How I felt the first time I used a mechanical keyboard

MrPete1985

Wow, I grew up on mechanical keyboards, the only one I really miss is the old "CLICKER".  And whilst I know there are good and bad keyboards out there,  the price they are asking for some of these is just ridiculous, it borders on snake oil.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In the old days, I guess I was using mech KB's w/o realizing it, then they were phased out in favor of the cheaper membrane KB's. And honestly, I was pretty happy with the generic KB's I'd been using, till I'd gotten the G15 which was an awesome membrane KB. Then, I got the talking, in a local tech forum, about mech KB's and how they feel so much better than membrane. I wasn't quite convinced and saw no reason to move from the G15.......but, the wrist rest on my G15 began to feel a tad grimy so I talked myself into getting a mech KB, started out with a Trigger Red, an Armaggeddon MKA-3 Cherry Red, a DS II 78 Version (multiple switch types), Ducky DK9087G2 Pro TKL with white PBT caps, DS II Special Ed with white key caps, CM QF TK Blue, Filco MJ Ninja, Trigger Green and a classic Lexmark Model M buckling spring. I ain't stopping, going to get whichever KB that catches my fancy.....next would prolly be a DS III YOTS Edition, won't be my last though. Yep, I got the mech KB bug baaaaaad. Now, I don't see myself ever going back to membrane KB......typing on mech KB's is like sex for the fingers.....I kid you not!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I've never owned one but i have tried pressing buttons. i was like ERMERGERD!!!! I NEED ONE!!! 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I think that anybody who has typed with membranes for a long time would really like greens, or help transition to other switches with greens

In the old days, I guess I was using mech KB's w/o realizing it, then they were phased out in favor of the cheaper membrane KB's. And honestly, I was pretty happying with the generic KB's I'd been using, till I'd gotten the G15 which was an awesome membrane KB. Then, I got the talking, in a local tech forum, about mech KB's and how they feel so much better than membrane. I wasn't quite convinced and saw no reason to move from the G15.......but, the wrist rest on my G15 began to feel a tad grimy so I talked myself into getting a mech KB, started out with a Trigger Red, an Armaggeddon MKA-3 Cherry Red, a DS II 78 Version (multiple switch types), Ducky DK9087G2 Pro TKL with white PBT caps, DS II Special Ed with white key caps, CM QF TK Blue, Filco MJ Ninja, Trigger Green and a calssic Lexmark Model M buckling spring. I ain't stopping, going to get whichever KB that catches my fancy.....next would prolly be a DS III YOTS Edition, won't be my last though. Yep, I got the mech KB bug baaaaaad. Now, I don't see myself ever going back to membrane KB......typing on mech KB's is like sex for the fingers.....I kid you not!

Holy moly, have you seen a doctor about that? :D   I don't think I 've ever been that taken with a product type. Although I must admit I do own quite a few speakers and a few guitars.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Holy moly, have you seen a doctor about that? :D I don't think I 've ever been that taken with a product type. Although I must admit I do own quite a few speakers and a few guitars.

Bah, that's nothing honestly. :) I'm trying to swap my GPU craving with mech KBs, if I can make the transition, it'd be so much cheaper. I mean, look at my main rig with the 3x HD7970's, my 2nd rig has 2x GTX670's and my 3rd has a HD6990 + HD6970. I'd gotten all these cards from Dec 2011/Jan 2012 to 4Q 2012,.....about the time when I had gotten my first mech KB.

BTW, like the common cold, there's just no cure for this mech KB bug..... :D

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Coming from using a laptop keyboard for 4 years before this, I wasn't all that impressed, but my dad who was using a membrane keyboard went on my recommendation and got himself a 30$ blue one was pretty surprised and loved it :)

PC in Profile

for me  i was like

WHY THE F IS IT SOO LOUD !!!

i got the blue switches

u can hear them a mile away

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

^^LMAO! :D  What is on the way btw?

^^LMAO! :D  What is on the way btw?

I'm being cheap so I can afford my GTX 780 next paycheck (2 weeks). I also trust them as I've bought stuff from them before (lots of stuff) and it's always great quality, shipping, and everything.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I hate them.

Good God I tried to like mech keyboard, I tried every make and kind I could get my hands on, never enjoyed a single one of them no matter what kind of switches they used.

Call it insanity, call it unbelievable (even my friends tell me that) but I just prefer membrane instead.

Currently using the Microsoft Sidewinder X4:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/sidewinder-x4-keyboard

I'm happy with it, and I wouldn't stop using it even of you gave me a Logitech G19 and a Corsair Vengeance K90 for free.

My first mechanical keyboard was a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with blues. I really liked it, it was a monumental change over my crappy Dell keyboard.But I returned it because the blues were a bit heavy for my light hands. I got a K90 with reds instead and it was much better. Unfortunately the K90 was faulty(leds broken) so I had to send it in for RMA. Got it replaced with a K95. Amazing keyboard, I didn't really mind the membrane keys on the K90, but I'm happy with a full mech!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I hate them.

Good God I tried to like mech keyboard, I tried every make and kind I could get my hands on, never enjoyed a single one of them no matter what kind of switches they used.

Call it insanity, call it unbelievable (even my friends tell me that) but I just prefer membrane instead.

Currently using the Microsoft Sidewinder X4:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/sidewinder-x4-keyboard

I'm happy with it, and I wouldn't stop using it even of you gave me a Logitech G19 and a Corsair Vengeance K90 for free.

One of my friends only uses chicklet keyboards, hey like the fast press on it. Everyone is different and prefers different things. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I only like corsair casesut what does it for me on the corsair is the

get a leopold or ducky

I like both of those brands too, but what does it for me is the metal plate and the scroll wheel for volume on the corsairs, i really like that.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

$58 Still relatively expensive, but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Is it good? I have never seen them this inexpensive before?

Is it good? I have never seen them this inexpensive before?

There are over 30 reviews and the lowest rating it's gotten is 4 stars.

Monoprice.com has a reputation of great quality products and service. Any site that rates retailers gives them a 9-10 rating on everything but shipping. They usually get a 8-9 on that one.

The reason some people gave that keyboard 4 stars is because the print (the letters on the key caps) wears off quickly, apparently. The LED's for the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock are very bright, and the space bar feels "weird" to one person.

I bought one. It's in the mail now. I trust Monoprice as I've bought lots of stuff from and it's always great quality, no matter the price.

HDMI cables for $5 (as compared to $20-$80 from Best Buy) for example.

I don't care what it looks like because it is cheap. I only care that it is mechanical. I can replace the key caps later from www.wasdkeys.com if need be, and I can put scotch tape over them or solder resistors to the keyboard if I want to make the LED's less bright.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I like both of those brands too, but what does it for me is the metal plate and the scroll wheel for volume on the corsairs, i really like that.

you think they are the only ones with a metal plate? ducky has one

and the quality of ducky boards wins over a shitty scroll wheel 

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I use the keyboard IBM made after the Model M. It is semi-membranical :p

Proud to be from Belgium.

There are over 30 reviews and the lowest rating it's gotten is 4 stars.

Monoprice.com has a reputation of great quality products and service. Any site that rates retailers gives them a 9-10 rating on everything but shipping. They usually get a 8-9 on that one.

The reason some people gave that keyboard 4 stars is because the print (the letters on the key caps) wears off quickly, apparently. The LED's for the num lock, scroll lock, and caps lock are very bright, and the space bar feels "weird" to one person.

I bought one. It's in the mail now. I trust Monoprice as I've bought lots of stuff from and it's always great quality, no matter the price.

HDMI cables for $5 (as compared to $20-$80 from Best Buy) for example.

I don't care what it looks like because it is cheap. I only care that it is mechanical. I can replace the key caps later from www.wasdkeys.com if need be, and I can put scotch tape over them or solder resistors to the keyboard if I want to make the LED's less bright.

I am with you on the looks, and its very inexpensive. I might pick one up. That is a really cheap HDMI cable.

you think they are the only ones with a metal plate? ducky has one

and the quality of ducky boards wins over a shitty scroll wheel 

why do you have to call it shitty? I find it more enjoyable to scroll my volume then to click it in increments, and sure corsair isn't the only keyboard with metal back plates. Most people would guess that, But i also like the wrist pad that goes along the entire keyboard, and ducky has a separate wrist pad i know but its not as flush with the keyboard as one that attaches like the corsair, and again they are not the only ones with this I know. And as good as build quality is on a ducky just because people see it as the brand true keyboard enthusiast use doesn't mean its right for me. And when money becomes available for a new keyboard for me im probably going to get a corsair k-70 with cherry blues. Cause it looks nice and has the features i desire.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

why do you have to call it shitty? I find it more enjoyable to scroll my volume then to click it in increments, and sure corsair isn't the only keyboard with metal back plates. Most people would guess that, But i also like the wrist pad that goes along the entire keyboard, and ducky has a separate wrist pad i know but its not as flush with the keyboard as one that attaches like the corsair, and again they are not the only ones with this I know. And as good as build quality is on a ducky just because people see it as the brand true keyboard enthusiast use doesn't mean its right for me. And when money becomes available for a new keyboard for me im probably going to get a corsair k-70 with cherry blues. Cause it looks nice and has the features i desire.

any true true keyboard enthusiast wouldn't take a second look at their keyboards...

because all they are to me is a case company, all their other shit can be beaten simple

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I have a K95 and its awesome. Great quality and looks amazing. I like the independent media controls and the volume control is very nice. Much better than buttons like you said. 

The brushed aluminum plate is great. 

Playing typeracer on a mechanical keyboard is so addicting. :lol: It's like giving your fingers a massage or something.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

ive never used mechanical.. :(

Same here *cries*