Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

speaking of Head of global technical marketing @ AMD
aaYlTfz.png

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/560653676155396096

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

And these are the people who advertise thier CPU as 8 cores when it isn't actually 8 soldered cores it's more like 6 and a half cores ? 

8350 literally has 4 TRUE cores, and I guess you can say it too, is hyperthreaded in AMD's world because it has 8 threads, but only 4 PHYSICAL processors.

You really should read up on CMT before saying stuff like that.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

You really should read up on CMT before saying stuff like that.

actually i never knew about it until linus said it on a WAN show once, i just googled stuff to find out more

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Ohey.

B8enfkCCYAEMfLC.png

Haven't both companies always advertised their dual GPU cards in this way though? I don't think either of them ever really go out of their way to say the VRAM is actually mirrored. I'd say both Nvidia and AMD hold the blame equally on this issue.

Haven't both companies always advertised their dual GPU cards in this way though? I don't think either of them ever really go out of their way to say the VRAM is actually mirrored. I'd say both Nvidia and AMD hold the blame equally on this issue.

Yes, they all do it. 

AHASDHSHSFWEFSF QSDFWEF SF !! !@ Spoilers are back! 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They have, he is just being intentionally obtuse and hyperbolic in an attempt to get people into and AMD v Nvidia flame war and take attention of the the actual issue.

-snip-

IS THAT GUY SERIOUS HAHAHAHA

They have, he is just being intentionally obtuse and hyperbolic in an attempt to get people into and AMD v Nvidia flame war and take attention of the the actual issue.

I'm saying, both companies are guilty of advertising all VRAM, not what's usable.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Do you really think he has a 970? Look at his posts, he hasn't done anything else than bummin AMD. Funny they can't respond to my video I posted that trutly showed how much power my 970 was pulling instead of from some random source that doesn't know how to get their AC/DC efficiency steady for max accuracy. I get 200W when folding with a 780, 100W on my 970. Can prove it.

Tom's hardware is one of the most credible, reliable, and thorough hardware review sites out there. Wouldn't call them a "random source" at all.

And these are the people who advertise thier CPU as 8 cores when it isn't actually 8 soldered cores it's more like 6 and a half cores ? 

8350 literally has 4 TRUE cores, and I guess you can say it too, is hyperthreaded in AMD's world because it has 8 threads, but only 4 PHYSICAL processors.

8350 is 8 cores. The fact that they share some cache does not make them not true cores. 

8350 is 8 cores. The fact that they share some cache does not make them not true cores.

Nope. It only makes them weak cores.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Thats not the reason why. An FX8 cpu is made up of four modules. In each module you have two integer processing units and one floating processor unit. So each "core" is made up of one integer unit and half an floating point unit, whereas a true core has one of each. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Thats not the reason why. An FX8 cpu is made up of four modules. In each module you have two integer processing units and one floating processor unit. So each "core" is made up of one integer unit and half an floating point unit, whereas a true core has one of each. 

They are still 8 physical cores even when they share the FPU, although gimped. There's still a FDEW cycle for every one of them.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Yes, kind of. It has 8 physical cores, but like previously stated, it'd be more correct to call them modules. It's not hyperthreading though.

Regardless, this is known in the reviews. Just like how SLI not doubling the memory is, or how 1TB HDD isn't 1TB in your OS. I would like them to be more upfront about all this, but at the very least the technically inclined and those who do research, have that data readily available. Customer can actually get informed about this issue without first having to go through hoops and loops to figure out the real specifications.

They are still 8 physical cores even when they share the FPU, although gimped. There's still a FDEW cycle for every one of them.

Yes, kind of. It has 8 physical cores, but like previously stated, it'd be more correct to call them modules. It's not hyperthreading though.

Regardless, this is known in the reviews. Just like how SLI not doubling the memory is, or how 1TB HDD isn't 1TB in your OS. I would like them to be more upfront about all this, but at the very least the technically inclined and those who do research, have that data readily available. Customer can actually get informed about this issue without first having to go through hoops and loops to figure out the real specifications.

The same thing is what is happening here, 970 is a 4 Gb card just not the way you expected it to be, but it's still a good card none the less 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

1TB HDD isn't 1TB in your OS

Hey hey, now that is your OS lying to you, not your hard drive heh.  A 1TB HDD literally has 1,000,000,000,000 bytes of storage on it. Different kind of lying I guess.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

The same thing is what is happening here, 970 is a 4 Gb card just not the way you expected it to be, but it's still a good card none the less 

Not really. The data they present on their specsheets are accurate. The reviews are accurate.

They don't suddenly start dropping cache or memory speeds or processing units from the CPU.

Hey hey, now that is your OS lying to you, not your hard drive heh.  A 1TB HDD literally has 1,000,000,000,000 bytes of storage on it. Different kind of lying I guess.

You know what it is. It sucks, but it is labeled on the boxes and reviews. Even windows shows the real number should you right click into the drive properties.

There is a very clear difference between what has now happened with the gtx 970's and what happens with SLI memory or the HDDs, you know it, I know it, everyone who knows the subject should know it.

Not really. The data they present on their specsheets are accurate. The reviews are accurate.

They don't suddenly start dropping cache or memory speeds or processing units from the CPU.

you just repeated my statements differently 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

NVidia damaged a great card and that's their doing not the consumer

NVidia damaged a great card and that's their doing not the consumer

please elaborate 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

the flame wars are NIGH

redeem yourselves you fools, all them amd fanbois were starving for shit like this now the forum will be on fire for a week

Colbert-Popcorn-3D-Glasses.gif

giphy.gif

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

aaYlTfz.png

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/560653676155396096

Why are you harassing the man?

Jesus christ wtf.

So if i sell you a car that i advertise as a car that easily goes over 200 MPH.

You buy it and it only goes to 190 MPH and then it craps out.

Would you be satisfied with your purchase?

I know i wouldn't.

Just my two cents. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8913/amd-reports-q4-fy-2014-and-full-year-results

What's that AMD? You were saying something about doing good business?

Thats because their cpus are shit and no one wants to buy them.

IMO.