Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Specs are literally meaningless, whereas (realistic) benchmarks show real-world performance. 

Mind = Blown

I am speechless. :o:o:o

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Mind = Blown

I am speechless. :o:o:o

GTX780 has 50% more cores than a 970 -- the 780 is not 50% faster. 

FX9590 has more cores and a higher clock speed than a 4790k -- the 4790k is a lot faster. 

iPhone 6' A8 (1.4ghz?) dual core cpu -- is one of the fastest smartphone cpus there is (well, when paired with a well optimized OS anyway) 

And the list goes on, and on, and on. 

Edited by colonel_mortis

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

GTX780 has 50% more cores than a 970 -- the 780 is not 50% faster. 

FX9590 has more cores and a higher clock speed than a 4790k -- the 4790k is a lot faster. 

iPhone 6' A8 (1.4ghz?) dual core cpu -- is one of the fastest smartphone cpus there is (well, when paired with a well optimized OS anyway) 

And the list goes on, and on, and on. 

But I thought your techie level was over 9000! How do you not understand this?

Let me tell you one thing: Little knowledge is dangerous.

Is this the new standard of techies? No this cannot be! :o

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

But I thought your techie level was over 9000! How do you not understand this?

Let me tell you one thing: Little knowledge is dangerous.

I like how your trying to evade the topic at hand since you have no valid response. 

And yet people cry about the price point being what it is because it's meant for prosumer workstation implementations. We're doing some mental gymnastics here. And Titan Blacks on air sit in the 40-43 dB range too.

Don't get me wrong, it's not really a gaming card, but it's not a workstation card either -- and I would put it more towards gaming than workstation. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

In unrelated news segattachisung just presented a new 8 TB hard disk on the market. Having a overall read/write speed of over 224 MB/s makes this an excellent choice for the enthusiast.

UPDATE:

Fanboys all over the world agree that is absolutely no problem that the last TB only is being accessed with a read/write speed of 20 MB/s. And that nobody would use all 8 TB anyway!

Also nobody noticed it directly after buying and using the product, so it is even more OK! Also Mantel and 8350 stink!

:D

They're all (well, not all, but still) using Titan Blacks -- crossover cards that are more towards gaming than workstation. 

Titan's are NOT gaming cards, they are designed almost purely for the purpose of video editing.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

There are Quadros, FirePros, Titans, and cryptocards, depending on context of usage. Also, some people have a community-style workplace. In other words, they work at a house.

The topic here being gaming oriented GPUs.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Does nobody know how to read?

Seriously.

And the ball is already rolling, kicking it on any direction but their owns lol:

This is from NVIDIA CHAT

Asif: I understand that you are dissatisfied with the card. Unfortunately NVIDIA can’t directly offer refunds on third party products. You need to contact <partner/reseller> to discuss refunds or exchanges.

And the ball is already rolling, kicking it on any direction but their owns lol:

Well, they're technically very much correct. AIB's hold the short end of the stick in this situation.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

BECAUSE ITS NOT A 4K CARD

Fucking shocker. Stop peddling that tired post as evidence that Nvidia is plotting to nuke the Earth. 

Your title should be "Resident Nvidia fanboy". What constructive comments have you added to the discussion? All you've done is flamed anyone who's said something bad about Nvidia. They mis-sold a product and you're still defending them... Laughable.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Why would Nvidia directly handle ANYTHING? They are not the seller. They aren't the ones giving you the warranty. The bill of sale isn't made between you and them. Why would they touch this at all? They'll make arrangements with their GPU makers to decide what to do next. 

-snip-

Edited by colonel_mortis

This made me a fan boy of AMD for at least another 5 years and I'm not even joking...

Well, they're technically very much correct. AIB's hold the short end of the stick in this situation.

Guess who will be the next? 

They'll either kick it back again for NVIDIA, or for retailers.

Your title should be "Resident Nvidia fanboy". What constructive comments have you added to the discussion? All you've done is flamed anyone who's said something bad about Nvidia. They mis-sold a product and you're still defending them... Laughable.

Yup, you got me. 

It can't be that Im a rational thinker using his brain. Fuck that. Im a fanboy through and through. 

Titan's are NOT gaming cards, they are designed almost purely for the purpose of video editing.

I'd also disagree with that statement. A workstation card can't game for shit; a Titan on the other hand competes with a 780 -- which is still a very good gaming card (price-wise the titan is a lousy gaming card, but performance-wise it's quite good). 

Yup, you got me. 

It can't be that Im a rational thinker using his brain. Fuck that. Im a fanboy through and through. 

God damn free thinkers....

(Whats that from btw..I can't remember -- it's not exactly that but it's something like that) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'd also disagree with that statement. A workstation card can't game for shit; a Titan on the other hand competes with a 780 -- which is still a very good gaming card (price-wise the titan is a lousy gaming card, but performance-wise it's quite good). 

God damn thinkers....

(Whats that from btw..I can't remember) 

I never said they were bad at gaming, the value of them for gaming sucks ass. Who's going to pay 2,3 or sometimes even 4x the price for a titan when a 780 performs just as good in gaming? They are workstation grade cards.

I never said they were bad at gaming, the value of them for gaming sucks ass. Who's going to pay 2,3 or sometimes even 4x the price for a titan when a 780 performs just as good in gaming? They are workstation grade cards.

Quaddros are workstation cards. A titan is much more like a Geforce card than a Quaddro. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quaddros are workstation cards. A titan is much more like a Geforce card than a Quaddro. 

A titan just had really good precision performance, made them nice for labs who wanted the horsepower of a Quadro and were willing to forgo the validation and warranty support. Our lab started with Titans and moved up to proper Quadros later on.

Why would Nvidia directly handle ANYTHING? They are not the seller. They aren't the ones giving you the warranty. The bill of sale isn't made between you and them. Why would they touch this at all? They'll make arrangements with their GPU makers to decide what to do next. 

No one can actually be that thick...can they? Are you intentionally thick or just pretend to be on the internet? 

Because they have customer support, so they should handle customer support.

And no... today it was clear you, Luka and many other beated the records of thickness. You have the tittle, no one can get it from you guys - not today.

They would have said the same thing even before all of this happened. The vendors (Asus, EVGA, etc) sell the cards to you, not Nvidia themselves. Stop trying to add fuel to this non-existent fire.

Do you have any lick of reading and comprehension skills? Do go back and read all of the posts.

Do you have any lick of reading and comprehension skills? Do go back and read all of the posts.

Going on personal attacks are we? Tut tut. Seems to be all that you do.

Because they have customer support, so they should handle customer support.

And no... today it was clear you, Luka and many other beated the records of thickness. You have the tittle, no one can get it from you guys - not today.

Nvidia didn't sell the cards. Nvidia won't handle refunds/returns. The people who sold the cards will, and that won't happen till EVGA, MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte make up their minds. 

You are just trying to create a flame war, using straw man arguments and only making yourself look like the blithering moron that you are.  Stop being such a infant, it doesn't suite you. 

Going on personal attacks are we? Tut tut. Seems to be all that you do.

No, I'm genuinely asking because I don't know how you can say Victorious is being a fanboy when he, like the very few people in this thread, are looking at this from a rational standpoint and have attempted multiple times to show you people what is and what isn't. Obviously that isn't working, so that's why I asked: do you have any reading and comprehension skills?