Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Yeah but even with the true specs it is a very good price/preformence card

it is not always the specs which makes a card good

That's what I was implying...

This boys and girls is what you call fanboyism.

"no its ok they completely lied about this cause ya kno...its fast...so...so..its ok."

Lol. You kids need to grow up man.

"no its ok they completely lied about this cause ya kno...its fast...so...so..its ok."

There is a difference between being annoyed/upset/mad for being lied to and being a sensationalist uppity five year old having a temper tantrum because they're getting the exact same performance they paid for with a slightly different spec sheet. 

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the new standard of techies.

Really, So you're saying we should all buy things based on specs? Well, shit...I better sell my rig and upgrade to an FX9590. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

A little FYI: there is a pretty stark difference between being a fanboy and being reasonable. If it applies to one end of the spectrum, then it applies to the other, by definition.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Really, So you're saying we should all buy things based on specs? Well, shit...I better sell my rig and upgrade to an FX9590. 

Oh look, your techie level is over 9000! :lol:

You beat both of the aforementioned hands down!

Who needs standards when you have tech gods like djdwosk97 ?

Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

A little FYI: there is a pretty stark difference between being a fanboy and being reasonable. If it applies to one end of the spectrum, then it applies to the other, by definition.

There is a difference between being annoyed/upset/mad for being lied to and being a sensationalist uppity five year old having a temper tantrum because they're getting the exact same performance they paid for with a slightly different spec sheet. 

Lol. You kids need to grow up man.

Grow up? Excuse me? I'm not the one trying to defend a massive company completely lying to its userbase then trying to throw its marketing team under the bus.

I dont give a damn which team you're on or how much "real performance" wasn't lost, they straight up, 100 percent, lied to our faces in the name of selling more cards.

That is not cool regardless of red or green and the fact that you people are so enthusiastic to defend it is insane.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1664 iirc :P

Your shitty card has 600~ less cuda cores than my 780...your card is crap. 

I still don't know what a ROP is, what a CUDA core does, or how graphics even get made. 

All I know is my FPS counter says 60 and I crash into helicopters on BF4 with impunity. So sue me that I don't feel cheated on by Nvidia. Woe is me. I don't know how I'll survive. 

I actually came from a 780 SLI setup, honestly when the 970 got released I saw people here saying it's faster than the 780/290x etc so I took their word for it and I watched the power consumption/noise results. I just upgraded for a card that was quieter with the semi-passive fan feature >.>

I never gave a damn about that extra 1GB, seriously weren't 780 or 780 Ti's not enough for 4K? 

This issue is actually a good thing for me, I can get it replaced and pay a bit more for a 980 or perhaps get it for free because they only have 980's as a working 4GB card (they don't sell AMD) nor their CPU's).

By the way, if the ROPs aren't lasercut they can be re-enabled with a firmware update to fix this issue like Gigabyte did - so lets freaking wait for a response instead of trolling a thread like many here are doing.

This issue is actually a good thing for me, I can get it replaced and pay a bit more for a 980 or perhaps get it for free because they only have 980's as a working 4GB card (they don't sell AMD) nor their CPU's).

By the way, if the ROPs aren't lasercut they can be re-enabled with a firmware update to fix this issue like Gigabyte did - so lets freaking wait for a response instead of trolling a thread like many here are doing.

wat

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Grow up? Excuse me? I'm not the one trying to defend a massive company completely lying to its userbase then trying to throw its marketing team under the bus.

I dont give a damn which team you're on or how much "real performance" wasn't lost, they straight up, 100 percent, lied to our faces in the name of selling more cards.

That is not cool regardless of red or green and the fact that you people are so enthusiastic to defend it is insane.

Again, I'm not saying what Nvidia did was right. Nor am I saying that we shouldn't give them shit for lying about specs. But this whole thread is doing that on the basis that they gave us a shitty card and it doesn't perform the way it was supposed to because of specs, and that they misled us about it's performance by telling us it had more ROPs than it actually does. Now the issue is, that you shouldn't be buying a product based on a spec list as it doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot. And it's not like they physically changed the card after the reviews were out like Kingston did with the V300, they merely listed the wrong specs. Theres a very big difference there. All the benchmarks that were released up until this point are still a 100% accurate representation of the cards performance. 

I actually came from a 780 SLI setup, honestly when the 970 got released I saw people here saying it's faster than the 780/290x etc so I took their word for it and I watched the power consumption/noise results. I just upgraded for a card that was quieter with the semi-passive fan feature >.>

I never gave a damn about that extra 1GB, seriously weren't 780 or 780 Ti's not enough for 4K? 

780s really weren't enough for 4k, and neither is the 970. 

Wait, Gigabyte renabled the 8 missing ROPs? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Do you buy a card based on the specs or benchmarks? I don't even know how many cuda cores my 970 has >.>

That's your problem. Not mine. And clearly not the Consumers problem.

I, for example, like to check the specs when I purchase products, for I'm entitled to see them and the manufacturer has to display it. Because I'm a informed consumer, and the law gives me rights to be one.

Example:

When I buy Smartphones it's one of the first things that I check is the specs - what soc it has, ram, camera, OS version, etc.

780s really weren't enough for 4k, and neither is the 970. 

Wait, Gigabyte renabled the 8 missing ROPs? 

I heard they released a firmware that fixed it.

I, for example, like to check the specs when I purchase products.

Example:

When I buy Smartphones it's one of the first things that I check is the specs - what soc it has, ram, camera, OS version, etc.

And then you buy the phone with the "better" specs even though the onee with lower specs actually performs better.

I heard they released a firmware that fixed it.

I can't seem to find anything about a recent firmware update...did they do it a long time ago? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

And then you buy the phone with the "better" specs even though the onee with lower specs actually performs better.

