Apple Just Made An Incredible Amount Of Money

SirNumbers

-snip-

Well, design isn't really subjective, but that's a very Android user thing to say. And no, I'm not insinuating that you're poor, I'm insinuating that you don't understand why other people don't mind paying for software. You're an Android user, in short.

I've had email conversations with the developers of almost all of my apps and I've met several of them personally at development conferences. Each of those apps is made by a singular hardworking independent software developer or company who depends on the income from their apps to live. Excuse me if I don't mind paying them the cup-of-coffee amount that most of those apps cost.

I love Inbox's design too. It is a well designed app. I don't need two email apps though and not all of my accounts are Gmail. I have needs that you don't, in short. Evernote even has good design. I do use Evernote on my Mac but only when I need to share notes with other people. Pen and paper is nice too. Workflow is like Automator for iOS. It uses URL schemes to automate commonly used tasks. IFTTT is for cloud apps, and I use it too, but I don't have their iOS app.

Can you indicate me ONE of these, that justifies the huge price premium?

Industrial design of a distinctly Bauhaus flavor infused with deliciously simple pragmatism and minimalism. "Aesthetics design" is simply not a thing. You're not a designer, so fair enough.

Apple may make a lot of money even with the relatively few people that chose iOS but that doesn't make them successful, it makes them rich.

Well, Android's market share in developed markets is closer to 50% than most world graphs would show you. Android is not a singular product. It is a platform. iPhones are a singular product, and as a singular product, they outsell every single Android phone in existence. The only one that was close was Samsung and we all know where they're headed now. Indeed, Apple makes the most money and the most profit. They sold 34,000 phones an hour in the past quarter. If that's not success then I don't know what is.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Good for them, I still have a soft spot for Apple because I used to really love Apple but really all that I like about Apple is design (not specs) and the general cliché of Apple.

Though Android right now for mobile OSes is more functional and looks good.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

So then explain to me why they're so successful. That's my point.

Value is market defined. If people are willing to pay that much for an iPhone, the iPhone has that value.

Joe and Jane Average want iPhones because it has an Apple logo on it. My mom (iPhone 5 owner, turned down an offer for a OnePlus One) doesn't care about quad core processors, RAM or GPUs. She wants something that'll run Facebook that also happens to have the Apple logo on the back. I have a hunch that this is the mindset of ~80% of the smartphone-owning populous (probably why we get incremental upgrades). My Galaxy S3-wielding grandmother is exactly the same way, except she wants the "Samsung 6" (Galaxy S6) because it DOESN'T have an Apple logo on the back (maybe she's a hipster, a 63-year-old hipster).

Quanity (in this case, of units shipped) != quality. Just because McDonalds has sold 100,000,000,000+ burgers and that people will continue to buy them doesn't mean that they're better than a burger from DuClaw. I'm not comparing iPhones, which are relatively good quality (other than software, IMO), to the atrocity/horror/crime to humanity that is a McDonald's burger, I'm just trying to get the point across that this argument is a logical fallacy.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Joe and Jane Average want iPhones because it has an Apple logo on it. My mom (iPhone 5 owner, turned down an offer for a OnePlus One) doesn't care about quad core processors, RAM or GPUs. She wants something that'll run Facebook that also happens to have the Apple logo on the back. I have a hunch that this is the mindset of ~80% of the smartphone-owning populous (probably why we get incremental upgrades). My Galaxy S3-wielding grandmother is exactly the same way, except she wants the "Samsung 6" (Galaxy S6) because it DOESN'T have an Apple logo on the back (maybe she's a hipster, a 63-year-old hipster).

Quanity (in this case, of units shipped) != quality. Just because McDonalds has sold 100,000,000,000+ burgers and that people will continue to buy them doesn't mean that they're better than a burger from DuClaw. I'm not comparing iPhones, which are relatively good quality (other than software, IMO), to the atrocity/horror/crime to humanity that is a McDonald's burger, I'm just trying to get the point across that this argument is a logical fallacy.

For fuck's sake, we're arguing different things here. I'm saying people want things that work and that are designed well. I was making the point that Apple is commercially successful, and that they are commercially successful because people like their products, not that their products are good because they are commercially successful.

Read this: http://stratechery.com/2015/bad-assumptions/

The author is smarter than both you and I so perhaps he can get my point across.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yarrrrrrr,

Men I know we just made port in our home city and all of ye' be wantin' to visit ye' favourite women of improper pleasures, and spend many a booty on ale and meat.

But... A larger goal in life has always driven us to do things of vile nature. The goal of becoming rich by stealing that which is not ours. And just such an opportunity has just been

sighted be me, ye' captain.

So get back on board, wipe that grin off your face. Cause we be huntin' Apple this month.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

Well, design isn't really subjective, but that's a very Android user thing to say.

Actually, it really is, or there wouldn't be thousands of different phone designs.

Using my mom as an example again, she likes her phones a rounded aluminum unibody (like the iPhone 6) at a 4" screen size, while I like a glass front and ergonomically shaped back made of soft-touch or textured plastic, like the Nexus 6, at a 5.5" or higher screen size.

