performance in 3ds max. 

thats different, rendering scales linearly with frequency and cores ;) gaming doesnt really

i meant in the future. check crysis 3 benchmarks (or far cry 4)

Those don't show minimums though. Average FPS is a very misleading thing. Plus 45 fps in a twitch shooter is kind bad :unsure:

Not to mention those are recent games where it's already "struggling".

Fair enough, is see where you're both coming from.

I don't agree with what Nvidia has done. I know it does not affect performance (for the most part). Waiting 3-4 months to correct misinformation is wrong and the claimed bandwidth of the memory is wrong for the .5GB which is false advertising. What is stupid is people thinking it's magically going to make their card worse or worse than what was shown in benchmarks. It will perform the same now as it did back then.

I would like to see a small disclaimer for the .5GB on the specs just like there should be about dual GPU cards and their VRAM.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP