That's it gamers -- We've hit 8GB of RAM usage in games!

So glad I went with 16gbs...  I noticed this yesterday too, I was looking at the dying light system requirements and it said 8gb ram under recommended, I was like woahhh, we've come a long way.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

I said the game USES 2-3gb. However it will check how much ram there is and if you don't have a certain fixed number the game will refuse to launch. If you have that number or more, the game will fill it with empty files to make it look like it's using more,

The tinfoil is compressing the bloodflow to your brain.

They still load it with useful files, and you will experience more stutter with less RAM.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

ok you defenetly smoke to much crack man...you bursted.

If you think game developpers would lock potential users out of a game for no good reasons you defenetly high brah...they work their ass off to get the requirements as low as possible so that as many people can play the game and will end up buying it and that's how they make money that's why they make these games.

Your conspiracy therory doesn't make any sense.

No he's actually right. CoD: Ghosts SPECIFICALLY requires 6GB installed RAM or more to run, but the game only has code in it for 2GB. The further 4GB of RAM it "requires" is coded for "null". They patched the game to launch SP on 4GB later, but the game itself only actually needs 2GB to work. It's an artificial limit coded in by the devs so users would think the game is much more advanced than it is. But only CoD: Ghosts has that issue. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

lol @ whoever buys more ram for these terrible PC ports.

Yea that's what I was thinking.

I'm pretty sure optimized games (the vast majority of them) smartly utilize ram usage and 8gb is still plenty for a long while.

I was actually guilty of falling into this trap when I was playing Watch Dogs with 8gb ram. It kept giving me a pop up message saying I was low on ram. a few months later I decided to go to 16gb, partly cause of that and just cause I said why not.

Hey guess what, turns out Watch Dogs had garbage memory leak

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Developers rushing pc ports and compensating with higher system requirements.........

468851.jpg

ermm

New Ram usage2

that took a while to do, maybe I need to do an update (would like to do it alter but knowing me ill be back in 5 minutes).

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

ermm

that took a while to do, maybe I need to do an update (would like to do it alter but knowing me ill be back in 5 minutes).

And on the contrary, I'm using 5.6GB because I have like 30 tabs open in chrome, steam, Teamspeak 3, WMP, Tweetdeck, Logitech software, Corsair software, Throttlestop, etc running. I haven't even touched a game yet. But that's exactly why I went for 16GB anyway, so =D.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Well I know that 8GB causes most of my games to stutter, and that having all the applications I need/want up at once needs way more than 8GB, so I have to jump to 16GB real fast. Plus I have to be ready for Star Citizen! :D

Battlefield 3+4 (especially 4) eats my RAM real quick. America's Army does too after a while of gaming but not so much as some other titles. It gets really annoying because I have to alt-tab and turn off applications I'd rather stay open while I game...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'll be fine for a long time, I upgraded my computer to 16GB while RAM was cheap in my area.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The parallelization looks like shit in that game. One virtual core at 97% and everything else 16% or less. SMH. How the hell can that even run on weakass Jaguar cores in the consoles?

That's why PS4 is worse than PC minimum settings in terms of draw distance for certain objects

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I'll be fine for a long time, I upgraded my computer to 16GB while RAM was cheap in my area.

yep!!  me too!  I bought my 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengance when it was for $99 (4+ years ago).   Also, Dying light runs as smooth as butter maxed out @ 1080p with my good'ol evga 670SC 4gb and 2500k @ 4.4

I dont want to spend more money on ram. Plus i already have two dimms in my dual channel board

Dual Xeons with 32GB of RAM anyone? :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

So let's see. Console SDK is limited to 4.5 total with the rest reserved to OS. We now need 3 gig GPU's and 16 gigs of ram for a console port? I don't think so. 

Call me when they take off all the OS crap AKA Xbox Live, PS4 network stuff, steaming capability and give the SDK access to all 8 gigs of ram. Then I will believe it. Still won't be using 8 gigs of ram for the game.

Oh we might need more than 8 gigs of ram in the future, but it sure is as hell isn't going to be for a "next gen" console port and if we do? That port is a POS, which all Nvidia Game Works ports are, Dying Light no exception. 

3 gig ram video cards? Yeah you NEED that going forward. PS4 uses like 2.5. Maybe Nvidia can make a 3 gig card so you can be exactly at 2.5 for 1080p.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

So let's see. Console SDK is limited to 4.5 total with the rest reserved to OS. We now need 3 gig GPU's and 16 gigs of ram for a console port? I don't think so. 

As far as I know, it's 5.5GB of RAM on one console and 6GB of RAM on the other, with an extra 1GB being available to the devs if they really need it, though I don't know the downsides of using that RAM.

A lot of people thought I was stupid for getting a single 8GB stick for multiple reasons (looks, they thought it was a lot faster, crap like that). But I really want to fill my board to the gills with RAM. My first upgrade will probably be another stick of RAM. I always run out doing stuff (like 7GB of RAM and almost all of the 8GB of swap I have set aside).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

That port is a POS, which all Nvidia Game Works ports are, Dying Light no exception.

sry, but it's an AWESOME game and the port is very good...very good performance, amazing graphics...i don't understand why you bash on this game.

also, the fact that a pc port can use more ram on pc than it does on console is sign of a good port, it means the devs allowed the game to cache more stuff in ram, to improve performance.

Finally, PC and consoles specs should never be compared, they shouldnt even be brought up because pc and consoles are two completely different things...the games are optimised for those weaker consoles to use less memory etc...where as the pc got to bruteforce his way through inneficient unoptimised coding therefore you need much higher specs on pc to match the consoles in gaming quality.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Hey guys!

i've been monitoring my RAM usage in games for a while and so far CoD AW was using 6GB+ , dragon age inquisition use 7GB+ on my machine...and now DYING LIGHT is pushing this further with peaks at 7800mb used and i assume it would go higher than that if i would have more RAM available..it's basicaly capped with minimal stuff running (MSI afterburner, nvidia experience, that's it) under windows 8.1

Capture.png

Looks like we should slowly start recommending 16GB of RAM for gaming...at least in the higher end builds for now...i defenetly have another RAM set on order ATM myself.

I don't know maybe it's because of all the 970 4gb news lately but when I was reading this I thought you were talking about VRAM. Needless to say I was very confused as to what resolution you were running at.

My Gaming Setup: CPU: AMD FX-8350  |  CoolingCooler Master Hyper 212 Evo   Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0   Ram: Corsair 16gb 1600mhz lp (2x8)   GPU: Msi Gtx 970 |  StorageSeagate Barracuda 1tb & Samsung 840 Evo 120gb   PSU: XFX 550w Core Edition   Case: Corsair 760t   OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit  

Peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry Mx Brown   Mouse: Corsair M65 Black   Speakers: Microlab FC20 40w 2.1   Monitor: LG 29UM65 29" 2560x1080 IPS 5ms Ultra Wide

I don't know maybe it's because of all the 970 4gb news lately but when I was reading this I thought you were talking about VRAM. Needless to say I was very confused as to what resolution you were running at.

VRAM usage in this game is around 2900mb maxed settings at 1080p...no concerns there its normal for a recent modern game like that to use that amount of video memory

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

God dammit, i can't afford all of these upgrades! I'll stick to eight for a while longer. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

*slowly shying away at the back for his 2x2gb gskill 1600mhz kit*  :ph34r:

You know you're in trouble when there are GPUs with more VRAM than you have system memory

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

God dammit, i can't afford all of these upgrades! I'll stick to eight for a while longer.

sure 8gb still plays anything just fine i went ahead and ordered another kit because i'm a freak and have the funds to do it...but the main goal for this thread was to advise the guys that 16gb for gaming now add some futureproofness so for the builders seeking advise that could afford 16gb without sacrifising on gpu or cpu it could be a good thing :)

sure 8gb still plays anything just fine i went ahead and ordered another kit because i'm a freak and have the funds to do it...but the main goal for this thread was to advise the guys that 16gb for gaming now add some futureproofness so for the builders seeking advise that could afford 16gb without sacrifising on gpu or cpu it could be a good thing :)

Indeed! if you can then why not! :D Good on you, knowledge is power after all. 

i just blew the rest of my money on a go, so ram will have to wait . 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?