Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

I agree that 970 for 4k isnt the smartest decision but hey some people have that setup and works fine in games that don't use much VRAM.

Yes they did , iIM just saying its not that good as a 4k card as most people thought.

Because at 4k using your whole memory at full speed is important.

Do you agree with this?

I would say 290x CFX is much smarter at 4k.

The limiting factor at 4k isn't the VRAM, it's that SLI 970s don't have the power to run 4k properly. 

Except even a 4gb R9 290x doesn't give you 4gb of usable VRAM in-game as a decent chunk goes to rendering your desktop/everything in the background. I'm using up 300-375mb of VRAM just rendering two 1080p monitors. Try 4k and you'll be using up at least 500mb. So, all Nvidia has to do is modify the 970's drivers to control memory allocation and put background tasks/desktops/etc... on the slower .5gb of VRAM and leave the remaining VRAM left for gaming.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The limiting factor at 4k isn't the VRAM, it's that SLI 970s don't have the power to run 4k properly. 

Except even a 4gb R9 290x doesn't give you 4gb of usable VRAM in-game as a decent chunk goes to rendering your desktop/everything in the background. I'm using up 300-375mb of VRAM just rendering two 1080p monitors. Try 4k and you'll be using up at least 500mb. So, all Nvidia has to do is modify the 970's drivers to control memory allocation and put background tasks/desktops/etc... on the slower .5gb of VRAM and leave the remaining VRAM left for gaming.

I will agree with you when nvidia does that.

Until then thats just speculation.

If you end uo being right just tag me on a post , i will gladly admit i was wrong.

As it stand the 290x is the best high resolution card of the two as it has been proved on this thread.

Cheers.

I read so much bullshit here its sad. And I don't even mean the boring deformations and derailing of arguments.

When you all are just making up facts we can just move this thread to fanfiction/fantasy.

@djdwosk97:

300-375mb VRam usage for the desktop? My 7870 on Win7@1920x1080 uses 21 MiB with one open firefox window right now. Whatever your setup is, its not representative.

@everyone:

I mean it is obvious that you all have no clue what the basic memory management of the GPU/driver does. But stop pretending to know, please!

All the information in the Articles about the 970 tell me that the driver already is using the slower 512MiB optimal. The only change they can make in the driver is to switch the advertised memory size from 4 GiB to 3.5 GiB. So heavy applications don't try to precache to much data and force the driver to guess which data to prioritize.

All your "genies" ideas how to use the slower memory are already happening in drivers since decades. Drivers use timestamps/counters on data structures (buffers/textures) to move unused ones out to system memory when under memory pressure. They also optimize memory location depending on how the data gets used by the application.

I wish you just would start to understand that NVidia is many people / departments. There technologie is really good (and so is AMDs!), but there upper management was taking a shit on top of the 970 before shipping it.

It's all about the humor. Nvidia set themselves up to be slandered and criticized.

Opcode i have great respect for you as member.

I think you are very wise .

I suggest you ignore Majestic here since he cant even take a joke.

Cheers.

Opcode i have great respect for you as member.

I think you are very wise .

I suggest you ignore Majestic here since he cant even take a joke.

Cheers.

Your joke is not funny. You said yourself that you had enough of our "nonsense". Why are you back?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Your joke is not funny. You said yourself that you had enough of our "nonsense". Why are you back?

It wanst me that made the joke.

I cooled down a bit and i understood that my behavior was not acceptable.

I have been perfectly cordial about this today so dont start.

@djdwosk97:

300-375mb VRam usage for the desktop? My 7870 on Win7@1920x1080 uses 21 MiB with one open firefox window right now. Whatever your setup is, its not representative.

@everyone:

I mean it is obvious that you all have no clue what the basic memory management of the GPU/driver does. But stop pretending to know, please!

All the information in the Articles about the 970 tell me that the driver already is using the slower 512MiB optimal. The only change they can make in the driver is to switch the advertised memory size from 4 GiB to 3.5 GiB. So heavy applications don't try to precache to much data and force the driver to guess which data to prioritize.

All your "genies" ideas how to use the slower memory are already happening in drivers since decades.

Proof of only using 21mb?

No, the current driver utilizes the first 3.5gb, and THEN starts to use the .5gb. If the drivers are modified to use the slower VRAM for the desktop then it would help alleviate these "issues". 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Since you and your buddies love memes so much, let me throw one back at you for what you said in bold:

It wanst me that made the joke.

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

And you are being FAR from cordial now; you have been repeating the exact same connotation over from last time.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

this post !!!!

mGHh3s7.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Since you and your buddies love memes so much, let me throw one back at you for what you said in bold:

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

And you are being FAR from cordial now; you have been repeating the exact same connotation over from last time.

I have been much more rrespectful

Now about my opinion , you dont have to agree with it.

Opinions are like D*** everybody has one so if you dont like mine just ignore it.

Now stop provoking me if possible.

Have a great day ;)

Opinions are like D*** everybody has one so if you dont like mine just ignore it.

Now stop harassing me.

We do not have to agree with it, you said... then why have you been attacking everybody over this? Like I said last time, practice what you preach.

Let me tell you about how the internet works; when you throw poo at someone or a group, you are bound to get the same level of poo back.

We do not have to agree with it, you said... then why have you been attacking everybody over this? Like I said last time, practice what you preach.

Let me tell you about how the internet works; when you throw poo at someone or a group, you are bound to get the same level of poo back.

I havent been attacking anyone.

I have been stating my opinion .

Using you logic you are attacking me right now.

Trying to get a reaction perhaps.

Maybe i will breach COC if you push me enough right?

LOL

Using you logic you are attacking me right now.

Stop lying; you have made an entire thread calling us "NVidia apologists". You have spent a whole 35 pages now throwing petty insults at people who respectfully disagree with you to make yourself feel better. 

There is a difference between attacking somebody and providing a reasonable point of view. You have been doing the former; the rest of us have been doing the latter.

Stop lying; you have made an entire thread calling us "NVidia apologists". You have spent a whole 35 pages now throwing petty insults at people who respectfully disagree with you to make yourself feel better. 

There is a difference between attacking somebody and providing a reasonable point of view. You have been doing the former; the rest of us have been doing the latter.

Yeah i have apologized for that.

You wont get a reaction out of me.

Not gonna happen buddy.

So how about you leave me alone alright?

Now stop provoking me if possible.

Have a great day ;)

Am I the only one who can't figure out what the D*** is? I feel stupid.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

No you just switched from passive-agressive to denial, and because you say "just my two cents" or "have a nice day" you assume your way of arguing is now less obnoxious.

People didn't care about your namecalling, they didn't like the way you argue. And that hasn't really changed much.

You just have much to learn in this regard, and the sooner you realise that being wrong is part of the proces sometimes you stop creating so much dissonance for yourself and others. Your snappy way of retaliating with little to no thought just keeps adding fuel to the fire and derailing the topic with stupid red herrings. I thought for a second this afternoon you understood that, but it was just pretends and you went back into the old routine. 

And i'm going to leave it at that, do with it what you will.

The thing between your legs... or maybe not 

P.s. @zappian not everyone has one 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

look down