Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

EDIT: Someone that works for Nvidia responded in the geforce forums (link: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/803518/geforce-900-series/gtx-970-3-5gb-vram-issue/post/4438090/#4438090) Thanks @Templar848 for the link

So it seems that they're proud of the card and sorry for the issue. He said that they're also working on a driver to improve memory allocation (I thought this was by design and not by drivers/optimization because Nvidia said that)

If you really don't want the card, it seems that you can ask for a refund to the store where you got it, if they don't want to give you that you can ask him for help

Just wanted to know your opinion guys.

I paid more than $380 USD for a "64 ROPS, 2048 L2 cache" device.

Now Nvidia is saying "oops, sorry, it's actually 56ROPS and 1792KB of cache".

(Article: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970)

What you guys think

I find it similar to the Intel Pentium stuff where they lied to customers.

Just wanted to know your opinion guys.

I paid more than $380 USD for a "64 ROPS, 2048 L2 cache" device.

Now Nvidia is saying "oops, sorry, it's actually 56ROPS and 1792KB of cache".

(Article: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970)

What you guys think

I find it similar to the Intel Pentium stuff where they lied to customers.

They didn't lie - they weren't aware of the issue.

Honestly they have two choices - do nothing or spent a boatload of money recalling them and shipping with new firmware. Hopefully they do the latter.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

As a GTX 970 owner, I think that they should offer refunds to any and all users, and offer an incentive to users whom choose to keep their cards (maybe a free game that wouldn't conflict with the Ubisoft promo).

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Yea! Fook Nvidia m8!

Nah, I haven't been following it too much but if anything, they should just give a free game, coupon, something of that nature and allow a no questions asked refund. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Certainly...

This is literally scamming someone. Falsely saying that the product has X or does Y and then it not having X or Y.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

They didn't lie - they weren't aware of the issue.

Honestly they have two choices - do nothing or spent a boatload of money recalling them and shipping with new firmware. Hopefully they do the latter.

So they don't actually know what their products have?

I bought my 970 2-3 weeks after launch. That was in October. More than 2 months since 970 launch and they didn't know the real configuration of their products? Wow...

As a GTX 970 owner, I think that they should offer refunds to any and all users, and offer an incentive to users whom choose to keep their cards (maybe a free game that wouldn't conflict with the Ubisoft promo).

Same... And Anandtech posted a thing about it with answers from them too...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Or just recall them, and ship new units with 3.5GB of VRAM, and a free game key. That would be a major pain in the arse though.

Yeah that's why I said give some money back. Recalling all the cards would take forever especially for the kids who bought a pre-built system.

blackshades on

The Vram i could care less because it actually does have 4gb but the ROP'S being only 56 when it was advertised as 64 really pisses me off. The card is still a beast though.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Maybe they could just release a new firmware and have users to flash their VBIOS with NVflash and solve the issue that way.

Hopefully they can & then include a free game  :)

blackshades on

So they don't actually know what their products have?

I bought my 970 2-3 weeks after launch. That was in October. More than 2 months since 970 launch and they didn't know the real configuration of their products? Wow...

I feel like if some guy at Nvidia just happened to be testing new cards one day and saw what was going on with stuttering and VRAM and just went "Oh shit... umm... nobody saw that" and ran away from his PC for a few days xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This is why I didn't jump on maxwell like right way due to possible issues. I did the same with Kepler, I wait just in case issues pop up with a Line of cards ie the R9 series cards with AMD and this time Maxwell

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Last time I checked, all my friend's GTX 970s work perfectly fine. People looked at benchmarks, looked at performance ratings at the resolutions and settings they would be running, looked at the prices, and bought them, and they performed exactly as expected. 

So, no. Its not like 6 months later they are breaking, they are still performing just the same they did when purchased, and the review copies that benchmarkers got, are the same that people purchased. 

So, my vote goes for no, people don't need their money back and nvidia doesnt need to recall the cards. 

Not saying they shouldnt, just that they dont NEED too. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Kinda like the "heat issues" with Fermi and then they were resolved with the 500 series of fermi.

Exactly like that and the 460(I think) had the same memory allocation issues with some of the cards.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Yes. Recall them, fix them (or replace them) and send them back. After they find out what causes the issue and fix it, of course. And stop selling 970s. And apologize afterwards.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

You didnt buy it because it had 64 ROPs.

You didnt buy it because it had 2048MB cache.

You didnt buy it because it had 4GB of memory.

You bought it because it performs exceptionally well in games at a very low price.

You bought it because it works.

You bought it because thousands of others recommend it.

If none of these stupid articles had existed everyone would be having a great time with their new 970 unaware of any issues.

The fact that you didn't even realize that it had 3.5GB of memory, or only 56 ROPs, or whatever when you bought it shows that the specs are INSIGNIFICANT

What matters is the performance, and that is what you paid for. And the performance is excellent.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You bought it because it performs exceptionally well in games at a very low price.

If none of these stupid articles had existed everyone would be having a great time with their new 970 unaware of any issues.

The fact that you didn't even realize that it had 3.5GB of memory, or only 56 ROPs, or whatever when you bought it shows that the specs are INSIGNIFICANT

What matters is the performance, and that is what you paid for.

Exactly.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I'm not very up to date with all this but from what I know, the GTX 970 was a beast but should of been even better?

P.S my Vram goes over 3.5GB in some games. I don't get what people are complaining about..

This <3

Perfectly explains why I hate humans lel

Last time I checked, all my friend's GTX 970s work perfectly fine. People looked at benchmarks, looked at performance ratings at the resolutions and settings they would be running, looked at the prices, and bought them, and they performed exactly as expected.

So, no. Its not like 6 months later they are breaking, they are still performing just the same they did when purchased, and the review copies that benchmarkers got, are the same that people purchased.

So, my vote goes for no, people don't need their money back and nvidia doesnt need to recall the cards.

Not saying they shouldnt, just that they dont NEED too.

This is more a legal/moral issue.

I paid for a specific 970 configuration (64ROPS, 2048K L2 cache), not a 1792Kb, 56ROPS one.

I just want what I paid for, that's it :P

Sure recall ALL the 970s and replace them with 980s for free, no big deal.  We will just never have another nvidia card ever again... bankrupt.

But I paid for 64ROPS, 2048KB of cache and 4GB of VRAM. Nvidia sold me that. Yes, good performance indeed, but I paid for "specific specifications".

This isn't lollipop, or a dirty pancake, this is a $300+ card.

Or just recall them, and ship new units with 3.5GB of VRAM, and a free game key. That would be a major pain in the arse though.

I already got free game keys with both of my 970s and I have to use garbage ass uPlay to run them. The last thing I want is some games that I don't want. I'd like my extra .5GB of VRAM that I was made to believe I was getting.

Some free games won't make up for lying. At least I'd hope that's what the consumer base for the 970s would think.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))