Another example is that I like the flatness of Material Design and iOS 7/8, while others hate it and swear by iOS 6 and Android 4.4's skeumorphism.

And no, I'm not insinuating that you're poor, I'm insinuating that you don't understand why other people don't mind paying for software. You're an Android user, in short.

I understand why people pay for software, as I do myself. Since you have valid reasons as to why you use the apps you listed, I understand why you use them. I was alerting you to alternatives that I use. (Plus, you inadvertantly let me know about VSCO Cam, which looks great)

I've had email conversations with the developers of almost all of my apps and I've met several of them personally at development conferences. Each of those apps is made by a singular hardworking independent software developer or company who depends on the income from their apps to live. Excuse me if I don't mind paying them the cup-of-coffee amount that most of those apps cost.

Again, I don't mind paying for apps, especially if it supports the developers, but I won't hesitate to switch to another app if it does the same thing better/with more functionality/in a way I like better.

I have needs that you don't, in short.

I have a feeling that if more people in the tech space understood this, we'd all get along better. :P

Evernote even has good design. I do use Evernote on my Mac but only when I need to share notes with other people.

I use it to take regular notes, but also to keep checklists, do pretty much everything I used Pocket and Clips for, and to organize my thoughts and such.

Workflow is like Automator for iOS. It uses URL schemes to automate commonly used tasks. IFTTT is for cloud apps, and I use it too, but I don't have their iOS app.

Ah, thanks. I think I'll check it out.

Industrial design of a distinctly Bauhaus flavor infused with deliciously simple pragmatism and minimalism. "Aesthetics design" is simply not a thing.

I read this in my mind with an uppity British accent. No offense, it's how my mind works. :P

Well, Android's market share in developed markets is closer to 50% than most world graphs would show you. Android is not a singular product. It is a platform. iPhones are a singular product, and as a singular product, they outsell every single Android phone in existence. The only one that was close was Samsung and we all know where they're headed now. Indeed, Apple makes the most money and the most profit. They sold 34,000 phones an hour in the past quarter. If that's not success then I don't know what is.

This.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

For fuck's sake, we're arguing different things here. I'm saying people want things that work and that are designed well. I was making the point that Apple is commercially successful, and that they are commercially successful because people like their products, not that their products are good because they are commercially successful.

Read this: http://stratechery.com/2015/bad-assumptions/

The author is smarter than both you and I so perhaps he can get my point across.

OH, nevermind.

OH, nevermind.

What do you think of the article?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What do you think of the article?

Just started reading now, and have to go somewhere in ~5 minutes, but I'll post my opinions when I finish reading it. So far I agree with it, but that's not saying very much.

Industrial design of a distinctly Bauhaus flavor infused with deliciously simple pragmatism and minimalism. "Aesthetics design" is simply not a thing. You're not a designer, so fair enough.

...so fancy words for specific looks and "feels". The only thing among those that may affect the user's experience is minimalism if used for the UI, and if you're arguing a UI layout philosophy is worth 550$, let me tell you, you're high. Not to mention you can mod the UI of android almost unlimitedly, for free, and get exactly what you want or need. If, as I think, you are a software designer, you should not have any problem with doing that, or even coding a UI by yourself.

I'm saying people want things that work and that are designed well.

Are you arguing that other phones than the iphone aren't well designed or don't work well?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

...so fancy words for specific looks and "feels". The only thing among those that may affect the user's experience is minimalism if used for the UI, and if you're arguing a UI layout philosophy is worth 550$, let me tell you, you're high. Not to mention you can mod the UI of android almost unlimitedly, for free, and get exactly what you want or need. If, as I think, you are a software designer, you should not have any problem with doing that, or even coding a UI by yourself.

Yeah, I have no problem coding UIs by myself, but why should I reinvent the wheel when Apple already got it right?

I've pretty much reserved myself to the fact that you'll never understand design but I suppose I was expecting too much. This is a tech forum, after all.

Are you arguing that other phones than the iphone aren't well designed or don't work well?

Brilliant, Holmes.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

People who assume that any product badged with a logo of a fruit is automatically bad amuse me. 

iPhone sells well because it's good. Arguably the best overall smartphone on the market. The only smartphone manufacturer that comes close to the iPhone's overall performance is the Galaxy line and to no surprise the Galaxy line sells the most of the Android handsets. 

EDIT: (before someone replies to me that some random chinese manufacturer sells the most individual handsets. I'm talking about the premium market. Not $2 Android phones.)

Yeah, I have no problem coding UIs by myself, but why should I reinvent the wheel when Apple already got it right?

I've pretty much reserved myself to the fact that you'll never understand design but I suppose I was expecting too much. This is a tech forum, after all.

Brilliant, Holmes.

Then sorry, but you've been arguing on BS all the time. First of all it's just plain false that android phones don't work well, and it's plain false that apple's UI could not be better. And if you're willing to spend 550$ for a UI, then you have weird priorities.

