Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

The best way to kill a thread is to stop posting in it. So please, let's.

It's not hurting anything.

Plus I need something to look at while my internet is down.

Ask a mod to close it.

People here are so full of shit it would be better to everyone involved.

If it does get closed, can almost guarantee it will reopen under a different name in 5 minutes. People here are too tied up in this subject to let it be.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Whjats your problem?

I think my problem is that I have allowed my self to get in a discussion with a troll.   Unfortunately no amount of logical reasoning will work on a blind troll.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Its in the title people , nvidia lied.

Why do you think there should be no moral implications?

I think my problem is that I have allowed my self to get in a discussion with a troll.   Unfortunately no amount of logical reasoning will work on a blind troll.

Did you see the VRAM picture i linked or not?

Because you are ignoring what i say.

False advertisement rings a bell?

Anyways i want to hear his opinion.

It's still a good card. Honestly I think it's wrong but this is a massive corporation. They aren't exactly known for their perfect moral compasses. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. I can only imagine how long the thread would be if this were Apple instead of Nvidia.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What does this even mean? Do you know what the word "implication" means?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I do agree with this. I feel a lot of people arn't mad about the card not performing well, because it does perform very very well. But they're mad because NoVidia straight up lied to people in marketing (to try and get more sales most likely.)

Its not just about performance, its about the ethical of Nvidia going through weeks of plain lying to the masses.

I seriously doubt They would have said anything at all if it didnt come out from a 3rd party first.

NVIDIA hasn't "lied" about the situation, but should have done better in communicating. It's not an argument about your moral objections to a lying company, it's that NVIDIA did a poor job communicating the actual issues with the card rather than being upfront with it.

Take for example, you open GPU-Z with a 970 equipped. You'll see 64 ROPs and 4GB of VRAM, and you see that because GPU-Z is detecting them. However, the program doesn't realize that 8 ROPs are disabled and the VRAM is segmented, unlike the GTX 980. This is likely what technical PR saw when they were given the cards to distribute. They didn't know that Maxwell could partially disable a ROP/MC or individual ROPs, something that NVIDIA's engineering team should have done a better job communicating.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

No you're not. You're just here to shitpost.

And now I'm enabling. 

Give us your opinon man.

About what you think of the situation from that stadpoint.

No one has proven yet that Nvidia intentionally spread a lie regarding its performance. That's what matters most to me, is intent. Mistakes are forgivable, bold lies are not. While a large company shouldn't let things like this happen, especially on large purchases, society accepts far worse from auto manufacturers.

Anyways, all the QQ'ing and straw man arguments in this thread mostly surround how it affects people at 4k, which its not targeted for. I'd also be willing to bet that most people who are upset couldn't tell you how the reduced ROPs and cache would affect the ability of the card.

Read back, i'm not going to repeat myself.

Let me guess you have a 970.

YUP.

970 owners so adamant about defending nvidia.

I wonder why.

If it does get closed, can almost guarantee it will reopen under a different name in 5 minutes. People here are too tied up in this subject to let it be.

And honestly, they should be tied up in the subject. 

Summing up this thread in a single post, 

The 970 still out performs cards of last gen (dual gpu asside) while being one of the most power efficient designs to date. Nvidia lied about its specs knowing full well what they were doing. People should be mad about the lying, not the performance because it still performs better than expected, even with a broken ankle. Would it perform better without the metaphorical broken ankle? yes; but it doesnt mean it doesnt perform well already, far surpassing expectations.

People need to lay off trying to justify the lie, there is no justification; simple as that. This is a prime example of corporate fraud and it needs to be dealt with regardless of how it's done, whether is an official apology to all 970 owners from nvidia's ceo, or a monetary gift. It needs to be dealt with, before we can go on to start discussing the ACTUAL implications of the technical specs, not just theoretical nonsense that every is going to get an e-boner about. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

LOL. This kid made a new account just to have someone to "back him up"? 

Thats a new low. 

??

I joined 25 jan , this account is not new.

NVIDIA hasn't "lied" about the situation, but should have done better in communicating. It's not an argument about your moral objections to a lying company, it's that NVIDIA did a poor job communicating the actual issues with the card rather than being upfront with it.

Take for example, you open GPU-Z with a 970 equipped. You'll see 64 ROPs and 4GB of VRAM, and you see that because GPU-Z is detecting them. However, the program doesn't realize that 8 ROPs are disabled and the VRAM is segmented, unlike the GTX 980. This is likely what technical PR saw when they were given the cards to distribute. They didn't know that Maxwell could partially disable a ROP/MC or individual ROPs, something that NVIDIA's engineering team should have done a better job communicating.

Nvidia is huge. They dont just hand a card over to a group of people and say like, "Here figure out what we did here and report on it!" No, they give a detailed list of what the card is EXACTLY. They did lie, and theres no doubt about that. Someone or a group of people over there messed up bigtime, and theres no way to shift the blame to anyone but the company itself.

Did you see the VRAM picture i linked or not?

Because you are ignoring what i say.

yeah I saw it, I am ignoring the ignorance.

Its in the title people , nvidia lied.

No ones does, if you'd even read some of the thread you'd know that no one thinks that.  Stop being ignorant, educate yourself before you make assumptions and look like a fool.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

YUP.

I wonder why.

How do you expect people to have a civilised discussion with stupid adhominems like this. But you've proven my point, you aren't interested in someone else's opinion. You just want to shitpost and vent your bigotted ignorant rants.

Cognitive dissonance is a bitch, huh. 

What is it you hope to gain here really though. Derail the topic? Discourage people to buy 970's because of moral reasons? What the fuck is your invested here, because the 970 didn't just become a bad card overnight so that's not really an argument on technical terms.

I'll answer that question for you; You have no argument, therefor you just attack everyone else personally. And FYI, I can return the card any time I want for a full refund. No post-purchase rationalization here buddy.

??

I joined 25 jan , this account is not new.

All this means is that it's taken you 4 days to replicate the actions.

I suggest you create a new account and try again.  Only this time read the whole thread and educate yourself before passing judgment.

YUP.

I wonder why.

I don't have a 970, so....

Why am I forced to provide the burden of proof all the time. Educate yourself. You two are derailing the topic completely with your annoying cognitive dissonance, lack of general understanding or ability to argue.

The memorybus, whilst not as advertised, is NOT an issue for the 970. End of story. And whilst a 290X has "real 4GB vram" that too suffers from memoryloss by windows desktop, especially at resolutions where it matters (like 4K). So at the end of the line, it matters not if the 970 can allocate that 512MB for desktop use.

If you claim something, then claim it with proof. No reason to hide when you can prove something.

And I am not derailing the thread. If the idle VRAM concerns me regarding the 970, then I have the right to ask.

And I've never been harsh/insulted anyone on this thread, and if educating someone is sooo hard, why bother? Nobody asked you to educate us. You chose to reply.

Your insults show how great of a person you are.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

YUP.

I wonder why.

I don't have one, right now I am torn between a 970 or a 290.  At this rate I might just weight and see what effect the 300's have on the market.  But at the end of the day, to assume the arguments in this thread have anything to do with ownership is simply ignorant, it is alittle more than an excuse to dismiss a legitimate statment that you disagree with.  Either put forward an argument with a rational/testable foundation or piss off.

And honestly, they should be tied up in the subject. 

Summing up this thread in a single post, 

The 970 still out performs cards of last gen (dual gpu asside) while being one of the most power efficient designs to date. Nvidia lied about its specs knowing full well what they were doing. People should be mad about the lying, not the performance because it still performs better than expected, even with a broken ankle. Would it perform better without the metaphorical broken ankle? yes; but it doesnt mean it doesnt perform well already, far surpassing expectations.

People need to lay off trying to justify the lie, there is no justification; simple as that. This is a prime example of corporate fraud and it needs to be dealt with regardless of how it's done, whether is an official apology to all 970 owners from nvidia's ceo, or a monetary gift. It needs to be dealt with, before we can go on to start discussing the ACTUAL implications of the technical specs, not just theoretical nonsense that every is going to get an e-boner about. 

The issue is that they didn't lie. They shouldn't have advertised the card as 4GB, but they weren't wrong in doing so. They shouldn't have said it contained 64 ROPs, but they did, and weren't wrong (except 8 are inactive).

Take as much time attempting to prove it, but there is no logical reason behind why NVIDIA would have lied.

1) NVIDIA wouldn't have and did not gain anything from this. As I've said, this card is crazy better than a GTX 780, and they could have sold it just like that. Let's remember, the GTX 780 was $700 on release, the 970 is $330 and more power efficient. Honestly, 512MB of VRAM does not change the gaming aspect of this card, and I bet everybody who bought the card didn't realize what an ROP is and what it could do (and I bet you even more, the same people complaining don't understand how 8 additional ROPs would be useless anyway).

2) NVIDIA is not stupid, not like some companies. They recognize that the consumers they're trying to appeal to would have immediately found the flaws with it, and they did. If it was deliberate and NVIDIA had no story behind why this was all unknown and still advertised to, then I can see the argument. The issue is, though, their story makes sense. The fact that they would lie does not. Remember, they're trying to appeal to people smarter than who the lie would have been able to fool.

3) The card has all of the originally advertised features, however, the ROPs are actually disabled and the VRAM segmented. Is it morally correct for AMD to be advertising the R9 295X2 as an 8GB card? Because they are.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.