That's it gamers -- We've hit 8GB of RAM usage in games!

Hey guys!

i've been monitoring my RAM usage in games for a while and so far CoD AW was using 6GB+ , dragon age inquisition use 7GB+ on my machine...and now DYING LIGHT is pushing this further with peaks at 7800mb used and i assume it would go higher than that if i would have more RAM available..it's basicaly capped with minimal stuff running (MSI afterburner, nvidia experience, that's it) under windows 8.1

Capture.png

Looks like we should slowly start recommending 16GB of RAM for gaming...at least in the higher end builds for now...i defenetly have another RAM set on order ATM myself.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have 24GB, Before with 8GB I would stutter in BF4.

I could try running some benchmarks... If you guys want. I'd like to find out more about this.

What program you using to monitor usage?

we have been suggesting 16 when you can, but if it does not go over 8gb then you dont need more, and rarely is it just the game that uses that much

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Nice. Good to see we're getting to that point now.

I l

MSI afterburner...it has built in Rivatuner statistics...you have to learn how to use it though...takes  5 minutes if your quick :P

ALSO i found out that core 1 is pinned at 98% consistently and this is not good...slower CPU's wil have a hard time running this game properly (looking at you AMD FX :P)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have 24GB, 

I could try running some benchmarks... If you guys want. I'd like to find out more about this.

I have 32GB. I could do some benchmarks as well. Just to see if a higher roof lets it use more RAM.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm not terribly shocked, really. I've been waiting for a reasonable excuse to buy another 8GB kit to fill my board, and this is kind of putting me there. I may wait a few months before then, though.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

*slowly shying away at the back for his 2x2gb gskill 1600mhz kit*  :ph34r:

:P

I have 24GB,

I could try running some benchmarks...

I have 32GB. I could do some benchmarks as well. Just to see if a higher roof lets it use more RAM.

guys if you own this game i'd love it if you could run it and see how much ram it actualy use on your machine, please...

Enjoying my 16 gigs

Want 32....cuz reasons. Been hitting about 8 in dying light, but also had 1 window of chrome open on another monitor so :\

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I stutter in BF4/FC4 unless I have nothing else open, it sucks I want 16GB so bad lol

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I have 24GB, Before with 8GB I would stutter in BF4.

What usage does BF4 use now with 24GB?

Enjoying my 16 gigs

Want 32....cuz reasons. Been hitting about 8 in dying light, but also had 1 window of chrome open on another monitor so :\

I stutter in BF4/FC4 unless I have nothing else open, it sucks I want 16GB so bad lol

Got lucky today my matching ram kit was 30$ off on newegg.ca with free shipping :P ended up costing me 99$ flat! ( i know if you're a US citizen you think it's a lot...but it's not hehe)

Capture.png

-snip

Nice.

right now I've got mismatched ram, 2x4 of adata 1600 (gold colored) and 2x4 of kingston hyper X fury 1866 (red, underclocked to 1600)

Really would like 32 of corsair dominator, repaint the lightbars red

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well at least I don't have to worry about hitting 8 GB lol

Remember a wise man once said, "You'll most likely hear/see more bad reviews from products than good, because if they get a good product, they won't bother to write a review, and if they got a bad product, they'll complain about the product" ~ SoftenButterCream

guys if you own this game i'd love it if you could run it and see how much ram it actualy use on your machine, please...

Um, give me some time to "buy" the game. I'll have benchmarks shortly (within 2-3 days, I'm a bit busy with work). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hey guys!

i've been monitoring my RAM usage in games for a while and so far CoD AW was using 6GB+ , dragon age inquisition use 7GB+ on my machine...and now DYING LIGHT is pushing this further with peaks at 7800mb used and i assume it would go higher than that if i would have more RAM available..it's basicaly capped with minimal stuff running (MSI afterburner, nvidia experience, that's it) under windows 8.1

Capture.png

Looks like we should slowly start recommending 16GB of RAM for gaming...at least in the higher end builds for now...i defenetly have another RAM set on order ATM myself.

The parallelization looks like shit in that game. One virtual core at 97% and everything else 16% or less. SMH. How the hell can that even run on weakass Jaguar cores in the consoles?

Got lucky today my matching ram kit was 30$ off on newegg.ca with free shipping :P ended up costing me 99$ flat! ( i know if you're a US citizen you think it's a lot...but it's not hehe)

Capture.png

Can you give me that link? I need to download another 8GB of RAM myself.

The parallelization looks like shit in that game. One virtual core at 97% and everything else 16% or less. SMH. How the hell can that even run on weakass Jaguar cores in the consoles?

Apparently, there is a fix for it, but it's annoying that we have to do that at all.

† Christian Member †

Hey guys!

Capture.png

Is it a legit usage scenario? Or are we talking memory leaks? If its due to leakage, then i know several old MMO's that could easily use 8gb of memory. I'm looking at you, Perfect World Entertainment. Angelica Engine issues aside, the price of memory is starting to slowly settle back down again. I remember in 2010 when 8gb of DDR3 1600mhz would cost $45-$50, then it skyrocketed to $70-$80. Now it is starting to settle back to $55-$60. If this pattern continues, and memory drops back down in the $40-$50 price range, then 16gb kits will be more commonly seen in builds. 

If the game is using the memory properly, then i am excited for the future. Maybe we can start justifying the obscene amount of memory we buy.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I recently upgraded to 16GB of Ram because of crazy Ram usage. while playing Dragon Age Inquisition I know See 11+GB of Ram being used, and that's not the only game that breaks the 8GB mark. 

even up to a year ago I always swore up and down that 8Gb was more than enough for gaming, but It's starting to get close these days. GTA5 will easily break 8GB I am betting.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

MSI afterburner...it has built in Rivatuner statistics...you have to learn how to use it though...takes  5 minutes if your quick  :P

ALSO i found out that core 1 is pinned at 98% consistently and this is not good...slower CPU's wil have a hard time running this game properly (looking at you AMD FX  :P)

This game has some CPU bottlenecking on everything right now.  It seems to vary between ~30 FPS and ~50 FPS for me with everything cranked and view distance as low as it can go. (at 4K, as well.)  Playable, but not the smoothest experience.  

VqlLupW.jpg

Apparently, there is a fix for it, but it's annoying that we have to do that at all.

Placebo fix, as far as I can tell.  The framerate in this game varies so wildly moment to moment even in the same scene because of how the lighting engine works. 

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

lol i can play bf4 with 3gb of ram (1gb allocated for igpu), it doesn't stutter, but frames are low (~45 avg.) since im using my igpu( waiting fot my 970).

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M