Google admits Glass had ‘major problems’, says it’s time for a ‘pause, strategy reset’

Google-Glass-video-user-g-016-624x351.jp

I have graced you all with a post about something good that Google was doing for the tech industry, how about one where Google is either incompetent or just lazy at. I don't even know if I have the right word. 

Lack of commitment? Seems to be a hallmark with some Google projects that get started to such fanfare and then left to die because Google seems happy to not finish things through. 

Glass...what a missed opportunity IMO. Did very little to actually advance it, refine it, make it accessible for all. Such a shame. 

Google plans to keep making ambitious and costly bets on futuristic products, even if it means shelving some of its most beloved projects. The Internet search company acknowledged for the first time on Thursday major problems with its Google Glass wearable computer, noting that it was time for a “pause” and a strategy “reset.”

The comments by Chief Financial Officer Patrick Pichette during Thursday’s quarterly results conference call struck a decidedly different tone from Google’s talk earlier this month of Glass “graduating” from the company’s labs into a separate division.

Pichette’s admission of Glass’ failings was particularly noteworthy given that the product has been long championed by Google co-founder Sergey Brin. As growth in Google’s main search advertising business slows, the company needs to reassure investors it can make clear and sober investment decisions, analysts said.

Glass, by contrast, is a project that has not been able to “hit its hurdles” despite its great promise, Pichette explained. Google halted consumer sales of Glass earlier this month, but said it would continue to sell the product to businesses.

“Maybe that was the message they’re giving, that even if it’s one of our pet projects, we are not afraid to come out and just kill it,” said B. Riley & Co analyst Sameet Sinha.

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/google-admits-glass-had-major-problems-says-its-time-for-a-pause-strategy-reset-252235.html

You want the B don't cha?

Its a nice badge, I can understand :P

Really sad Glass didn't take off, hopefully we'll still see this type of technology on wearables in the near future

Yeah I think Google will be best off leaving Google Glass alone for a while, at least until the technology behind it advances some more.  

Really sad Glass didn't take off, hopefully we'll still see this type of technology on wearables in the near future

HoloLens is the future.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I prefer the D. 

tesla_model_s_p85d.jpg

I'm pretty sure pricing it at 1.5k was the worst mistake.

Yeah. Glass was an expensive, and exclusive club to be part of. I think its rarity was part of how conspicuous people felt when wearing it as much as anything else. You don't limit availability to a few people (in one country) and charge over the odds and then expect it to become accepted.

Yeah I think Google will be best off leaving Google Glass alone for a while, at least until the technology behind it advances some more.  

You're literally saying that we shouldn't advance the technology until the technology advances.

Yeah. Glass was an expensive, and exclusive club to be part of. I think its rarity was part of how conspicuous people felt when wearing it as much as anything else. You don't limit availability to a few people (in one country) and charge over the odds and then expect it to become accepted.

Not to mention the actual usefulness of the device was pretty limited. There are a LOT of things that deserve my money in that quantity more than glass did...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not to mention the actual usefulness of the device was pretty limited. There are a LOT of things that deserve my money in that quantity more than glass did...

But that ties into the first point, though. Can you imagine how useful smartphones would be (any smartphone) if takeup was limited to the same extent Glass was? Phones would be almost useless without the wealth of third party app development, so that's a problem that would have fixed itself in time.

And the price was a deliberate decision to limit availability. Can't have people thinking it's a consumer product until it's ready. Which is fair enough, but it has to be followed up by the actual thing.

I mean ok full on rant time now. This is exactly what Nintendo did with the Game Cube and "learnt from" with the Wii. That Component cable which enabled a couple of games to run at a slightly higher (but still SD) resolution, but they only sold it an Japan and only for a brief period, and then saw that not many people used it. They then used this as confirmation that no one actually wanted HD and so laughed at Sony and Microsoft for making the PS3 and XBox 360 High(er) Definition. -_-

Not to labour the point but could you imagine if Oculus turned around and said "oh wow DK2 isn't shifting massively. That must surely mean that no one in the world wants VR!" It's the same concept. DK2 isn't meant to be a mass consumer thing, that's why it's DK2. In the same way that Glass went out of its way not to be.

So....they'll have to put Glassholes on the endanger species list?  :lol:

I just don't think we were ready for it. First, we need to put smartphones on our wrist before we strap them to our face. Google missed a step.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

So....they'll have to put Glassholes on the endanger species list?  :lol:

I just don't think we were ready for it. First, we need to put smartphones on our wrist before we strap them to our face. Google missed a step.

It was a nice notion, but Google is way too early to the table. Battery tech is one thing, having dense enough batteries and efficient enough processors/small ones to fit in your frames not to mention the projection tech to have information either beamed into your eyes or onto the glass themselves. 

They just half assed it a lot, IMO. 

Who would've thought that MS would come in with HoloLens and show everyone what it should be. 

google just make an ai that is completely secure and "perfect" so i dont have to worry about you running the world

It was a nice notion, but Google is way too early to the table. Battery tech is one thing, having dense enough batteries and efficient enough processors/small ones to fit in your frames not to mention the projection tech to have information either beamed into your eyes or onto the glass themselves. 

They just half assed it a lot, IMO. 

Who would've thought that MS would come in with HoloLens and show everyone what it should be. 

Is there even a reason that the processor *has* to be in the glass itself? Could it not just be an accessory to your phone, which acts as actual computer? I don't see why every little thing that we have needs to be anything other than a thin client.

I'd be all for my phone leeching off of my PC's resources once I step into my home network. Surely this makes more sense than throwing ALL OF THE POWER into something like a watch?

Is there even a reason that the processor *has* to be in the glass itself? Could it not just be an accessory to your phone, which acts as actual computer? I don't see why every little thing that we have needs to be anything other than a thin client.

I'd be all for my phone leeching off of my PC's resources once I step into my home network. Surely this makes more sense than throwing ALL OF THE POWER into something like a watch?

They could've done that, and simply made thicker frames to accommodate lipo battery configurations to give the Glass a battery life that was more in line with say, a Pebble watch instead of a Motorola Watch. 

google just make an ai that is completely secure and "perfect" so i dont have to worry about you running the world

what if their current ai waits for them to implent such idea so that it can take over the world?

*tinfoilhat* :unsure:

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

They could've done that, and simply made thicker frames to accommodate lipo battery configurations to give the Glass a battery life that was more in line with say, a Pebble watch instead of a Motorola Watch. 

They could have done. Bear in mind, too, that the battery would only really be powering the display and wifi in this set of circumstances, too.

Google, you're better off making a proper OS than this thing was..

i really want chromeOS to be a bit more than chrome.. I want chrome+ android apps but thats taking forever... ughh

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i really want chromeOS to be a bit more than chrome.. I want chrome+ android apps but thats taking forever... ughh

I want ChromeOS to not be what it is. A proper file and file type system so we can do something with it would be great. Having it as a good branch off of Linux and being able to game on it would be awesome.