Google pulls the plug on Google Glass explorer programme

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
Google is reportedly pulling the plug on its Google Glass Explorer programme, which allowed those with $1500 handy to buy and help test out the smart glasses. However, despite Google calling it quits on Glass in its current form, it will continue to focus on the future of the product and bring out a consumer device eventually.

The BBC has learned that the Google Glass team will move to the Google X division and become a separate undertaking under the current manager, Ivy Ross. From next week onwards, Google will stop taking orders for the $1500 version of Glass, which we have seen around since 2013.

he Glass team will now report to the Chief Executive of home automation business, Nest, indicating a change in direction for the smart glasses. Google has said that it remains committed to turning Glass in to a consumer product but has no timescale for this and will conduct future testing out of the public eye.

Many who took part in the Explorer programme initially have since stopped using the device as it did not evolve in to what Google initially had hoped. Additionally, the wearable has seen quick bans in several public venues, including cinemas and restaurants.

This also squashes rumors of an Intel powered Glass 2 coming out this year. However, it is possible that Intel will still be working with Google on the future of Glass behind closed doors.

My thoughts , i only saw linus wearing it in one of the Behind the scenes videos , and it still needs a gen or more updates , mainly battery 

M_Id_435245_Google_Glass.jpg

Source : http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/google-pulls-the-plug-on-google-glass-explorer-programme/

The Original Glass

GoogleGlass.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Its too immature to test now imo plus it was getting banned left, right and center.

I see there reasoning for pulling the plug.

Tell ya what, I'll buy smart glasses when they look like this

Official_PlayStation_4_Perfect_Day_Comme

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

People are way too conservative to accept something like this anytime soon, we need to wait for the majority of old fashioned generation to die basically, or it will just get banned as long as people think they may be getting recorded :/ my opinion.

Im not surprised

Although this is the first time any one has made a head mounted display in this form factor,

The first TV was pretty shite, and this can be compared in a similar way

But now we can buy OLED and 8K TVs, so surely this sort of tech will improve

Hopefully in less time tho

Now that the general can't buy them it's time to sell mine, not like I ever used it anyway. :lol:

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Tell ya what, I'll buy smart glasses when they look like this

-Snip-

ya i'd wait for this 

dbz-over-9000-meme-thumb-330x264-87969.j

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I think their mistake was marketing it as a much more finished product. The video that was launched with it promised so much more than the little device is capable of. It's a very cool product, but it's definitely not near production-worthy. Having tried one out, it overheats too easy, the battery leaves you wanting more, the screen is only 640x360, and the speed of the animations are very slow. Don't get me wrong - it's a very cool device, but people need to stop treating it like it's ready for the world.

People are way too conservative to accept something like this anytime soon, we need to wait for the majority of old fashioned generation to die basically, or it will just get banned as long as people think they may be getting recorded :/ my opinion.

You do not have to be old to have a sense of security.

nope, you just need to be conservative, to be scared of a thing like Glass. and conservatives are generally older generations. now if you would please not take a generalisation as an insult towards anyone specific, that would be nice

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

nope, you just need to be conservative, to be scared of a thing like Glass. and conservatives are generally older generations. now if you would please not take a generalisation as an insult towards anyone specific, that would be nice

Oh wow, let me reinforce that I did not said that in an offensive way, or at least not my intention.

Just google took kinda the wrong approach to the glass idea, but people are putting a tough wall to make it harder. I do think tho it will happen and become a standard someday, but I would expect it in 20~30 years from now.

And if what you call "sense of security" means "I don't want strangers to record me" you should not leave your home...and even at home be careful with what you have inside, since even mobile cameras can be use, just less sneaky.

tl;dr if people want to record you they will and if people want to distract themselves while driving they also will

And if what you call "sense of security" means "I don't want strangers to record me" you should not leave your home...

I try to lol

Ahead of its time, just like this:

3-260312.jpg

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

Now that the general can't buy them it's time to sell mine, not like I ever used it anyway. :lol:

They're still available, but next time they go out of stock they won't be coming back

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it