I can't seem to find anything about a recent firmware update...did they do it a long time ago? 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/806255/geforce-900-series/psa-gigabyte-has-just-released-new-bios-update-for-all-gtx-970s/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I buy what ever I want, it's my money.

If I want to buy a phone with the shittiest performance ever made, as long as I don't get lied to - for example claiming it has one SoC, but has other - it's my problem. If I buy a laptop that claims it has a GPU A and I receive one with the GPU B, and both have the same performance - I have the right for a refund, because I wanted GPU A. Not B. A.

Easy, right?

If a single person here picked the card based on the exact number of functional units the chip had, let their voice be heard.

Unfortunately, your options for GPUs that will let you game at your desired resolution/details/framerate haven't changed at all. Your choices are either to give your money to AMD for an equivalent card, or to buy another Nvdia card (which you probably won't do, if you're actually upset).

Switch over to AMD, and vote with your wallets.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I wonder if/when the Strix will get a fix.

If a single person here picked the card based on the exact number of functional units the chip had, let their voice be heard.

Unfortunately, your options for GPUs that will let you game at your desired resolution/details/framerate haven't changed at all. Your choices are either to give your money to AMD for an equivalent card, or to buy another Nvdia card (which you probably won't do, if you're actually upset).

Switch over to AMD, and vote with your wallets.

Maybe for CPU's when the next chipset comes out, not chancing their GPU's, too much of a reputation for bad drivers for my liking.

Not going to debate this, just my opinion on the AMD GPU's.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This guy seems to like his card with Vram @ full load playing 4k,

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Wait what? How do you do that? The product is not defective, so they won't take returns anyway. Moreover, how do you even get the 980 for free, when they won't even take returns???

Unless you are part of the Nvidia Focus Group.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I, for example, like to check the specs when I purchase products.

Example:

Says our AMD Mantle sensior vice-president on LTT who keeps lying about Mantle's performance or DirectX12 = Mantle and when it comes down to Nvidia they're looking at the specs instead of performance accusing them of falsely advertising. But when it comes to Mantle's performance, basically tested against AMD's own DirectX which is broken currently that AMD refuses to fix so they can sell Mantle, it's not false advertising. It's all GOOOOOOOOOOD like Richard Huddy tells their PR team after they lied.

Also the card is named to a processor, you're buying it for the processor which mainly is all about what performance it offers. Phones are not named to Qualcomm 6". Poor comparison.

Don't tell me you bought a 4000 rpm 120mm fan because the manufacturer listed it as a 25 dBa fan. Do you perhaps own an AMD CPU something fishy like a 8350? That would reveal your intelligence.

Wait what? How do you do that? The product is not defective, so they won't take returns anyway. Moreover, how do you even get the 980 for free, when they won't even take returns???

I said perhaps, still gotta ask. http://www.tones.be/producten/grafische-kaarten

They don't have any true 4GB card I can replace my card with.

Says our AMD Mantle sensior vice-president on LTT who keeps lying about Mantle's performance or DirectX12 = Mantle and when it comes down to Nvidia they're looking at the specs instead of performance accusing them of falsely advertising. But when it comes to Mantle's performance, basically tested against AMD's own DirectX which is broken currently that AMD refuses to fix so they can sell Mantle, it's not false advertising. It's all GOOOOOOOOOOD like Richard Huddy tells their PR team after they lied.

Also the card is named to a processor, you're buying it for the processor which mainly is all about what performance it offers. Phones are not named to Qualcomm 6". Poor comparison.

Don't tell me you bought a 4000 rpm 120mm fan because the manufacturer listed it as a 25 dBa fan. Do you perhaps own an AMD CPU something fishy like a 8350? That would reveal your intelligence.

I said perhaps, still gotta ask. http://www.tones.be/producten/grafische-kaarten

They don't have any true 4GB card I can replace my card with.

You're now turning this on AMD? This is about Nvidia lying to their customers about the specifications of their card, AMD didn't lie about anything.

Also, you compared a 970 Strix to a 290 reference earlier, pick an aftermarket one next time, otherwise it's just biased. Lastly, giving out personal threats to anyone with AMD CPU's is just childish and pathetic.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Yes, you and people like you need to grow up. If those "real" specs were never researched and released, none of you would be bitching about the 970. Why? Because it's a good card. Nothing has changed since it's release. Every contracted reviewer gave it a thumbs up due to its performance per watt, overall performance in general and it's price point.

How are you going to tell me I'm defending a company that doesn't care about me? I'm looking at this rationally; so don't call me a fanboy or someone defending a company.

For fuck sake, I was supposedly "defending Ubisoft" for doing something good despite the p.o.s. game they released (Unity). You can be objective and rational and not be a "fanboy" or a company's white Knight.

Edit: I also doubt that they're throwing their marketing team under the bus. When you read something like that on the internet with little context, one would over sensationalize it's actual meaning. It seems like a simple miscommunication, possibly. It happens.

Don't graphics cards perform bad when all the v ram is populated?

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

They shouldn't

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

You're now turning this on AMD? This is about Nvidia lying to their customers about the specifications of their card, AMD didn't lie about anything.

Also, you compared a 970 Strix to a 290 reference earlier, pick an aftermarket one next time, otherwise it's just biased. Lastly, giving out personal threats to anyone with AMD CPU's is just childish and pathetic.

Nvidia lied about the specs of their card. AMD's reference cooler doesn't allow their card to reach it's max power output, so AMD crippled their card by offering an incapable cooler -- basically the same idea as crippling the memory system. 

No? They perform badly when the game needs more VRAM than what is available. 

What you may be getting at is, some games will load stuff it MAY need into VRAM (if there is excess VRAM) and therefore has the potential to perform better (albeit slightly). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler