Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

Yes as they advertised the card with 4GB VRAM but didn't deliver
However, I would also be okay with a software update locking it to 3.5GB and a payback of something like 50$ redeem-able through credit cards and paypal. Something like that.
But please no free games at I usually already own ALL of them. q.q 

You didnt buy it because it had 64 ROPs.

You didnt buy it because it had 2048MB cache.

You didnt buy it because it had 4GB of memory.

I did buy it for the 64 ROPs advertised

I did buy it because it had a 2048 cahce

I DID buy it because it had 4GB of memory (in fact that's the only reason i bought this card)

I know you maybe playing on your 1080p display, but others are playing on larger resolutions, so it matters, all of those specs matter.

"You bought it because it performs exceptionally well in games at a very low price." it's a 380 dollar GPU, that's not cheap.

"You bought it because it works."- It doesn't work as advertised, pretty simple.

"You bought it because thousands of others recommend it." I would have to be a dumb consumer to buy something because others bought it, and recommended it.

Actually if you bought a GPU based on specs you would have bought a 290x because it has 64ROPs and 4 or 8GB of vram.

If you obught a GPU only because it has 4GB of vram then why didnt you just go buy a 4GB 760? lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

And as expected, like most hardware sites they are on the defense for NVidia. Can we really trust any of these sites anymore if all they present is spoon fed information.

Now it's a conspiracy and everyone is defending nvidia? Hahhahahahahha

All I've been reading are facts and admissions coming from nvidia. It's the people in this thread who are whining and crying. Most of you probably don't even own a 970. Most of you are probably amd owners trolling.

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Now it's a conspiracy and everyone is defending nvidia? Hahhahahahahha

All I've been reading are facts and admissions coming from nvidia. It's the people in this thread who are whining and crying. Most of you probably don't even own a 970. Most of you are probably amd owners trolling.

Same as in every forum. People don't understand why the sites don't hate big time and freak out... but they obviously never heart of law suits for false accusations.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

If they were just honest from the get-go it would've totally been defendable.

The 670 had the same memory interface as the 680, but that one launched at 400. The 970 launched at 350. So, the reason it's so cheap is because of binning.

So, it's totally forgivable from a technical standpoint. The marketing isn't, however.

Don't expect a lot of hardware reviewers to say anything truly negative. They will play devils advocate to stay in nVidias good graces. But at least one site is calling BS on the whole situation:

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/209339/gtx-970-memory-drama-plot-thickens-nvidia-has-to-revise-specs.html

For example, the non-public document NVIDIA gave out to reviewers (which gives them detailed tech-specs), had clearly mentioned ROP count of the GTX 970 to be 64. Reviewers used that count in their reviews. TechPowerUp GPU-Z shows ROP count as reported by the driver, but it has no way of telling just how many of those "enabled" ROPs are "active."

We can't imagine that the people designing the chip will not have sufficiently communicated this to the driver and technical marketing teams. To claim that technical marketing didn't get this the first time around, seems like a hard-sell. We're pretty sure that NVIDIA engineers read reviews, and if they saw "64 ROPs" on a first-page table, they would have reported it up the food-chain at NVIDIA. An explanation about this hardware change should have taken up an entire page in the technical documents the first time around, and NVIDIA could have saved itself a lot of explanation, much of it through the press.

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750

This is the first time I'm jumping out of my normal price bracket for a graphics card. I chose the 970 for it's balance between cost, performance, cooling, noise, and power consumption all at 1080p with maxed out settings. I could have waited for the 960, but I didn't want to.

Did I get what I paid for? Yes, I think I did and even at a good price. Price matching ftw.

Is it a let down that the VRAM is gimped? Yes, it is.

Will it affect me now? Probably not.

In the future? Who knows?

If they offered a trade in for the next series of cards, that would give it some worth back down the road for those who do end up having issues.

i.e. Do it as a recycling program. Send in your 960/970/980 and proof of [next gen nvidia card] purchase and receive $50/$100/$200. I'm guessing on the reimbursement just to give you an idea.

Anyway, it's interesting topic and I hope no one gets too upset over this. In the end the card performance is awesome at 1080p. I hope the same for 1440p. I'm not expecting great results with 4K and even then I would look at something else or wait for that 4K certified gaming card.

Thanks for reading.

No, the card still performs as well as it was advertised to. The numbers on a spec shet don't mean squat when you're looking at GPUs.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

No, the card still performs as well as it was advertised to. The numbers on a spec shet don't mean squat when you're looking at GPUs.

Use that logic next time you go to buy a car.

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750

Use that logic next time you go to buy a car.