Sure, use the "you'll never understand" shield, the truth is almost nobody cares about a "distinctly bauhaus flavor" when they buy a phone. They may be shifted towards one or another product if it looks better than the others, but nobody sane would pay 550$ for that. The fact is they simply do not know there are real alternatives. Most people are convinced there are samsung, apple and maybe htc on the market, which all sell overpriced phones and at that point they might as well pick the one that looks best to them. If everyone on the planet knew what people on this forum know about tech, iphones would get maybe 10% of the market.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If everyone on the planet knew what people on this forum know about tech, iphones would get maybe 10% of the market.

And it would be a shame, because then everyone on the planet would be wrong.

Good day.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

(Let me start this by saying that I've been an Android user since 2010. My first Android phone was the original Galaxy S)

I'm an iPhone user. I got the iPhone 6 after having the HTC One m7.

The iPhone is just a better experience for every-day people. Most people don't care about being able to move their apps anywhere they want, or home screen widgets, etc. The iPhone has a good camera, a good screen, good software, good enough speaker, etc. Aside from the customization, which most average people don't care about, there's not really any downsides about having an iPhone. Never has any smartphone been so good at so much with so little compromise.

(Let me start this by saying that I've been an Android user since 2010. My first Android phone was the original Galaxy S)

I'm an iPhone user. I got the iPhone 6 after having the HTC One m7.

The iPhone is just a better experience for every-day people. Most people don't care about being able to move their apps anywhere they want, or home screen widgets, etc. The iPhone has a good camera, a good screen, good software, good enough speaker, etc. Aside from the customization, which most average people don't care about, there's not really any downsides about having an iPhone. Never has any smartphone been so good at so much with so little compromise.

And for people who do care about these things, there's Android.

Let's leave it at that. ;)

Once again, welcome to LTT where people who once again, spend their entire savings on building a PC (and think its normal) but then get bent out of shape when people spend money on phones however they wish. 

Do you guys have some moral inferiority complexes that you absolutely need to insist on whichever brand of phone is better than another? Do you think iPhones are only for hipster douchebags who don't understand tech? Are Androids only for nerds with pocket protectors who like tinkering? 

Is it too much to believe that iPhones sell a lot because people like them? Because the marketing is good and they notice them more? The Galaxy line is the same way. Android, to a lot of people, is Samsungs Galaxy line. Thats who markets the most. Sure, other Android makers might offer "better" phones, but Samsung is at the top. Why not complain about how unfair it is that people really only buy Samsung android phones? 

Jesus, you people need to gain some perspective and stop attaching your self worth to a bloody line of phones. 

Maybe when you grow up. 

Once again, welcome to LTT where people who once again, spend their entire savings on building a PC (and think its normal) but then get bent out of shape when people spend money on phones however they wish. 

Do you guys have some moral inferiority complexes that you absolutely need to insist on whichever brand of phone is better than another? Do you think iPhones are only for hipster douchebags who don't understand tech? Are Androids only for nerds with pocket protectors who like tinkering? 

Is it too much to believe that iPhones sell a lot because people like them? Because the marketing is good and they notice them more? The Galaxy line is the same way. Android, to a lot of people, is Samsungs Galaxy line. Thats who markets the most. Sure, other Android makers might offer "better" phones, but Samsung is at the top. Why not complain about how unfair it is that people really only buy Samsung android phones? 

Jesus, you people need to gain some perspective and stop attaching your self worth to a bloody line of phones. 

Maybe when you grow up. 

Unfortunately my opinion on the state of the market is not welcome by many. However at the end of the day I consider about 4 different brands to be makers of top quality phones equally. the difference in market share has too many factors involved to sit down and definitively place a crown on "the best".

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

*looks at negativity in the thread towards the iPhone*

*picks up iPhone 6 and starts playing bioshock*

Sorry were you all talking?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And it would be a shame, because then everyone on the planet would be wrong.

Good day.

If you say so. I guess that means we disagree ^^ good day to you too!

Maybe when you grow up. 

As if we never discussed on which pc components are better for the money :) realistically you'll never see anyone recommending a titan z for gaming, even if people want the nvidia dual gpu swag there is general consensus that it's a pretty big waste of money. phones are not the only field these discussions take place on. And why is it wrong to discuss what is more or less worthy of our money? After all the whole point of a tech forum is exactly that, to discuss and come to a conclusion on which tech is a better choice and what is best for different use scenarios, so we can advise other people as well as each other on how to get the most out of our money,

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yet the working conditions and the state of health of the workers who make apple products are totally disregarded. Despite numerous reports and investigations. How about investing that money back into improving the lives of people who assemble and manufacture your products. Same for you Samsung... :rolleyes:

Yet the working conditions and the state of health of the workers who make apple products are totally disregarded. Despite numerous reports and investigations. How about investing that money back into improving the lives of people who assemble and manufacture your products. Same for you Samsung... :rolleyes:

Say the same for AMD, Intel, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock, EVGA, Sapphire, Samsung, LG, Logitech, Razer, Acer, and so many more.

It's the same for everyone in the tech world, and hell in nearly all electronics.

Even so I was happy to pay more for my Mac Pro which was assembled in the USA. ( more in the sense that it costs more than previous models in the same tier.)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q