Precisely. For example, all cars have an advertised horsepower rating which is almost always the crank horsepower. This isn't how much horsepower you actually get to use however. At-the-wheel hp ratings are always lower than crank hp ratings. Yet people continue to buy cars when in essense they aren't getting all of what was advertised.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

All 970's are fine unless you play shadow's of Mordor and turn everything up to max. Yeah.. Let's issue a recall for that 

putin-reaction-face.gif

Have a solution for you all. Turn down the settings or sell your cards and go AMD. It's a mid range 350 dollar card. Cant expect the world 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Precisely. For example, all cars have an advertised horsepower rating which is almost always the crank horsepower. This isn't how much horsepower you actually get to use however. At-the-wheel hp ratings are always lower than crank hp ratings. Yet people continue to buy cars when in essense they aren't getting all of what was advertised.

At the same time, when Hyundai and Kia "messed up" their fuel consumption numbers they were ordered to provide restitution to customers of those cars.

At the same time, when Hyundai and Kia "messed up" their fuel consumption numbers they were ordered to provide restitution to customers of those cars.

Love how you all believe you're going to get something free out of this. 

Only things free in life

1. Death

2. Taxes

You didnt buy it because it had 64 ROPs.

You didnt buy it because it had 2048MB cache.

You didnt buy it because it had 4GB of memory.

You bought it because it performs exceptionally well in games at a very low price.

You bought it because it works.

You bought it because thousands of others recommend it.

If none of these stupid articles had existed everyone would be having a great time with their new 970 unaware of any issues.

The fact that you didn't even realize that it had 3.5GB of memory, or only 56 ROPs, or whatever when you bought it shows that the specs are INSIGNIFICANT

What matters is the performance, and that is what you paid for. And the performance is excellent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But maybe it could perform better with the false specs, to let this happen and do nothing is give nvidia more power that already have to do what ever they want with us, like overprice products and now even sell us false specs and see it as something normal... it´s just not right, I love their products, but I think they dont have good ethics as a company.

Because MPG ratings are federally regulated numbers. Horsepower? Not so much.

As someone who bought two 970 G1 Gaming I feel somewhat strange about this "bug".

I think it is awful that nvidia "didn´t notice" that they were delivering the wrong Marketing materials. And I´m mad about them as a company because we all were imformed the wrong way.

http://youtu.be/Eqz4tDM6Wl8?t=50s

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

So am I going to returm my card? No it throws enough Frames at my 1080p Monitor. But I think I´m going on to the red Team next time around not because more heat in my case is so awesome, just because no company should mess with their cosutmers..

Don't expect a lot of hardware reviewers to say anything truly negative. They will play devils advocate to stay in nVidias good graces. But at least one site is calling BS on the whole situation:

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/209339/gtx-970-memory-drama-plot-thickens-nvidia-has-to-revise-specs.html

This is so true. Tech websites kiss Nvidias ass in order to get free goodies from them, and to stay in the good graces of fanatical Nvidia fanboys. If they called Nvidia out for this they would be risking their Nvidia gravy train. How many times during a build tutorial or some review do you hear the words 'wed like to thank Nvidia for providing us with_____', or 'Nvidia was graciousness enough to provide us with ____.' If you hear those words you have to take any reviews with a grain of salt.

Not to mention the ad revenue they get from Nvidia, which could be risked by negative press.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Love how you all believe you're going to get something free out of this. 

Only things free in life

1. Death

2. Taxes

Well, I guess we'll see how their next product sells based off this and how good people's memories are.

As someone who bought two 970 G1 Gaming I feel somewhat strange about this "bug".

I think it is awful that nvidia "didn´t notice" that they were delivering the wrong Marketing materials. And I´m mad about them as a company because we all were imformed the wrong way.

http://youtu.be/Eqz4tDM6Wl8?t=50s

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

So am I going to returm my card? No it throws enough Frames at my 1080p Monitor. But I think I´m going on to the red Team next time around not because more heat in my case is so awesome, just because no company should mess with their cosutmers..

More nvidia owners should be like you

thumbs up.

Well, I guess we'll see how their next product sells based off this and how good people's memories are.

If it performs better than the competition for the right price people will still buy it.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

But maybe it could perform better with the false specs, to let this happen and do nothing is give nvidia more power that already have to do what ever they want with us, like overprice products and now even sell us false specs and see it as something normal... it´s just not right, I love their products, but I think they dont have good ethics as a company.

I'm not talking about letting this happen, I agree something should be done in compensation, but taking everyone's awesome GPUs away is not a solution since the GPUs are perfectly fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If it performs better than the competition for the right price people will still buy it.

But you'll be taking a chance it isn't exactly what you paid for!

u know that firmware cant change the physical layout, don't ya?

Firmware can at least help to recognize the .5GB that the card doesn't utilize properly. They aren't going to change the structure of the card, of course.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||